Kyan Kihon Exercises

chinto01

Black Belt
Reaction score
Hello all. I am doing some research and am looking for posts from people who either know the Kyan Kihon exercises or may know people who know them. I would like to encorporate them into my training. Any help would be appreciated.

In the spirit of bushido!

Rob

TimoS

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Dead thread, I know, but let's see if we can revive this :)

Last year I was visiting the chief instructor for Seibukan Europe, Measara sensei and I was discussing history with him (well, ok, he did most of the talking, I just listened and nodded my head every once in a while :)). Anyway, he told me he had interviewed my old okinawan sensei about what the training was like back when they started. He was told that back then there weren't any separate kihon exercises, but they would start straight with kata. Sensei would show maybe one move and then the application to it. They would then practise those. Next time sensei might show the next move in kata and again the applications and so on. The kihon and other exercises came later on. Granted, I think he was saying that he heard this from some Uechi ryu 10. dan (can't remember his name anymore), but I think this kind of thinking/practising was prevalent with Kyan also. For example, I read somewhere that Zenryo sensei would start new students with Seisan.

BrandonLucas

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Dead thread, I know, but let's see if we can revive this :)

Last year I was visiting the chief instructor for Seibukan Europe, Measara sensei and I was discussing history with him (well, ok, he did most of the talking, I just listened and nodded my head every once in a while :)). Anyway, he told me he had interviewed my old okinawan sensei about what the training was like back when they started. He was told that back then there weren't any separate kihon exercises, but they would start straight with kata. Sensei would show maybe one move and then the application to it. They would then practise those. Next time sensei might show the next move in kata and again the applications and so on. The kihon and other exercises came later on. Granted, I think he was saying that he heard this from some Uechi ryu 10. dan (can't remember his name anymore), but I think this kind of thinking/practising was prevalent with Kyan also. For example, I read somewhere that Zenryo sensei would start new students with Seisan.

I'm not familiar with this term at all, as I'm sure there are others on here that are not familiar with it either. Would you mind explaining what Kyan Kihon is? I'm very interested in exactly what it is judging from your response.

TimoS

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I'm not familiar with this term at all, as I'm sure there are others on here that are not familiar with it either. Would you mind explaining what Kyan Kihon is? I'm very interested in exactly what it is judging from your response.

I'm just guessing here, but could it mean some special kihon exercises that Kyan sensei reputedly taught? But if my guess is correct, he didn't really teach kihon, just kata

TimoS

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Ok, had a word about this also with my contact. He didn't know if this kind of "Kyan kihon" existed or not, but he speculated that there might have been something like that. Kyan wrote that you first need to know moves, forms (maybe this refers to stances, I am translating this from a chat held in
finnish :)) and stepping, then kata and finally kumite. Also in Seibukan and in Nakazato Joen's style Shorinji ryu Kyudokan there are basic technique exercises that are done in place (we call them Kihon renshu) and moving back and forth (zenshin kotai). However, this similarity between these two styles could also be because Joen Nakazato and Zenryo Shimabukuro trained together, but as they both were Kyan's students, they could've "inherited" these kind of exercises from their teacher.

Oh, and of course I am assuming the Kyan mentioned in the original post is indeed Chotoku Kyan. If not, then forget everything I said :D

Latest Discussions