Talent

A

adrenaline

Just wondering, anyone in here who thinks they know someone who is actually naturally gifted at the Martial Arts or themselves are. I just find people like that quite interesting, like when you taught a new technique you spend like weeks learning how to do it properly and they just learn it perfectly in a few days, also is it possible to be naturally good at martial arts but not have other aspects of it like stamina ? Just a thought........

tarabos

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
i've met plenty of people that are just natural atheletes and can grasp physical movements better than more uncoordinated people. i don't think they're very rare...but it does make instruction a whole lot easier when someone can pick something up quickly.

stamina is a whole different story. i've always believed that there are different types of stamina. we've had people come up to train that can run 5 miles no problem, but when they get into the stress of using their whole body to do something like spar or even just a simple cardio kickboxing class...they gas out quick because their bodies aren't used to it.

everybody's different...

OP
I

Idaten

I learn kicks, punches, and blocks ver quickly, however, I have some trouble with katas.

karatekid1975

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
My technique sucked at first, but it's a lot better now. I can learn a WTF TKD form in an hour or less. I pick up on new step sparring combos easily, also. But I still suck at sparring. When it comes to breaking, I feel that I'm a natural.

Bod

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I was born awful at all things physical, but years of training have finally made me poor to mediocre, rather than just plain abysmal.

There is a chap at our Judo club who is so good at picking things up it is silly. He is quick, fluid, skillful and has a tremendous sense of balance. He went from White to Brown belt in about a year, unheard of in Judo, and will probably be black by the time the year is out.

My Judo teacher says he hasn't seen anything like it in over sixty years of teaching Judo.

If only I could be like that.

OP
A

Abbax8

Here's a story for you. Once this guy walks into my class before anyone else was there. I was on the mat warming up. He asked me if I was the judo instructor. I said yes. He asked if I would be willing to train him. I asked why did he want to learn judo. Heres's where it gets funny. It turns out the guy is a former Navy SEAL. He was retired from the service, working one job, and working as a bouncer to make extra money. I said , "didn't your SEAL training
teach you enough to be a bouncer?" He answered, "Everything they taught is real bad for business, the customers would end up dead!" So I started to teach him. It was a dream. I showed a hip throw, once. He did the hip throw. I should him a leg sweep, once. He did the leg sweep. This continued for about 25 throws and various holds and locks over a two week period. I could show him anything one time and he could do it. Simply amazing! What a gift.

Peace
Dennis

OP
S

Shinzu

my instructor is just amazing. even his bad kicks look better than my best ones. he is truly a natural.

when he performs it is like watching michael jordan in mid flight... simply amazimg. it is an honor to train with him.

OP
T

theneuhauser

everyone has strengths and weaknesses. to those of you that think you are slow or clumsy, dont say "I wish i was like that guy". Since we are all different, recognize your own genious and develop it, then minimize your weaknesses. youve probably heard this in some shape or form before.
But to anyone who has doubts, remember the tortoise and the hair story! im a good example. when i was a young'n i started in Aikido. My teacher always praised me. he taught me after class because i soaked it all up so quickly and "relatively" effortlessly. But by about the 4th month everything i had learned began to get jumbled around in my memory. I might as well have started over because my foundation was not deep or solid enough. instead of persisisting, i quit aikido, how stupid!

7starmantis

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
You want to be a well rounded fighter, so you want to notice your problem areas and work on them. No one is the same, so recognize what works good specifically for you and your body and the way you move, and develop it. Don't worry about what this guy can do, its about developing what you can do.

7sm

OP
M

Master of Blades

One of my best freinds is the most talented kicker I have ever sparred with. It just comes naturally to him. Ive been told that Im naturally talented when it comes to grappling and submissions. But what really pisses me off is when I see wasted talent. Another of my freinds is about 6 ft 2 and a big guy. But he is pretty good at kicks and some of the Kali when he came to my class. But he is lazy and wont improve his technique or anything by coming to clkass. I hate that!

OP
L

lvwhitebir

Originally posted by theneuhauser

when i was a young'n i started in Aikido. My teacher always praised me. he taught me after class because i soaked it all up so quickly and "relatively" effortlessly. But by about the 4th month everything i had learned began to get jumbled around in my memory. I might as well have started over because my foundation was not deep or solid enough. instead of persisisting, i quit aikido, how stupid!

I've seen this several times. Someone comes in the school and can learn everything very quickly. Then they progress up to a point where it becomes the least bit difficult, to the point where they actually have to practice it, and they just quit.

When I see a natural, it's inspiring, but I try to get them to work just as hard as everyone else. The way I see it, they have the potential to go so much higher than everyone else simply because they are starting higher. There is a point at which talent can no longer be your only guide, you have to put in the hard work.

WhiteBirch