Training "Both Sides"

Jade Tigress

RAWR
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Do you train both sides? By that, I mean when you learn a technique, do you practice it on both sides, or alternate, or do you practice the technique on one side only with the thought that once it is mastered on the side it is taught, it is easily *flipped* to the untrained side when needed.

I have my own thoughts on this but want to hear some other opinions first.

Paul B

3rd Black Belt
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
We train both sides from Day One.

Everything that we practice,whether it be strikes,kicks,locks,falling,weapons,etc.. must be trainied on both sides. Of course,we all have our "special" side..but that doesn't mean we shouldn't try to develope decent technique with it.

"Grab my wrist..No the other wrist..With your other hand" doesn't work very well,ya know. :lol: I think that when our technique needs to be there..it should be there regardless of our preference of right or left.

mantis

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Jade Tigress said:
Do you train both sides? By that, I mean when you learn a technique, do you practice it on both sides, or alternate, or do you practice the technique on one side only with the thought that once it is mastered on the side it is taught, it is easily *flipped* to the untrained side when needed.

both sides altho one side is significantly more skilled and controlled than the other. In theory you are able to "flip" the technique in practice but in reality this technique should be ready to be "flipped" in your mind. The only way to do so is by practicing the mind by training the other side as well.
good post!

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Yes - every technique is trained on both sides of the body. The non-dominant side may need more training; on the other hand, for myself, I find it varies by technique, but I am often more flexible on my non-dominant side, and have more power on my dominant side - but sometimes that changes depending on what technique I'm doing.

michaeledward

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I do not train techniques on both sides. At this point, I have not yet learned all of the base techniques in American Kenpo, as I understand it. Currently, I have learned 151 or the 159 techniques my instructor lists before beginning the Extentions.

Once I learn all of the techniques, I hopefully will be able to gain a further understanding about the 'family groupings' and what each of the techniques teaches us, I might then be able to find places in the field of study where there are weaknesses left unaddressed. Perhaps those discovered weaknesses could be addressed by running a known technique on the opposite side.

But for the moment, my instructor, and his instructor, do not train these techniques on the other side.

Of course, if someone grabs my left lapel with their left hand, the opposite of Delayed Sword will work, but so will Snapping Twig as it is taught will work, won't it? That may be an over-simplification, but I'll have to wait until I have more base knowledge to find out, I think.

OP
Jade Tigress

Jade Tigress

RAWR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
michaeledward said:
But for the moment, my instructor, and his instructor, do not train these techniques on the other side.

Of course, if someone grabs my left lapel with their left hand, the opposite of Delayed Sword will work, but so will Snapping Twig as it is taught will work, won't it? That may be an over-simplification, but I'll have to wait until I have more base knowledge to find out, I think.

I understand what you're saying and it's what I was trying to say by "flipping" the technique when needed.

Personally, I believe you have to train both sides. The non-dominant side may take more work and training, but how do you get something into "muscle memory" if the muscles aren't trained?

SFC JeffJ

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Also both sides from day one. Of course my dominant side is much better than my weak side, and always will be. There is one technique in our style that I've only seen one person be able to consistently do weak side though, the third variation of Ni-Ho Nage. I told myself I'd be able to do it weak side as well as strong, but have yet to be able to do it. Just need more practice at it.

JeffJ

stickarts

Senior Master
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
We do work both sides, although I admit, not equally. My right side is sttronger and probably always will be.
Maybe this is something for me to work on!

Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I have to agree that when I fight and spar I most likely will execute a right handed technique.

Although I do train both the dominate and non-dominate, but while not 100% equal on both sides I can hit and throw with both hands and also I prefer to swim with the breath stroke being left, so I just go with the flow on what feels best for me.

But yes I work both sides and also teach both sides.

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
We train both sides
we even have some of the students do their forms beginning to end going in the opposite direction ( i first move was a right front stance then they start with a left front stance, etc.)

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I've always been an advocate of training both sides. It took me a few years before I even realized that not everyone does this.

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Paul B said:
"Grab my wrist..No the other wrist..With your other hand" doesn't work very well,ya know. :lol: quote]

That's right up there with, "Wait Mr. Bad Guy, I have to stretch before I kick you." :rofl:

I think working from both sides is VITAL to MA training. Having difficulties w/ my right side from Cerebral Palsy, I'd have never worked my right side had my instructor constantly pushed using both sides. The only thing I'm abidextrous with IS sparring. When I boxed, I was a Southpaw who would switch mine opponent got comfortable.

Because you can't say, "Grab my other wrist."

Bigshadow

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Jade Tigress said:

That is a good question. First I will say, I don't train both sides consistently or even frequently. My opinion is that when you learn how to do something left handed, you can do it right handed. The caveat is that the "other" side will not have the finesse to do it with elegance. Take writing for instance. I am left handed when I write. Sure I can write with my right hand, but it isn't as elegant. But it works. I am not against training the "other" side, I just don't do it regulary. But we do from time to time. When we do, it isn't *that* much different, it doesn't feel unnatural or new, maybe a little awkward, but that is it.

So my answer would be, it probably would depend on your training goals. Just my opinions on the subject.

Bigshadow

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Jade Tigress said:
but how do you get something into "muscle memory" if the muscles aren't trained?
My arguement to that is that "muscle memory" really has nothing to do with the muscles but what the brain perceives or feels. The brain can flip these things quite easily. Say for instance, how often do you eat with the fork in your left hand? However, I bet you could easily pick of the fork with the left hand and eat? no? That is how the brain can flip the "technique" to the other side. IMHO, I am not convinced one has to constantly do the same thing on both sides.

pstarr

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
We train both sides from day one.

I will say that "muscle memory" really does have a lot to do with the muscles - and the idea of the brain being able to effectively "flip", say, a right-handed movement to the left side without much trouble just isn't true.

Sure, you can use a fork with your left hand to eat. But try to do it quickly. :)

It is absolutely essential to train both sides of the body.

Adept

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Bigshadow said:
My arguement to that is that "muscle memory" really has nothing to do with the muscles but what the brain perceives or feels. The brain can flip these things quite easily. Say for instance, how often do you eat with the fork in your left hand? However, I bet you could easily pick of the fork with the left hand and eat? no? That is how the brain can flip the "technique" to the other side. IMHO, I am not convinced one has to constantly do the same thing on both sides.

Sure. Now try putting the computer mouse on the left hand side of your computer. A lot harder to use, no? Now try writing left handed. Again, much harder. If you don't practice something, you won't be able to do it as smoothly as you could if you did practice it.

You're right in that muscle memory is a misnomer. Muscles cannot remember anything. What does happen is that frequently used nerve connections become stronger and faster, from your fingertips all the way to your brain. However, doing something constantly with one side (such as eating with a fork) will only reinforce the nerves required to do that thing on that one side. The other side will remain untrained. You can't just 'flip' your training over.

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Jade Tigress said:

I have worked a number of techniques on the left side. Many times this has been done while teaching. For example: when teaching someone a new tech. it was often easier for them to get the 'mental picture' if I was standing in front of them. I'd do the tech. on the left or the right, depending on the tech. and they'd simply mirror my movements.

Mike

Bigshadow

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Adept said:
Sure. Now try putting the computer mouse on the left hand side of your computer. A lot harder to use, no? Now try writing left handed. Again, much harder. If you don't practice something, you won't be able to do it as smoothly as you could if you did practice it.
Actually, if you read my first post, I stated the other side wouldn't have the finesse. I do argue the level of difficulty, though. I don't believe the level of difficulty is significantly different, to the extent it could be death in a survival situation. I don't disagree there is a difference.