training alone?

Paul-M

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Does anyone else find it hard to train alone?
With a friend to push me I can train as hard as anybody but on my own I get bored and unmotivated. Does anyone have a similar problem or any advice on how better to push myself while trianing alone?

Christina05

Green Belt
Reaction score
I used to have that same problem. Try using a little music. And If you have a giant mirror handy to watch that helps a little then your able to watch your self and you form helps a little just a thought. Good Luck

Jade Tigress

RAWR
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
With a friend to push me I can train as hard as anybody but on my own I get bored and unmotivated. Does anyone have a similar problem or any advice on how better to push myself while trianing alone?

Yes, I do have the same problem. I find it so much easier to train with a partner. There are times, when I'm doing something else, that I'll do a couple hand techiniques, kind of processing it for myself, practicing, but not "training" by any stretch of the word. I did try training once with music, but was still largely unmotivated. Even in class, if it comes down to training something one man, or two man, I prefer two man. I just seem to "get it" better.

Maybe you just need to get together with someone from class once or twice a week to train together.

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I actually find it easier to train alone. Usually my personal workouts are more intense than time in the classroom. But then again, I see classroom time as the time to learn new things and get corrections on older matarial. It may not be the best time to just drill to exhaustion. You should have your own motivation for that.

You need to be able to somehow motivate yourself to train alone. You need to be able to take your art with you, outside the classroom. This is a big indicator that you have learned something, more than just the ability to follow someone else, or rely on someone else for motivation.

exile

To him unconquered.
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I actually find it easier to train alone. Usually my personal workouts are more intense than time in the classroom. But then again, I see classroom time as the time to learn new things and get corrections on older matarial. It may not be the best time to just drill to exhaustion. You should have your own motivation for that.

You need to be able to somehow motivate yourself to train alone. You need to be able to take your art with you, outside the classroom. This is a big indicator that you have learned something, more than just the ability to follow someone else, or rely on someone else for motivation.

I have just the same take on solo training. It's when I can really work on fundamentals like balance and strength. Ideally, for things like SD applications, you want someone to train with so you can test out the realism of the techs you're picturing as apps from the forms; but a lot of core skills seem to demand training on one's own...

dancingalone

Grandmaster
Reaction score
It's definitely harder to keep motivated without others there to spur you on. I frequently work late hours so it's not always possible to make it to the dojo, but I have a well-equipped garage dojo, complete with mirrors, a heavy bag, 2 makiwara, weights, and a BOB. The key is to vary your routine to stay fresh. It's easy to get bored if your practice is the same, time after time. I actually make out my own lesson plans and then I follow them to the 'T'. It helps if I think of the lessons as homework for the next time I make it to the dojo. I don't want Sensei to think I'm slacking... he really keeps you working at basics if he thinks you can use the work. You don't get the fun stuff unless you merit it.

By the way, I keep my garage open as I work out, wearing a full do-gi and belted up. I always smile and wave at people passing by. Have picked up a few occasional workout partners that way and one of them is actually attending my dojo full time now along with his family.

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Paul I prefer to work out with someone I need that person to be pushing me, that is awful I know but since my medical release to get back to training everything is so much harder and I need that added confidence right now.

I use to love to workout by myself and always found I was able to get more done alone, but times have changed and I guess it is the tought have something happening and nobody is there for me to get help.

The plus side is my wife is now happier since we do more workouts together.

KempoGuy06

Grandmaster
Reaction score
i used to find it hard to train alone but im so motivated now that i dont mind plus, i can push myself if one area more than i would be pushed in class

B

Omar B

Senior Master
Reaction score
I love training by myself, I find that's when I make the biggest gains, when I sharpen my form and speed. Usually I wake up early, run to the park, make a few laps (usually about 2 miles) then I go over to where the children usually play so I can do all the pull ups, body weight excersizes and stretching using the equipment in there (swing sets, monkey bars, etc). Then after that I drill form and katas, doing every move slowly watching to make sure everything is done as I call it "Oyama-perfect."

It's great too because it's like the world largest private dojo. There's a stand of trees blocking a direct view of the playground from the street so I'm never bothered. People see me running up the hill and through the trees then running down the hill about an hour later.

Class for me is for learning new stuff, I get most of my training and drills done on my own.

SFC JeffJ

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I've been training a lot all on my own as of late. I'm getting ready to start Arnis soon and I've been practicing the double sinawali I learned in Kali many moons ago. I hope its the same and I'm remembering it correctly.

OP
Paul-M

Paul-M

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Thanks for the input you guys, glad to know I'm not the only one with the same problem, looks like I just have to suck it in and do it anyway.

SFC JeffJ

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Thanks for the input you guys, glad to know I'm not the only one with the same problem, looks like I just have to suck it in and do it anyway.
It can be hard to motivate yourself to train alone, but it's well worth the effort!

rabbit

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Try low volume training. Make everything count. Whatever you are doing lifting weights, cardio, or any other type of training doing everything with very high intensity.

Also work on nutrition and getting enough rest. Even though that is not training that has a vital part to getting good at sports, losing weight, or gaining mass.

Try going to the dojo and taking classes and supplement with low volume, high intensity weight training.

Omar B

Senior Master
Reaction score
The hardest part about training by yourself is starting. Set yourself a schedule and use your class as a guide. I run, then stretch, then work on strength, work on techniques then kata. I just do it by myself and at my own pace. Pick your spot (like how I use the park), set your alarm and do it like clockwork for a week then it becomes second nature.

zDom

Senior Master
Reaction score

That's one of the reasons I started martial arts in the first place: in general, I just don't seem to push myself alone as hard as I do in a group atmosphere or even with a partner.

(shrug) I guess some of us are just wired that way.

grydth

Senior Master
Reaction score
Most of my training now is alone, and sure ....there are days it is had to get started.

There are a number of advantages, though. Fewer distractions. Ability to work on what you want and need. You set the time and duration. You pick the venue and decide on music.

I have to respectfully disagree on mirrors, though. ( Years ago, Sensei set up mirrors in a class just as I was feeling pretty good about a couple of forms. Watching in the mirror was a hugely humbling experience......" I look THAT BAD?! THAT is what everyone else is seeing?!")

bookworm_cn317

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score

It's hard for me, too. It's easier with 1 or more people. I think it has something to do with the energy. Just training alone is kinda boring.

harlan

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Personally, I have the reverse problem: outside of the dojo I can't stand training around other people. I never realized just how difficult it is to find a place to be alone until I started a martial art. , or a even regular period at home without family demands on time.

And that's just empty hand. Kobudo practice is impossible outside of the dojo.

SenseiBear

Blue Belt
Reaction score

I have always had problems with this. And while now I can and do train my forms and some application work by myself outside of classes, I had been training for 15 years before I could. And I still only train on my own 1 day a week.

But since I was unable to train by myself - when I got to the point in my training that I felt I needed more time than I had available in classes, I put out an email to everyone I knew who might be interested and asked if anyone wanted to be my training partner. I had 8 people who tried it out, and 3 who kept at it - it became a weekly workout group that eventually evolved into the class I currently teach.

The hardest part about training by yourself is starting. Set yourself a schedule and use your class as a guide. ...set your alarm and do it like clockwork for a week then it becomes second nature.
I have to disagree. Some people just never find it easy. I have forced myself into regular solo training in the past - I once did it "like clockwork" for 9 months. It was never any easier, I never liked it... It never got to be a habit, let alone second nature. In a class I can train almost non-stop for 5 or 6 hours... but I gotta have someone else calling the shots.

Latest Discussions