kenpo blocking and phases

satans.barber

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Originally posted by Doc

Ed Parker said the best way to deal with a Lookey Loo is to make him pay for the priveledge.

<cynical>

Wow, go go the seeds of capitalism!

I wonder what Ed would have made of the Internet, all this knowledge for free... :)

So many questions, so little profit!

</cynical>

Ian.

OP
C

cfr

Black Belt
Reaction score
Originally posted by Doc

Clearly you have a level of patience as well. Ed parker used to call people of this type "Lookie Loos." They have a thousand questions, and for every answer you give him he has a "but," another question, and an uneducated opinion.

Im curious as to why you would call me a Lookie Loo. Im also curious as to why you would tell me to go visit schools. If you read my original post, you would see Ive been to a Kenpo school. (of course it was very limited) I left due to an injury. Precisely what uneducated opinion have I thrown out there. I really dont recall giving one. I thuoght I had asked too many questions. But now Ive also given out opinions as well. Please point this out to me.

B

brianhunter

Originally posted by cfr

Im curious as to why you would call me a Lookie Loo. Im also curious as to why you would tell me to go visit schools. If you read my original post, you would see Ive been to a Kenpo school. (of course it was very limited) I left due to an injury. Precisely what uneducated opinion have I thrown out there. I really dont recall giving one. I thuoght I had asked too many questions. But now Ive also given out opinions as well. Please point this out to me.

it's a trick! Get an axe!

Ash-
Army of Darkness

Doc

Senior Master
Reaction score
Ed Parker was the most generous man I knew. he would go anywhere anytime to talk "kenpo" with people. I remember going to different high schools that had clubs with 5 or 6 guys and he would stay for hours talking and answering questions, but he wanted the conversation to be productive. He was a professional, and when you came to him and into his business and asked advice he expected you to listen. A lookey loo to him was a guy who spent a month here and there trying to make up his mind about something he doesn't understand. It's a paradox. Sometimes you just gotta jump in and stay. Sometimes you get lucky, sometimes not. Comparing arts is not telling you anything but about the art. Ultimately it's the instructor you have to bond with. A lousy instructor in a good art gets you nothing. The only way you're going to find your instructor is to go look.

If you went into an auto mechanics shop and bambarded him with question after question and no matter what he said you just re-phrase the question, sooner or later the guy is going to say, "You want your car fixed or not?"

Some of the guys here have been really nice to you and taken their time to really give some good detailed advice. Apparently you have done this at other sites too with other arts but you simply ask the same questions over again with a different spin. In my mind there are some people you just can't satisfy no matter how you try in this medium. I suggest you go back to getting your information from personal contact where you can express yourself better and an instructor can "demonstrate" his answers to your satisfaction.

These forums have a limiteed capability to convey information to the novice and experienced alike. Good luck in your "quest?" And please, I have no desire for a reply.

kenpo3631

Black Belt
Reaction score
in the army the self defence that we learned as infantry men was more like basic grappling and we did not go into alot of stance work or building power from stances.

I totally agree...

At basic training they teach you a "hard stylist" approach to self defense. "I'd rather have my arm broken than my head" was a quote of one of my drill sergeants while demonstrating a "rising block"....:rofl:

I was affectionately known as Hong Kong Fooey during the H2H portion of basic training. However I later was pulled aside by one of my drills and told to stop "doing what I was doing".

The problem that the H2H course in basic training poses is that it, "teaches you just enough to get killed". The concepts conveyed in the course of instuction are down right dangerous. Target and weapon matches that could seriously get you hurt while trying to save your life.

All in all I think it stems from the Army mentality of what we all have heard from our parents at one time or another "Because I said so." I must agree with Dennis, "Wake up America!":asian:

B

brianhunter

Originally posted by Goldendragon7

go to: www.earlpitts.com
:rofl:

go to audio archives.......:D

You know what makes me sick? You know what makes me so angry I just wanna...........

Earl Pitts is awsome, he has economy of common sense down to an art ;)

Latest Discussions