TKD & low back problems

zDom

Senior Master
Reaction score
I do between 200-400 reps of ab work 3-6 days a week & still struggle with back problems. There was even a time when I did 500 reps a day & ran 5 miles 6 days a week & still had problems. I don't mean to gripe, a lot of folks have it worse than I do. Heck, I can still hold my own. But, it is really annoying. I guess I'll need to start CaneMasters soon.:ultracool

Thanks for your support, folk!

Perhaps the running was offsetting benefits gained from the abdominial workout.

But then there could be something else going on...

Gotkenpo

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Thanks Mel! I try to keep strong core muscles, but it's still an issue. My chiropractor thinks it may in part be due to having cerebral palsy on one side of my body. The imbalance may be putting a strain on the other side.

In referrence to getting hurt doing other things, that does sem to be case. My students come in banged up from so many more things than TKD.
Try Tahitian Noni. It works for me!!!! I have had 2 knee surgeries and an ankle reconstruction and have had lower back injuries from too many combat jumps. The Antioxidants are really helping my body out. I'd recomend it to anyone.
**Text removed - Advertising and inviting people to contact you so you may sell products to them is against MartialTalk rules.**

Edmund BlackAdder

<B>Rabid Wolverine</B>
Reaction score
I stand between the Dorkness and the Not Bright

Namu

White Belt
Reaction score
I've had low back problems for years, and to my knowledge it's not related to TKD. At least I hope it's not!

Being morbidly obese has a lot to do with it for me. Practicing yoga and pilates can strengthen and stretch just about everything you have. Gaiam has a yoga DVD specifically for lower back.

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Throughout my TKD career, I've heard stories & read articles about the fact we TKD folks are prone to low back pain due to all the kicking. In the past few years, I've started to have trouble with my low back. Has anyone else found this to be true for themselves?
It makes sense given the constant hip adjustments.
Sean

K31

Blue Belt
Reaction score
While poor ab conditioning is the cause of many back problems, I read many years ago in a kinesology text that traditional straight leg situps are not good for the back and work the hip flexors more than the abs. I said this to my instructor the first day when he asked me to do situps as part of his evaluation of my fitness. He agreed and said he meant crunches. Do crunches instead of situps.