Training in 2 Different Karate Styles Simultaneously

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
After you are competent in any art you could learn another in a few days. Search for the meaning of the martial art. The war between heaven and earth what is the way, the moon shows the difference between right and wrong. Are you an all seeing mind like the moon! Does the sun and moon salute your organs? Do world become from your orbit. Why not ask for enlightenment from those who went before? they promised to teach you? you paid for it! Now you get it. Lots of people need to make a commitment you it seems have take flowers and a bottle of cheap scotch and tell your teacher you need more than an *** kicking and see what happens

That's nonsense no matter how good you are you absolutely can't learn another martial art in a few days

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
In a nutshell, yes. As far as where the techniques are being thrown from the Ashihara stylist seeks to do so from the blindspot position and off the centerline of attack.

Correct again and as I've noted earlier this will be really the biggest difference between the two styles that may take quite a bit of time to adjust to. Maybe, maybe not.

The three differences that I have been able to ascertain (which are negligible in my opinion) are that 1) Enshin takes the concept of circular movements a little further than the Ashihara style and relies a little more on grabbing the gi/clothing than Ashihara to facilitate this, 2) Kancho Ninomiya designed his own "fighting kata" for Enshin Karate and 3) Enshin has incorporated modified Judo throws (which I think are awesome!) Joko Ninomiya is also a BB in Judo. And to answer your question, Ashihara Karate as a system does not incorporate Enshin Karate's Judo throws but I see nothing wrong with an Ashihara Karateka incorporating Judo throws in his or her personal toolbox. In fact, I personally encourage it.

Do you train Seido Juku at the Hombu Dojo? If so, I am assuming that you are in the New York City area.

Take Care and Have A Good Night,
Osu!

I'm about 2.5 hours north of NYC. People from the dojo I train at regularly go to honbu and Kaicho Nakamura's Westchester dojo, but it hasn't worked out with my schedule yet. I have attended some special workout stuff with Kaicho teaching though.

Reaction score
Yeah it's more like 6 months to complete a training cycle. After that if you don't have a working knowledge of what you are doing you will forget it anyway and start trying to fill in the gaps with something else. Each belt should take approximately that long and have a key in it for the working knowledge of that belt. When you get to certain belts it might take longer because you are working on completing a corse of study on a body of knowledge that is contained in more than one thing. The actual training time is longer but the completed body of knowledge ends at the end of each training session it grows with your training. From the post I read a new style of martial arts Will give you a false sense of reaching a goal simply because you have not talked about spending your own time digesting the curriculum you already know. I am not trying to be funny when I say being force fed martial arts will neverify make you a martial artist. Nor will you ever be a great martial artist without doing your homework. Others will tell you greattach do this do that keep yourself bussy. I will say take 6 months focus on something you like in martial arts. I like this, two man set, joint locks, throwing, sparing set,five star, four circles,etc... then accuire all the techniques that involved you might have the whole picture you might have to find things to fill spaces you might have to complete the square you might have to make something up. But focus on that thing. Work on it every day for at least 20mins. I'm not saying work out I'm saying work on! Pick something work on it. Try to make it a complete system of thought and how does it interact with the opponent is it soft,hard, do you push here, press there, is there hidden movement's, grey matter, smears. What is the movement what does it relate to is it a tail chi symbol, a square, the 8 trigrams, a star, does it have a animal shape. All these things are part of the training. But the only person who can do it is you. Set aside 6 months practice that one thing go to classes watch others have a second to practice your one thing with someone else. If you are training like this and did for several months it will take about 3 tries to master the technique you are working. No need for a training partner except for a few seconds a week. Your in a school probably 3 hours a week working out. You should be yue fei kwan by now!

hoshin1600

Senior Master
Reaction score
Yeah it's more like 6 months to complete a training cycle. After that if you don't have a working knowledge of what you are doing you will forget it anyway and start trying to fill in the gaps with something else. Each belt should take approximately that long and have a key in it for the working knowledge of that belt. When you get to certain belts it might take longer because you are working on completing a corse of study on a body of knowledge that is contained in more than one thing. The actual training time is longer but the completed body of knowledge ends at the end of each training session it grows with your training. From the post I read a new style of martial arts Will give you a false sense of reaching a goal simply because you have not talked about spending your own time digesting the curriculum you already know. I am not trying to be funny when I say being force fed martial arts will neverify make you a martial artist. Nor will you ever be a great martial artist without doing your homework. Others will tell you greattach do this do that keep yourself bussy. I will say take 6 months focus on something you like in martial arts. I like this, two man set, joint locks, throwing, sparing set,five star, four circles,etc... then accuire all the techniques that involved you might have the whole picture you might have to find things to fill spaces you might have to complete the square you might have to make something up. But focus on that thing. Work on it every day for at least 20mins. I'm not saying work out I'm saying work on! Pick something work on it. Try to make it a complete system of thought and how does it interact with the opponent is it soft,hard, do you push here, press there, is there hidden movement's, grey matter, smears. What is the movement what does it relate to is it a tail chi symbol, a square, the 8 trigrams, a star, does it have a animal shape. All these things are part of the training. But the only person who can do it is you. Set aside 6 months practice that one thing go to classes watch others have a second to practice your one thing with someone else. If you are training like this and did for several months it will take about 3 tries to master the technique you are working. No need for a training partner except for a few seconds a week. Your in a school probably 3 hours a week working out. You should be yue fei kwan by now!

i am sure you are sincere in your post. but honestly i have a hard time understanding what you are saying.
it doesnt matter how many styles you learn or how many hours put in, it will take a life time just to understand one art never mind multiple arts.

Reaction score
Pretty much! I've been doing martial arts for 26 years and would say, I have never had to use it in the manner people would think. Have used skills like not poring weight into the foot you step on to save my life. And used situational training which saved me from getting shot. Sometimes it's not the punching and kicking that are the best lessons

OP
Psilent Knight

Psilent Knight

Blue Belt
Reaction score
After you are competent in any art you could learn another in a few days. Search for the meaning of the martial art. The war between heaven and earth what is the way, the moon shows the difference between right and wrong. Are you an all seeing mind like the moon! Does the sun and moon salute your organs? Do world become from your orbit. Why not ask for enlightenment from those who went before? they promised to teach you? you paid for it! Now you get it. Lots of people need to make a commitment you it seems have take flowers and a bottle of cheap scotch and tell your teacher you need more than an *** kicking and see what happens

Hello Grandmaster Yue,

First off I wish to express my humble disagreement that a person can learn ANY martial art in only a few days UNLESS it is the SAME EXACT ART under a different name where the only differences are semantics and political organizations.

Secondly, I have no idea what you are saying in this post. I didn't understand any of it.

Take Care and Have A Good Day,
Osu!

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Different styles will teach you different aspects of the whole concept of martial arts. Going outside your martial arts will show you things about your martial art you cannot see from the inside.

So say like we have there is a guy who does just boxing. Now If he then went and did the wrestling class. rather than go home and watch tv. He is going to learn more about boxing.

This is because wrestling will teach you things boxing cant. Like for example how important cardio and willpower is. Wrestling sparring is able to be done at a higher pace for longer. And so is physically harder.

So when he then goes back and boxes he will have access to those extra skills he has developed. He will be able to dig deeper and perform at a higher level. This is aside from any non boxing skill he may pick up.

OP
Psilent Knight

Psilent Knight

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Different styles will teach you different aspects of the whole concept of martial arts. Going outside your martial arts will show you things about your martial art you cannot see from the inside.

So say like we have there is a guy who does just boxing. Now If he then went and did the wrestling class. rather than go home and watch tv. He is going to learn more about boxing.

This is because wrestling will teach you things boxing cant. Like for example how important cardio and willpower is. Wrestling sparring is able to be done at a higher pace for longer. And so is physically harder.

So when he then goes back and boxes he will have access to those extra skills he has developed. He will be able to dig deeper and perform at a higher level. This is aside from any non boxing skill he may pick up.

That was an awesome post drop bear. Thank You! :)

Take Care,
Osu!

Reaction score
Hello Grandmaster Yue,

First off I wish to express my humble disagreement that a person can learn ANY martial art in only a few days UNLESS it is the SAME EXACT ART under a different name where the only differences are semantics and political organizations.

Secondly, I have no idea what you are saying in this post. I didn't understand any of it.

Take Care and Have A Good Day,
Osu!
I'm just saying that most arts you can find now are tao, Arts. You can really learn one in a day if they are tao, Arts. If you have as I mentioned earlier already learned A tao,Art. The reference to the moon was the picture that your hands draw during practice singularly or during practice. The reference to an all seeing mind like the moon is a reference to disapline of the mind to work this way, footwork, follows the star pattern or the moon. So can handwork, you can also follow the big dipper or 5 star around the circle in a position like a arm bar your arms would correspond to the position of the stars. There is rare masterpiece Arts that don't follow the tao,Arts. But are as I said rare.

elder999

El Oso de Dios!
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm just saying that most arts you can find now are tao, Arts. You can really learn one in a day if they are tao, Arts. If you have as I mentioned earlier already learned A tao,Art. The reference to the moon was the picture that your hands draw during practice singularly or during practice. The reference to an all seeing mind like the moon is a reference to disapline of the mind to work this way, footwork, follows the star pattern or the moon. So can handwork, you can also follow the big dipper or 5 star around the circle in a position like a arm bar your arms would correspond to the position of the stars. There is rare masterpiece Arts that don't follow the tao,Arts. But are as I said rare.
rolling.gif

Latest Discussions