Is training everyday too much?

alphacat

Green Belt
Reaction score
Hey,

Every day I have a 1:30 hour workout – 1 hour for the main part (Muay Thai, weight lifting, cardio) and 30 minutes for stretches.

Each week comprises 2 Muay Thai trainings, 3 weight lifting sessions, and 2 cardio workouts, and it goes like this:
MT, weights, MT, weights, cardio, weights, cardio.
Monday and Wednesday are fixed for MT, since that’s my gym's schedule.

I wanted to ask for your opinion about it.
Is it too much?

Thanks guys.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
If training every day is too much, there are a lot of us who are in trouble...
I do semi-random combinations of forms, cardio, weight training, sparring, and bag work at home, plus 2-3 hours 3 days a week at the dojang.

OP
A

alphacat

Green Belt
Reaction score
It has probably got a lot to do with your goals.

I was more interested in knowing whether the human body can handle such workout schedule in the long run.

My main goal is to be able to workout and take Muay Thai lessons until I'm too old for this, hopefully I'll still have the passion for it.
I mean, I don’t want my body worn out at my 30s (I'm 22yo).

I see how much I enjoy it right now, and I wanna keep being able to enjoy it 20 years from now.

Ken Morgan

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Depends, how much are you eating and how much sleep do you get.

xJOHNx

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Listen to your body.

Getting a day of rest in between would be better in my opinion. Because muscles take generally 48 hours to recover from serious weight training (the burn you feel afterwards) are micro trauma. Which some physiologists think is necessary to make your muscles grow. So a day of recovery could possibly spare you some minor injuries.

Most people with serious injuries (thinking of ruptured achillestendon) have mutilple small injuries who gradually become more serious. They just don't listen to the signals. (except ofcourse people who are in serious accidents, than wear and tear isn't the initial cause).

If you don't train weights that hard, you should be fine though. But doing weights and MT every day is a bit overkill. Not the first 8 months, but afterwards maybe. But you should really go on your own feelings on this.

OP
A

alphacat

Green Belt
Reaction score
Yes, you're correct.
Eating right and getting as many hours of sleep as possible are very important for the recovery of the body.

I usually sleep about 6-7 hours a day.

OP
A

alphacat

Green Belt
Reaction score
Listen to your body.

Getting a day of rest in between would be better in my opinion. Because muscles take generally 48 hours to recover from serious weight training (the burn you feel afterwards) are micro trauma. Which some physiologists think is necessary to make your muscles grow. So a day of recovery could possibly spare you some minor injuries.

Most people with serious injuries (thinking of ruptured achillestendon) have mutilple small injuries who gradually become more serious. They just don't listen to the signals. (except ofcourse people who are in serious accidents, than wear and tear isn't the initial cause).

If you don't train weights that hard, you should be fine though. But doing weights and MT every day is a bit overkill. Not the first 8 months, but afterwards maybe. But you should really go on your own feelings on this.
You've raised up good points.

I'll think about it and perhaps won't have a weight lifting session a day before MT training, or just lower down the intensity of that weight lifting workout which is followed by the MT training.

Thank you.

xJOHNx

Purple Belt
Reaction score
No problem, it's all about finding balance :)

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I wanted to ask for your opinion about it.
Is it too much?

It would be too much for me, but I don't know if it would be too much for you. I'm 48, and my body takes longer to heal after a hard workout, and injuries heal more slowly, too. I go to the gym 2x - 3x a week, and do the dojo the other 2x a week, but I take the weekends off training. So I work out either 4 or 5 days a week, but not as hard as you're describing. I usually run 3 miles on the treadmill, sometimes do some light weight-lifting, and when I'm in the dojo we always start with some good calisthenics. That's pretty light compared to what you're describing, but any more and my body never stops hurting.

NOTE: When I was in USMC boot camp, a million years ago, we worked out very very hard for 13 straight weeks every single day. I noticed my biggest jump in capability the day after we had a one-week 'mess week' when we just handed out food to other recruits for a week. It was that layoff from all the running, situps, pullups, etc, that gave my body time to recover. I went from like 13 pullups to over 20 in that one week. Just FYI.

Ken Morgan

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I would make sure to take at least one day off a week from everything. Do nothing physical at all. Eat extra and sleep extra. Growth only occurs during rest periods, as Bill points out with his example. I've trained every day for weeks on end, because i could, I had to force myself to stop and take rest days. Look at the gyms, the biggest guys are not the ones who work or train the hardest, they are the one's who train, the smartest.

Bruno@MT

Senior Master
Reaction score
Listen to your body. If you train smart, you should be able to handle it.
Alternate different training regimens on different days, change focus (legs, arms, stamina) etc every day and if your body complains, listen to it.

Bas Rutten mentioned in an interview that he would never fight again, because he had simply trained his body into destruction by training hard but stupid.

Deaf Smith

Master of Arts
Reaction score
It can be alphacat.

You can get so sore and tired that the next day you can't put 100 percent of yourself into training.

I find working out 4 days a week the most efficient for me. And different days, different kinds of workouts.

Deaf

Josh Oakley

Senior Master
Supporting Member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I would encourage taking a one day off a week. It helps things rebuild better.

Zero

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Around (and within) a long working day I put in as much training as I can.
I go for a 35-45 minute run 4 times a week in the morning before showering up for the office.
I eat while working so come lunch I can devote the hour to weight training, which I do 6 times a week:
Mon - Legs (squats, calf raises, romanian deadlifts for hammies, leg press, seated calf raised)
Tues - Chest (benchpress, incline flies, decline bench, cable crossovers)
Weds - Shoulders (military dumbells, seated bar, standing bar (behind head), side raises, cable work and light weights for rotator cuff)
Thrs - Biceps (standing eazibar, seated preacher curls - dumbells, standing curls - dumbells or cables, brachial side raises)
Fri - Back (deadlifts, upright rows, seated flies, cable pulldowns (and chuck in dumbell bench press for good measure just so the chest gets it again)
Sat - Triceps (Skull crushers, cable pulldown: unilateral and then bilateral; overhead, kick-backs)

I lift heavy and it is pretty much a serious weight lifters regime. I try to avoid legs anywhere near Weds and Fri, as those nights I do stand-up fight training. Sunday I do mma and ground work. Aside from the mma 1.5 hours, I take Sunday off.

I also have a heavy bag in the garage and work my punches and kicks as much as I can in my own time.

I use a lot of supplements though, lots of protein, aminos and creatine, also minerals/vits, on top of a lot of meals. And you're right on the sleep, I try for 7 - 8 hours.

Leading up to a fight, I avoid serious weights for the two weeks leading in (and no weights for the week before) to avoid injuries or over fatiguing. I switch focus purely to skills/techniques and mental preparation. I also take it easy and do "cruisy" runs to keep cardio up but avoid any risk of injury or fatigue.

As others have said, depends what you're training for. When I used to compete regularly and seriously I trained even more, with more sessions at the fight club and more focus on cardio/endurance. I've been doing MA and fighting for twenty years and as long as you train smart to avoid serious injury you should be fine.

OP
A

alphacat

Green Belt
Reaction score
Zero,

I'm really amazed by the great effort you put.
Its like you're driven by something beyond me.

You sound like a mixture of a bodybuilder and a fighter.

I find it really hard to have martial art training up to 24 hours after lifting weights.
Every time I throw jab or cross, I feel this painful tension where the arm connects the forearm.
I'm really surprised and amazed to hear that you're able to fight after lifting weights earlier that day.

It is incredible how good nutrition and much sleep help you out enduring all these intense trainings.

I'm thinking to myself, what advices could I get from you in order to be able to work out hard and avoid injuries but it seems like my body reacts totally different than how yours reacts to intense and frequent workouts.

KELLYG

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I think that a person's training pattern should be individual thing. I usually train to 5 times a week. Any more than that I am just going back wards. It also depends on the type of work out. If you are doing a medium type work out every day is OK. If you are going all out until your muscles reach exhaustion then more rest is required. I sometimes take a week off to just let every thing get better.

ATC

Senior Master
Reaction score
Each person is different. Some can train everyday others can't. Only you know how you feel and what is right for you.

However I do believe that you need to take a day or two every now and then to just rest and let your body recover some. It may take some time for you to use trial and error to find out just what is your bodies best methods for training and how often and what to do.

Remember everyone is different.

kungfu penguin

Green Belt
Reaction score
even god took a day off also make sure your are getting protein and good carbs and minerals into your body or all your hard work is for naught. PS i wish i could sleep like you my sleep patterns suck and they have for 30 + years get a days rest / week your body will thank you keep up the great intensity though

Latest Discussions