tornado kick

sgraves

Green Belt
Reaction score
did anybody else have trouble with their tornado kick ?

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
What kind of trouble are you talking about? It' just a "jumping inside crescent kick". It may not have much combat value, but it's good exercise.

OP
sgraves

sgraves

Green Belt
Reaction score
What kind of trouble are you talking about? It' just a "jumping inside crescent kick". It may not have much combat value, but it's good exercise.
im talking about the round house tornado kick

OP
sgraves

sgraves

Green Belt
Reaction score
Nope. We don't use it. I'd love to learn it, for the challenge, but I'm not that flexible right now.
its fun,I love it I call my the f5 tornado lol.
what is your style ?

kuniggety

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I always found tornado kicks (round-house) variant more natural than a hurricane (inside crescent). It's all about the into tail foot placement as you step into it. I never used either in sparring but learned them for the forms in Bak Sil Lum.

MAfreak

Purple Belt
Reaction score
with crescent kick, like they do in wushu, to get it higher for the show, its easier.
with round kick, to make it stronger due to more hip movement, like they do in taekwondo, one has to be much more flexible.
interestingly my right foot is the better kicking foot, but turning right is also my better turning movement, so in this specific case, i did it mostly with my left foot. sometimes, the right & left "handedness" is confusing.

Midnight-shadow

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
It would probably help to see a video of you performing the kick, that way we can see exactly what you are doing and help you correct it.

Balrog

Master of Arts
Reaction score
My arthritic nearly 70 year bod doesn't like to do either the butterfly or the tornado kicks. But I will occasionally do one when I'm trying to teach the kick to students. The kicks really break down to great timing, balance and focus. Otherwise, you fall flat on your butt trying them.

WaterGal

Master of Arts
Reaction score
It looks more like a tornado must Thai kick.

I'm not sure what a Muay Thai tornado kick looks like.

I can give you some general tips for training a 360/tornado roundhouse kick, but they may or may not help you.

First, I'd say, basically, practice it slowly. Step, turn, knee up, jump roundhouse. Make sure your footwork is right. Practice on a heavy bag or with some other kind of target, so you can get a sense of distancing. Do that a lot, and then speed it up and then practice it a lot more.

Gnarlie

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Typical problems include :

Not practicing the kick on the ground first (you need to feel the axis and balance, and work out the stepping)

Raising the non-kicking foot too soon (should pass the standing leg close and only raise when facing 12 o'clock)

Hopping during the turn and losing jump height.

Mistiming the jump - it has to match the raising of the non-kicking knee to maximise upward momentum

Not utilising the arms to generate speed, height and momentum, or thrashing the arms around when they should be in a tight guard.

Not getting the head around to spot the target quickly enough.

Leaning back. This kick should keep the upper body vertical.

Not getting the hip turned over correctly. Switch the hips and throw the kick, rather than trying to rush getting the foot up to target.

Not bending the kicking leg. The kick needs to be snapped in there.

Turning flat footed. Way to damage a knee. Work only on the ball of the foot during takeoff and landing.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Latest Discussions