Traditional Blocks

Doc

Senior Master
Reaction score
would anyone say that the body mechanics taught in effective blocking is the most important part of blocking?
If this is true then perhaps the conversation could discuss the differnces in the body mechanics as taught in the traditional blocks vs non traditional...
respectfully,
Marlon

Body mechanics are the most important part of everything you do.

Reaction score
"After all, what you first put into your muscle memory, is what will come out first" .......Handsword
I cant agree with statement from personal experience I have found on occasion that its what I have be currently practising that seems to come out in confrontation.
So it seems to me that its "last in first out".
Respectfully
Richi

It's called "the recency factor".

Lets see if I can remember those differences from my memory since its been ages since I've needed to define them to anyone.

The above is a confusion between recency and muscle memory.

Usually people remember most from ONE session, the first thing, then the last thing, and forget the stuff in the middle.

Muscle memory is different than the recency factor.

When you do a drill 10,000 times so you are on automatic stimulus response, that is muscle memory.

So a child that learns how to ride a bicycle, and then stops riding one when he turns 16 can easily jump back on a bicycle when he is in his 40s.

He does remember "how", he just needs a month of so of practice to get back into shape fully.

So muscle memory is much better, faster and more skilled WHEN recency is added to the training mix.

Dr. John M. La Tourrette

Doc

Senior Master
Reaction score
In human anatomy, Synaptic Dynamics dictate a different perspective. I essentially agree with Dr. La Tourrette, but for different reasons. Synaptic Dynamics to not support "first in, last out," or "last in first out" responses. These are intellectual or or lay term "Mind Memory" perspectives.

Physical responses are a product of physical and mental familiarity. Synaptic Pathways, (also in lay terms called "muscle memory") are a product of the dynamics of creation over specific extended repetition. This, in addition to a "hardening process" of "startle reflex" responses subjected to adrenal stimulation, determine the availability and likelihood of response to external stimuli.

Or;

"The body will ALWAYS execute what it knows best, not what you intellectually know best, most recent, or least recent." - Dr. Ron Chapél

(Thanx Doc L. for the call)

Reaction score
In human anatomy, Synaptic Dynamics dictate a different perspective. I essentially agree with Dr. La Tourrette, but for different reasons. Synaptic Dynamics to not support "first in, last out," or "last in first out" responses. These are intellectual or or lay term "Mind Memory" perspectives.

Physical responses are a product of physical and mental familiarity. Synaptic Pathways, (also in lay terms called "muscle memory") are a product of the dynamics of creation over specific extended repetition. This, in addition to a "hardening process" of "startle reflex" responses subjected to adrenal stimulation, determine the availability and likelihood of response to external stimuli.

Or;

"The body will ALWAYS execute what it knows best, not what you intellectually know best, most recent, or least recent." - Dr. Ron Chapél

(Thanx Doc L. for the call)

You are welcome Doc R.

And the above sounds like a neurological definition of NLP "anchoring" or psychology's Pavlovian conditioning.

And there is a vast difference between the two, just as there are many similarities.

In kenpo we as trainers and as martial artists hopefully do both.

Nice.

Where's my damn psychology/medical dictionary when I need it?

Dr. John M. La Tourrette
Ps. I think I'll go over something else that is important and being left out, but on another different post.

Latest Discussions