Is training everyday too much?

BLACK LION

Black Belt
Reaction score
IMHO you can train everyday in something relative without burning out but that really depends on what it is you are doing...

Zero

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I find it really hard to have martial art training up to 24 hours after lifting weights.
Every time I throw jab or cross, I feel this painful tension where the arm connects the forearm.
I'm really surprised and amazed to hear that you're able to fight after lifting weights earlier that day.

You will see that I do have a large gap before my different forms of training. My run is first thing in the morning - so I am not sapped for lifting heavy weights come lunch (1pm). There is also then a decent gap after lifting before I go to train MA. It is also important to think your days through. On a leg work out day I do a low intensity run in the morning - even then I remember it took some time for my body/legs to be able to handle this, at first when I went to do squats after having run my legs already felt like lead - but not now.

As for your tension/tighness in your arm, make sure you warm up and strectch properly. Before a workout I always warm up the particular muscle group and work it thourhg the entire movement range, followed by some light stretching. Post workout I also stretch that muscle group out to avoid any muscle compacting, kinks or inflexibility. Why not stop doing a bicep/tricep workout before your fight/boxing training, do it on the next day if this still bothers you. Also be sure to warm up either before or at your muay thai class before you start throwing punches.

It is incredible how good nutrition and much sleep help you out enduring all these intense trainings.

Yes, given I have a mix of cardio, MA and weights training I go through a truck load of food and supplements a day. Depending on what your natural size is, what weight division you're fighting in and what your other goals are, maybe consider supplements. I take protein shakes throughout the day in between my regular meals, with creatine, glutamine and amino acids thrown in pre-work out. Depending on how serious I am I will also take ZMA and now and then tribullis terrestris. But if you are young and still growing take it easy and just go for the protein for now. Thoroughly research all the other supplements as they need to be taken wisely.

YOu don't need any of the supplements of course, bnut in my experience they do increase rates of muscular development and also importantly, recovery post training. Look at most athletes and professional sports people, they are definitely using supplements.

I'm thinking to myself, what advices could I get from you in order to be able to work out hard and avoid injuries but it seems like my body reacts totally different than how yours reacts to intense and frequent workouts.

As put above, timing your training correctly and staggering it with appropriate breaks through the day - not back-to-back, should help. Also, as you have said, the correct diet and adequate sleep is also essential so you don't burn out.

I'm sure if you're not geriatric (no offense to all the 80 year old 10th dans still doing side splits out there!) and of decent health you should be able to handle this. Look at the likes of George St Piere from UFC, Fedor from Pride, the late great Andy Hug from K1 and (most) boxers such as Evander. They split their days and train(ed) as a full time job (hey, I know it's tough for us already with full time jobs!!).

Also I have been training like this for a long time, and I can't remember but maybe I eased into things so if you're relatively new to training just take it easy and build up slowly.

kingkong89

Green Belt
Reaction score
Y not bruce lee trained every day as do most of us it makes you better at your style as well as keep u in shape i say there is no harm in what you are doin keep up the good work

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hey,

Every day I have a 1:30 hour workout – 1 hour for the main part (Muay Thai, weight lifting, cardio) and 30 minutes for stretches.

Each week comprises 2 Muay Thai trainings, 3 weight lifting sessions, and 2 cardio workouts, and it goes like this:
MT, weights, MT, weights, cardio, weights, cardio.
Monday and Wednesday are fixed for MT, since that’s my gym's schedule.

I wanted to ask for your opinion about it.
Is it too much?

Thanks guys.

I dont think its too much. Of course, depending on how hard you go each day, may take more of a toll on your body. IMO, its good to give at least 1-2 days of rest. Our body is an amazing machine, but if its over worked, you'll eventually feel the effects of it. Mix it up a bit. Those days that you're not feeling 100%, go a bit lighter with your workouts.

TigerLove

Green Belt
Reaction score
From person to person..also depends how do you train.

I train six time a week: 2 times hapkido classes, 2 times weight lifting, 1 time tai chi (or some other martial arts related training), 1 time jogging. I have no selected day for rest - i take it when i need it. But, i think a key to my training (maybe it's a placebo ;)) is the fact that once in 2 months i take 2 weeks of completely resting..that helps me very much.

tallgeese

Green Belt
Reaction score
As most have said, if you're body is responding well then it's not too much. I agree that eating well and sleeping good are two key components the heavy training regimens.

Make sure that you're allowing some sort of recovery, either by alternating what your training with, or your focus, or your intensity. There's nothing wrong with an "active rest day" now and again. Recovery is key to allowing improvement.

Lastly, with a heavy training cycle, don't be afraid to take a week off now and again. After a competition that I've been working for hard, I'll usually take a week off of anything beyond "active rest" just to give my body a break.

It can be refreshing and keep the burnout factor down.

sfs982000

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I would make sure to take at least one day off a week from everything. Do nothing physical at all. Eat extra and sleep extra. Growth only occurs during rest periods, as Bill points out with his example. I've trained every day for weeks on end, because i could, I had to force myself to stop and take rest days. Look at the gyms, the biggest guys are not the ones who work or train the hardest, they are the one's who train, the smartest.

Excellent points. The keys things are balancing your workouts with your rest and diet. Taking time off for some maybe hard, but in the long run is the best thing for your body. Varying your workouts and changing things up routinely definitely helps out as well.