Too fast too soon..........

Manny

Senior Master
Reaction score
On sunday 17 my dojnag has kup examination, this is the second of the year, the first was on feb.17.

I have three students that have to do examination, one yellow belt that has no show on dojang for some time, and two green belts. The yellow belt has not memorize yet his poomsae and truth to be told he needs alot of work to improve a little and go for the next kup, one of the green belts has memorice his taeguks and we are working on them, there is no problem with this guy, he come dojang to train and always do his best. The third green belt is an ex jido kwan who stops training in mid 80's he reached blue belt status and stop doing TKD my sambinim allow him to wear the green belt and want him to test for blue belt, this guy has nice moves and tecnike but I does not remeber the poomsae and he's strugling with taeguk 1,2, and 3.

I feel is too soon for these green belts to go for the blue belt, they need more time to mature his grades, I am teaching right now the taeguk 3, we need more time to work on the taeguks we need to polish them, but now a new examination coming?

I told my students to ask sambonim just test for blue tag (advanced green) and not for the blue belt cause: a) we need more work on the taeguks and techs and I we don't have the time to prepare taeguk 4. I don't like to rush things, I like to get a solid basis on techs and taeguks before advance to next level.

Don't know if sambonim will get angry at me because I don't want the students to go for the next belt, he cold say to me teach the taeguk 4 and to make the students memorize it that we have the time to do it but frankly I would rather to keep practicing and practicing till the studentes get ready.

My sambonim is the owner and head of the dojang and it's true the more students to do examination the large is the icome hosever I don't like to rush and have a mediocre test.

Manny

andyjeffries

Senior Master
Reaction score
Does your sabumnim agree they are your students? Or does he see them as his with you overseeing?

The reason is, that if it's the former you're in a stronger position to politely say "no thanks, they aren't ready...next time".

Regardless of timescale (and I agree 7-8 weeks is too short), if they aren't ready then they shouldn't test (and it shouldn't be a matter of hurrying to get them ready).

Of course, this is more difficult if he's seen them training as you then saying they aren't ready (when he's seen them and says they are) is more insulting as you're saying he doesn't know what he's talking about.

I'm surprised they're also being asked to effectively do a Gup-jump rank in 7-8 weeks. Going to blue tag isn't a half grade, it's a full promotion in gup rank. That means your students (based on that rank) would be 1st Dan in about 10 months from start?

OP
Manny

Manny

Senior Master
Reaction score
Does your sabumnim agree they are your students? Or does he see them as his with you overseeing?

The reason is, that if it's the former you're in a stronger position to politely say "no thanks, they aren't ready...next time".

Regardless of timescale (and I agree 7-8 weeks is too short), if they aren't ready then they shouldn't test (and it shouldn't be a matter of hurrying to get them ready).

Of course, this is more difficult if he's seen them training as you then saying they aren't ready (when he's seen them and says they are) is more insulting as you're saying he doesn't know what he's talking about.

I'm surprised they're also being asked to effectively do a Gup-jump rank in 7-8 weeks. Going to blue tag isn't a half grade, it's a full promotion in gup rank. That means your students (based on that rank) would be 1st Dan in about 10 months from start?

My sambonim said they are my students but he could once in a while teach them and I have no problem with that, sambonim is the one who test them (not me), I am the instructor in charge of the guys on tuesday and thursday nights.

I don't wana say my dojang is a belt factory, but I would like my studentes to be the best on the dojang, that's why I like to practice+practice+practice and like to correct and polish the techs of my students, I don't want poor performance, yes they won't be Chuck Norris but I want them to stand above of the average student inside my dojang.

The seniors class as you may know it's not so cardio or sporty one, it's a class designed to grown up men who wants to do exercise, relax and learn how to defend themselves if need it.

Manny

Markku P

Blue Belt
Reaction score
On sunday 17 my dojnag has kup examination, this is the second of the year, the first was on feb.17.

Perhaps too soon of course, I don't know how much they have trained, but I have also promoted some students too fast and later paid price for it.:D

/Markku

puunui

Senior Master
Reaction score
My sambonim said they are my students but he could once in a while teach them and I have no problem with that, sambonim is the one who test them (not me), I am the instructor in charge of the guys on tuesday and thursday nights.

That's why I think it is important to at some point open your own school. Every assistant instructor has opinions on what should or shouldn't be changed with regard to curriculum, school policy, or whatever. You get to test all those theories out when you have your own students, just like you get to test out all those child raising theories you had when you were a kid in your parents' home, when you have your own family. Until then, it is best to do it the way the head instructor wishes it be done.

Markku P

Blue Belt
Reaction score
That's why I think it is important to at some point open your own school. Every assistant instructor has opinions on what should or shouldn't be changed with regard to curriculum, school policy, or whatever. You get to test all those theories out when you have your own students, just like you get to test out all those child raising theories you had when you were a kid in your parents' home, when you have your own family. Until then, it is best to do it the way the head instructor wishes it be done.

I agree..when you are head instructor then you might see some things differently.

/Markku