deadly tornado kick

Marginal

Senior Master
Reaction score
Huh? The MMA back kick generates twice as much force? It's the same technique!

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Huh? The MMA back kick generates twice as much force? It's the same technique!

MMA doesn't have techniques as such, there's no such animal. It will be techniques from specific styles. I know at least three different variations on a back kick depending on style.

Marginal

Senior Master
Reaction score
MMA doesn't have techniques as such, there's no such animal. It will be techniques from specific styles. I know at least three different variations on a back kick depending on style.
Just going by the links that Dao provided, the two kicks were the same. The only difference I can see is that one was described as having twice the force.

http://www.fighttube.tv/watch/3a2b5af89203c2b78c67/Human-Weapon---TaeKwonDo---Spinning-Back-Kick

http://www.fighttube.tv/watch/ec1fa9e0c259de10bf87/Human-Weapon---MMA---Spinning-Back-Kick

Seems kinda strange to me. Same speed, same motion, but one's weaker? Did they have Bill test one and the other dude test the other?

Last edited:

Twin Fist

Grandmaster
Reaction score
IF it lands to the head, it is gonna hurt.

getting it to land on the head is a much deeper subject tho

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just going by the links that Dao provided, the two kicks were the same. The only difference I can see is that one was described as having twice the force.

http://www.fighttube.tv/watch/3a2b5af89203c2b78c67/Human-Weapon---TaeKwonDo---Spinning-Back-Kick

http://www.fighttube.tv/watch/ec1fa9e0c259de10bf87/Human-Weapon---MMA---Spinning-Back-Kick

Seems kinda strange to me. Same speed, same motion, but one's weaker? Did they have Bill test one and the other dude test the other?

Perhaps someone doesn't like MMA? I have to say I can't remember seeing anyone do that kick in an MMA fight, rarely seen it in a karate fight either. I don't know about TKD.
For an MMA fighter to do that they will have almost for sure come from a karate or TKD background so that makes it not an MMA kick doesn't it?
As you say though the kicks are the same, I can't see a difference, perhaps Dao can explain?

Marginal

Senior Master
Reaction score
It's just a strange inconsistency from that Human Weapon show as far as I can tell.Seems like they didn't use the same sized guy for each of their tests, which makes any data they present useless if so. (Kinda apparent anyway since two people that aren't the same size are not likely to generate the same amount of force I suppose.)

On the bright side, they seem to like the "MMA kick" about 2X more tho. :mst:

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Perhaps someone doesn't like MMA? I have to say I can't remember seeing anyone do that kick in an MMA fight, rarely seen it in a karate fight either. I don't know about TKD.
For an MMA fighter to do that they will have almost for sure come from a karate or TKD background so that makes it not an MMA kick doesn't it?
As you say though the kicks are the same, I can't see a difference, perhaps Dao can explain?

The spinning back kick is used in TKD alot as a defense type movement instead of an offensive one in most cases. I tend to use it all the time, mainly because it is a kick I can still do without that much trouble on the knees.

Daniel Sullivan

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
It's just a strange inconsistency from that Human Weapon show as far as I can tell.Seems like they didn't use the same sized guy for each of their tests, which makes any data they present useless if so. (Kinda apparent anyway since two people that aren't the same size are not likely to generate the same amount of force I suppose.)

On the bright side, they seem to like the "MMA kick" about 2X more tho. :mst:
I enjoyed watching the Human Weapon, but there were quite a few times that I had to take it with grain of salt, partly for the reasons that you just mentioned, and partly because I often felt that there was a predetermined opinion and that the data was collected in such a way as to support what they were already planning to say. That may not have been the case, but it was the impression that I had.

Even so, I did enjoy the program.:)

Daniel

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's annoying though when they start calling things MMA. The whole point of Mixed Martial Arts is that it's just that.... the use of different arts. It's poor teaching when instructors start teaching MMA kicks and MMA punches etc.

Daniel Sullivan

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
It's annoying though when they start calling things MMA. The whole point of Mixed Martial Arts is that it's just that.... the use of different arts. It's poor teaching when instructors start teaching MMA kicks and MMA punches etc.
When people say things like that, I generally assume that they either don't know anything about martial arts, but watched a UFC match, or they practice only one art and are entirely ignorant about the rest of the arts that are often seen in MMA. To them, anything that they aren't familiar with is, "an MMA move."

They're the same people to whom ten years ago, any techniques that weren't western boxing or wrestling in origin were called, "Karate moves." And twenty years before that, it was, "Kung fu moves." It never even occurred to them that both of those terms are fairly general terms that encompass a good number of individual arts.

Daniel

punisher73

Senior Master
Reaction score

Chuck Liddell teaching the back spinning kick (although his roots are Kenpo)

UFC KO w/ a spinning back kick (David Louaseu sp?)

I have seen a couple others in the UFC, but they are not usually seen.

Last edited by a moderator:

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Chuck Liddell teaching the back spinning kick (although his roots are Kenpo)

UFC KO w/ a spinning back kick (David Louaseu sp?)

I have seen a couple others in the UFC, but they are not usually seen.

Cheers for that, both very cool! the Chuck one is how I was taught in karate to do it. It's a useful kick to have even if not used often.

Last edited by a moderator: