training alone?

exile

To him unconquered.
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Some people are wired differently man...

Absolutely. For some people, there is nothing that sheer repetition can't turn into a habit, no matter how disagreeable. For other people, repetition just makes thing worse. I myself find that some things I can make automatic by constant deliberate repetition, while others (e.g., changing the cat litter) get more difficult to face each time. So that's both stories in one individual. Not only can't you generalize across people, you can't generalize within a single person, apparently... :idunno:

Brian S

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Well, since I broke the coffeetable with my training dummy training in the house is a no-no, understandably. Outside I get snickers and stares, some people even yell out old ma flick scenes. "I kill a you!! Wataaahhhhh!!!" dorks.

Training alone is not as easy as having people to train with. Doing kata outside in my "pajamas" is interesting as well.

Whatever keeps you motivated, whatever you have to do to fill the void.

SenseiBear

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Some people are wired differently man, I was just offering him a suggestion on what works for me. He did ask for advice after all.
Oh yeah - It's certainly worth trying. For a lot of people it does work - I wish it worked for me.

kaizasosei

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
yeah, working out alone is really great. you can concentrate on the inner and work at your own pace....yeah, and can avoid all those petty human complications...also., -lip starts quivering- waahaaaa!!-breaks down crying- yeah...whatever, im ok

well, you can always make yourself one of those dummies- lord knows they're probably the most agreeable sort of training partner...

j

Omar B

Senior Master
Reaction score
Just remember not to wear your Gi when working ouit in the park. Kata draws a couple weird looks as it is, last thing you need is a uniform so white it almost glows to draw more attention.

SageGhost83

Brown Belt
Reaction score
I love training alone, too. The hardest part is just getting started because there are so many distractions to take care of while outside of class to begin with. However, when I am actually able to train alone, it is the most rewarding experience for me as a martial artist. I have time to actually explore the art on my own and take it in my own direction. You know, like, take it out for spin when the instructor is not around. Kind of like when your dad first let you take the car out on your own and go wherever you wanted as long as you were back by a certain time...ok not quite, but you get the gist of what I am saying. One of my instructors told me that a martial art is like a member of the opposite sex - you don't really get to know it until you get it alone and spend one-on-one time with it. Of course, she was also aware that I had "feelings" for her and she was roughly my age, so maybe it was just her little way of trying to teach me specifically (I miss Togakura-ryu training so badly :D). Anywho, training alone is good and will allow you to truly bond with your art on a more personal level...Okay, I'll just quit while I am ahead :duh:.

newGuy12

Master of Arts
Reaction score
That's one of the reasons I started martial arts in the first place: in general, I just don't seem to push myself alone as hard as I do in a group atmosphere or even with a partner.

(shrug) I guess some of us are just wired that way.

I look up to people who can manage to practice alone well. As a child, I could do this. I would spend long periods of time striking a sandbag that I had, a punching bag, and benefited from it.

Now, I cannot stand to do this TKD alone, and even when I try, I do not sweat good like in the Dojang in class. I just simply cannot do it. I don't know why, but I fail.

Now, alone, I lift the weights -- not alone, but not in a class either. Or I can do stretching, no problem. I just simply cannot practice the techniques well without being in a group. I greatly prefer the company of other students in a class, the more the merrier, as well, for me. I like to hear a big yell, everyone together. That may be the "aerobics lover" in me, I don't care, I simply don't try to analyze this, I just accept it.

Omar B

Senior Master
Reaction score
For me I think I can practice alone because I've been playing guitar since I was a child. Learning any instrument you to do a lot of repetition, focus and independent study. I was already used to sitting in my room for hours on end practicing scales, modes, chords. I see karate as the same thing, I am trained into taking instruction (from music or karate) and do what's involved to improve on my own.

Hell, I graduated high school at 16 by doing independent studies. It's a program at schools here in NY where if you can teach yourself the material and pass the exams then you'll get the grade. I'm just the type who prefers do things on my own.

Latest Discussions