strong side forward

cfr

Black Belt
Reaction score
What styles typically fight with they're strong side forward? Of you that do it who started off weak side forward, are you now more comfortable this way? Can you punch/ kick as effectively as when you were doing the weak side forward? If you trained strong side forward for a while and suddenly went to a new school that didnt employ this technique, would you go back to your original stance?

Zepp

Master of Arts
Reaction score
The woods of Marin County, California, USA
Several different instructors of several different arts have told me that which side you put forward is a matter of personal preference. Generally I start with my strong side forward in sparring in TKD class, but I'll switch depending on which side my opponent's stance is facing and how I feel I should attack at a particular time.

Devil's advocate question: shouldn't you ideally train your weaker side to be nearly as effective as your strong side?

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
well if you are working out both sides should be almost the same, if not then I would start weaker side out for more power with the back leg... GOD BLESS AMERICA

F

Firona

JKD teaches strong side foreward. According to good ol' Bruce this is to make sure your best hand can reach the enemy quicker. I generally switch between both stances however because it's good to be able to fight both ways, substituting power for speed due to having the step in advantage or having your hand closer to your opponent. On top of that I don't like fighting standing next to a person (i.e. my left hand foreward and their right hand forward...)

bart

Brown Belt
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Hey There,

There's a lot of FMA that fights strong side forward. When you read history especially before the advent of firearms you come to feel that it was the standard before. Boxing also teaches to fight strong side forward.

In the FMA that was because the art was needed "because the enemy is coming tomorrow!" and you didn't have time to go over the weak side. During the course of training you do develop the odd side, but there is always the strong emphasis on being one sided. Many people who have been doing the art for decades will be thrown for a loop if you ask them to do a technique on the left side.

G

Gary Crawford

I have been adapting myself to JKD over the last several years and "strong side forward" has been a major change for me.I really like it because I have a really fast jab and since I have to use my weaker side do the power strikes,I have to depend more on hip rotation to make it happen.For example: rear power straight punch,since I have less than desired power in my left arm,I absolutely have to have the correct quikness in my hips and legs,when I do this correctly,my arm is just going along for the ride and hits much harder than I ever thought I would.I really enjoy the fact that my strong side lead allows me to open up my opponent much quicker than the other way,which gives me better oportunities to strike.I don't always stay in a strong side lead,but I always start that way.

TigerWoman

Senior Master
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I would naturally go to a right stance, left leg forward because I naturally kick better with my right leg. But if you are really practicing in class its better to work both sides, especially the weaker side to get better. Besides the stances change as the opponent changes and its better to not be predictable anyway. Hard to throw a spin side kick from a right stance on your left leg, impossible really. And if your opponent always expects you to do it from a right stance, right leg spin side, you become predictable. TW

Sarah

Senior Master
Reaction score
When I trained in Wing Chun Do I had strong side forward, now that I train in TKD/Kickboxing I start with weak side forward and change between the two depending on my opponent.

W

WLMantisKid

I naturally stand weak side forward.

the weak leg is deceptive and fast, and a kick followed by some step in punches can do the job.

O

OC Kid

I have strong techniques for what ever side I have fwd, left leg fwd for example I use lead leg kicks jab/back knuckle body ridge/hook
Right leg fwd I use same jab.back knuckle body rear leg kicks (high) lead leg kicks low. all with equal power and speed.
I thikn any good system or instructor should develope techniques for what ever side is fwd. You can't choose when and how you'll be attacked. But you can be prepared.

Feisty Mouse

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
JKD - strong side forward. It works for me in part because although it's my strong side, my more worn-out joints are on that side - so if I take a glancing blow to the knee, I still have my strong joint to stand on to kick, my less problematic shoulder if I go in to clinch, etc.

mj-hi-yah

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I prefer my strong side forward. In Kenpo many of our techniques favor right-handers, but at second black in my school (and I've heard of other Kenpo schools that do this) we are required to mirror all of our 170 techniques on the opposite side. It's confusing at first, but develops both sides. Somehow in sparring I think I'll always prefer my strong side as lead though.

MJ :asian:

OP
C

cfr

Black Belt
Reaction score
I just took the time to re-read all of your responses. I didnt realize when this thread was active several months ago how widespread strong side forward really is... interesting! Especially to see that some Kenpo folks(for example) practice this way is very interesting as I thought it was just a JKD/ FMA/ Kung Fu type of deal. Ive been doing it for a while now and think I would have real problems going back to weak side forward as lately Ive come to truely appreciate strong side forward. The power Ive been able to generate lately from the front hook, round kick, and lead(this one still needs the most work still) is pretty cool. As such Ive been able to really like having it closest to my opponent.

1redcat

Interesting reading. Not to totally belabor an out thread, but what do you call strong side/weak side? I am right handed - is that my "strong side?" If so my style prefers weak side (for most people) forward (left side is a sacrifice). And what very, very little boxing I did, I also tended to favor weak side forward. It would feel odd to have my right side forward!

FearlessFreep

Senior Master
Reaction score
Yes, if y ou are right handed then 'strong side forward' would be your right hand and leg forward.

In class and competition I will intentionally alter which side I start with maybe not *every* time but pretty often. I will often start the first round with my strong side forward simply because most people expect the opposite so I do it to try to give them some uncertainty. I switch around where I start from to make it hard for them to have an 'opening gambit' based on ow they assume I will be setup.

From there on, it really depends. I have some techniques that are better from one side then the other, just naturally so I tend to favor some techniques from one side or the other. Not on lthe level of 'can I do it' but "what's my comfort level based on what I know of my speed and strength from this side versus what I've seen of my opponent and what openings he's giving me"

My instructors have insisted on training both sides equally.

I try to be 'legit' from either side so that my opponent cannot rest on the fact that in a given position I will only throw certain techniques, or only use that position as a feint or something.

Shu2jack

Purple Belt
Reaction score
In TKD, I like to switch depending on the situation at tournaments. (I prefer to keep my back to two of the three judges so it is harder for them to see points scored to my chest area.)

When doing drills, I practice leading with both sides, but prefer to have my strong side in back. I am not really sure why. Perhaps it is because where I train we always step back with our right leg, which is my strong side, and it became habit.

When sparring in class non-stop, and not worrying about "points", I prefer to have my strong side in front. This way my strong side can reach my opponent quicker and my weak side is able to deliver stronger strikes due to being placed in the rear.

OP
C

cfr

Black Belt
Reaction score
1redcat said:
Interesting reading. Not to totally belabor an out thread, but what do you call strong side/weak side? I am right handed - is that my "strong side?" If so my style prefers weak side (for most people) forward (left side is a sacrifice). And what very, very little boxing I did, I also tended to favor weak side forward. It would feel odd to have my right side forward!

For you, yes, right would be "strong side". It is very odd at first, but now that Ive done it for a while its really how Im most comfortable and will probably always keep it this way.

M

muffin_cup_of_death

Since my core art is JKD, I utilize the strong (right Side) lead. I feel comfortable using the lead hand to intercept my opponent as soon as he moves in, or attempts an attack. I also, am effective from either side, but in the right side forward, my heart is farther away, and my faster, most powerful weapons are closest to the opponent. My lead leg is also faster, and stronger, but it is useless to attempt any kicks above the waist from this position, for unless you are shuffling forward, or taking a nice big step towards the opponent, it has no power. Lead leg groin kicks, low side kicks, roundhouse, and shin kicks are great for the lead leg in this position. I actually started out in Okinawan Karate, and I was always taught to keep the power side back, but I dont do that much anymore, I just adapt, and react to the situation, whether that means, right side, left side forward, upside down, sitting down, or whatever.

Latest Discussions