tornado kicks

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Yes my son does them and we video taped it and I'm sending it to Mr Hubbard so he can download it for everyone to see.
Terry

mantis

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
yes
im practicing that day and night
but im doing it on grass, not on carpet
the worst is carpet, makes your knees hurt when you land.
good luck with it

Gemini

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Ahhh. My favorite kick! :)

For some reason, I've always been as naturally good at this as I am naturally bad at a spin kick. :rolleyes:

mantis

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Laborn said:
I know how to do one, but i spend most of my time practicing a 360, for head shots:)
isnt tornado 360 anyway?

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Yes, it is common in long arm Chinese styles, and Capoeira has a variant that ends with a roundhouse kick instead of a crescent kick. Just rotate your hips a bit further for the second kick, and it lines up just right for a roundhouse.

Laborn

Blue Belt
Reaction score
mantis said:
isnt tornado 360 anyway?

Lol no. Tornado is creasent. 360 is roundhouse, and from what i know 360 goes one way, around the back, tornado goes around the front.

TigerWoman

Senior Master
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
A 360 can be anything. Its just one full turn. A 360 sidekick, a 360 round kick, a 360 axe kick, a 360 crescent. We learned also that a 360 round kick is called a tornado when you jump it. Turn toward you back, not forwards-backwards, jump the back foot and the front leg kicks a roundhouse on the instep. Its good to have good knees for this. When I was a blue belt, I was exhausted from doing these up and down the floor after having doing hundreds of kicks for a workout. My landing knee went one way and me the other. It went out of joint and I shoved it back in, but there was meniscus/cartilage damage that finally healed after six years of glucosamine. Can't say it is right though since I did more damage to it. TW

mantis

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
TigerWoman said:
A 360 can be anything. Its just one full turn. A 360 sidekick, a 360 round kick, a 360 axe kick, a 360 crescent. We learned also that a 360 round kick is called a tornado when you jump it. Turn toward you back, not forwards-backwards, jump the back foot and the front leg kicks a roundhouse on the instep. Its good to have good knees for this. When I was a blue belt, I was exhausted from doing these up and down the floor after having doing hundreds of kicks for a workout. My landing knee went one way and me the other. It went out of joint and I shoved it back in, but there was meniscus/cartilage damage that finally healed after six years of glucosamine. Can't say it is right though since I did more damage to it. TW
thank you. that was what i was talking about.

karatekid1975

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Yep I do them, and the 360. I also have to becareful with my knee. I blew out my knee (unrelated technique) a few years ago. But it hurts when I do too many of these. But they are fun :) I do them mostly for show, not during sparring.

Laborn

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Oh man get use to using them in combat, i've used the 360 round house so many times in sparring. Partly cause im fast, and i use alot of spinning kicks, my opponent doesn't know if im doing a 360 or one of the other numerous kicks i use in that spin.

FearlessFreep

Senior Master
Reaction score
Two or maybe three places I've been have had the same meaning for 'tornado kick' as TW described. It's basiclly a spinning roudhouse of the front leg except the 'rear leg' is kept up and you pivot around and then hop up on the kicking foot. (A friend of mine from a different school called it a hurricane kick') The hardest parts to learn seem to be a) keep your balance forward and up (easy to lean over on the spin) and b) keep motioin smooth and not do that little 'hop-hitch' on your pivot/kick foot as you come around

They can be intimidating to the inexperienced when you start spinning and they don't know what you're doing spinning around. To the more experienced opponent though, you pretty much have to use them in combination to upset timing and distance. Such as using roundhouse then tornado or torndao then quick back kick. Well...I guess that applies to a lot of techniques, though : )

Miles

Senior Master
Reaction score
Sometimes you see the term "narabon" for this kick. It is pretty intimidating to learn at first, but if you break it down, it is not too hard. It is a great workout on a heavy bag. We have a drill where we do it with right, then immediately with left (with a switch step and whojin/back step between kicks).

I've seen several score in competition and the person getting scored upon usually has a look of "where'd that come from"?

Miles

TigerWoman

Senior Master
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Today we did a variation of this tornado with an extra spin of the back foot 360+180 jumping, with the front leg sidekicking at the end. Also not good for knees. TW

AceHBK

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
it is my favorite kick and we had a special 4 Dan visit my school and as a orange belt he taught me the kick and I fell in love with the kick ever since.

Do people really use it in tournaments a lot though?
Seems like you gotta do it juuuust right for it to work.

cali_tkdbruin

Master of Arts
Reaction score
karatekid1975 said:
Yep I do them, and the 360. I also have to becareful with my knee. I blew out my knee (unrelated technique) a few years ago. But it hurts when I do too many of these. But they are fun :) I do them mostly for show, not during sparring.
Yup, I agree, we practice them all the time. I'm pretty good going to the right, but going left I still kinda suck, need more work.

But to complete this technique takes time and it's showy for sure, so yeah I wouldn't want to use it in any sparring. By the time you come down and complete your 360 your opponent is there waiting to blast you... :uhohh:

Laborn

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Not if you set him up. I always use at least 1 360 in a round. Wait til they are going for a roundhouse, then 360 to their head or face. Let them attack you, wait til their last attack then use it. Or i like to use it the minute the ref guy says shijak.

Sometimes i get nailed when i do it...but if i hit them i do more damage..so hah.

Laborm

Gemini

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
cali_tkdbruin said:
But to complete this technique takes time and it's showy for sure, so yeah I wouldn't want to use it in any sparring. By the time you come down and complete your 360 your opponent is there waiting to blast you... :uhohh:
Ya got that right. From a competition point of view, this kick is very slow to develop and easy to see coming. I tried it for awhile and paid dearly for the effort, and this is one of my best kicks. I've seen a few people pull it off with limited success, but I'm not one of them. I'll never tell you not to try it. Some things are best learned the old fashioned way.

Latest Discussions