Training methods for physical fitness

runnerninja

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
A poster on a wing chung thread said he doesnt do weight training because it contradicts wing chung training. From what I read on this thread it was largely because of the effects of weight training on flexability. Is this the same in ninjutsu? I have done many different sports, all of which benefit greatly from weight training(If done properly. I realise there is no point in a marathon runner using weights to bulk up and improve explosive power). It is even used in gymnastics where a high level of flexability is nexessary.

What training methods do people use to improve/maintain their physical fitness. I do a lot of running(does my name give that away?) but also like to include cycling, swimming and football. During the winter I would do regular weights sessions and like circuits as they are great for achieving a high level of fitness in a short space of time aswell as keeping the weight down while allowing you to build a lot of strength.

nathan3

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
We do some strength training at my school, but we always balance it with flexibility training afterward. I would think (though I'm certainly no expert) that weight training would be good and beneficial, provided that you continued to work on flexibility.

bydand

Senior Master
Reaction score
Agree with nathan. I think a bit of weight training does wonders, as long as it isn't the only thing you do with Ninjutsu. The drawback I have seen isn't the lack of flexability, but the tendenancy to try and muscle through a technique as your strength increases. As long as you continue with good movement, extra strength is an added bonus.

Highland Ninja

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Lots of walking. And Pilates is fantastic since it builds the core and makes you more graceful. Yoga would be another good choice.

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
If your in an area where you can try tree climbing and rock climbing
swimming is excellent but remember to stretch also

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Running, swimming, weight training, pylometrics, walking, etc. all are important to be fit and in shape. This will only help your taijutsu as long as you don't overdue it or rely on it when practicing your taijutsu.
icon6.gif

Logan

Green Belt
Reaction score
A poster on a wing chung thread said he doesnt do weight training because it contradicts wing chung training. From what I read on this thread it was largely because of the effects of weight training on flexability.

It is scientifically proven, countless times, that proper weight training will enhance sport-specific activities. The stronger you are the more responsive your body is to flexibility training, and despite some old-fashioned views, you can do techniques with more control and relaxation.

The problem is with individuals who may rush/muscle techniques but this is not the fault of weight training - more a habit of beginners.

As a martial artists people generally train for two things (a) their martial arts and (b) their health. The combination of these two factors is dependant on the individual and varies with age.

Cardio/endurance/conditioning, strength, and flexibility training complements both. Technique is MA specific.

You can train specific elements such as strength/endurance/flexibility through the practice methods of training your techniques.

Supplementary training such as yoga,pilates, weight training etc. should be used to enhance areas you are weak at e.g. flexibility etc.

althaur

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Weight training done PROPERLY should improve flexibility also. People often use too much weight which keeps them from using a full range of motion. Lower the weight a bit so you can control it.

newtothe dark

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Some low weight/tension range of motion exercises also help. I do taichi moves with very low weights on a cable system done REAL slow it helps with ligament and tendon strength as well as flexibility. Might also be able to use bands or something like total gym type equipment (not a sales pitch I dont own one, insert disclaimer here) Like was mentioned earlier though its the full range of motion. I belive taijutsu is that in a nut shell "body movement" so that I would imagine (as I am very new to this art) is the goal to use the total body it the movements which can be done with weights and resistance in a reasonable amount.

WORDZ3

White Belt
Reaction score
I practice walking around my neighborhood blindfolded on tip toes.

Lazarus

White Belt
Reaction score
Noticed that we both run and cycle, I started running a few years back and after a year or so I noticed how much farther I can run, so running is good practice at times, right?

Richard Harris

White Belt
Reaction score
I think cardio is one of the best things a person can do for there well-being in martial science and life. i do incorperate weights. I find that there is a balance in that as well. I power build for strenghth and use very low weight for endurence, much like running. The thing about combat is that you never know what the situation will be like.
Thanks for reading.

Richard Harris AL-Bujinkan

Latest Discussions