K.O. Roundhouse Kick! video

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I'd call it either a reverse hook kick or a reverse turning kick... either way, it was a nice kick and it'll teach his opponent to keep his hands up (I hope)!

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Yea in Olympic sparring it is called a backswing and that was perfect.

Last Fearner

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I dunno if this has been shown here before or not... but goes to show what a well aimed round-house kick can do... knock your opponent out of the tournament!

Yes, I do recall seeing that video here on MT before.

Interesting choice of terminology because, while there are many textbooks and standardized terms, many people over the years have adopted their own choice of names for techniques. I remember the first time I heard someone call this kick a "reverse roundhouse." I thought it was weird because most everyone I knew in Taekwondo called a forward turning kick the "Roundhouse," and this kick a back spin hook kick (or variations of spinning kick, turning kick, back turn kick, etc.).

In Korean terms, "Dolyo-Chagi" means "turning kick," which is what has been nicknamed the "roundhouse kick." The spinning kicks where you turn backwards (like the one in this video) are called "Momtong-Dolyo Dolyo-Chagi," which means "body-turning turning-kick" Since the Roundhouse goes forward, some have called this backwards kick a "Reverse Turning Roundhouse." Anyhow, a rose by any other name.... or a spin-hook kick by any other name will still knock you out.

It could help to put a guard up on the right side, but this issue is more of one concerning distance and body position (a similar topic in another thread about bouncing and guards in Olympic Sparring). This kick could have easily been turned into a spin side kick to the abdomen and then a guard by the head would not have helped. If you watch the video again, in the beginning, the attacking opponent (who has his back to the camera) is not quite close enough to make this attack. In the first few seconds of the video, he moves his front foot sharply to the left (a fake move), then brings it back with a slight adjustment of his back foot (closing the distance on his opponent).

Notice that both fighters are bouncing, but the one who eventually gets hit is just bouncing up and down in place with no awareness of distance. Plus, he is standing straight up and down with no leaning back to protect his head with greater distance. Now watch the attacking opponent gradually move his front foot forward, and his back foot up closer with each bounce (it is barely noticeable, and the opponent apparently didn't notice it either). As a referee, I see this kind of thing happening all the time, and as a fighter, I use it myself.

When the attacker has bounced and adjusted his distance with these sneaky little increments, and he finally determines that he is within range, he instinctively launches this attack. He puts so much effort into reaching the head, that his supporting foot leaves the ground, and he falls with the opponent. If it had not been a knockout (or a knock-down), it might not have scored because of this failure to remain standing.

This is one of those prime examples where all that tournament "stuff" would never work for real in the street! :rolleyes:

Could you imagine..... this is not even a full power kick, and it is going through a protective headgear, yet it still knocks the guy out cold with one technique! Don't imagine for a moment that an opponent in the street won't stand with his guards down, or lower than chin level, because they do it all the time. Even if their guards are up, you can extend the kick to go around the guard and hit them in the back of the head, or throw the kick hard enough to drive your foot and their guard into their head, or just change it to a mid-section spin side kick. In real life, if that were a hard heel of a foot, or even harder heel of a street shoe hitting an unprotected head at full power.... lights out!

Yeah, take my word for it..... this stuff works - - tournament or street!

CM D.J. Eisenhart

Dave Leverich

Black Belt
Reaction score
Excellent diagnosis CM E!
I'm curious as to the energy on a reverse/spinning hook kick such as that. It's one I use regularly for speed breaks so I have no question that the velocity is there.

(Ps. on a side note, do we have a section on breaking/kyeokpa? While a small segment of the population, I find it a part of traditional training that fascinates me to this day)

Decker

Green Belt
Reaction score
A gold medal match in the 2004 Athens Olympics ended similarly too.

Not a total knockout, but still.

Last edited by a moderator:

jdinca

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Whoa!!!! Nice sound on impact, too.

To me, that kick is called a spinning heel hook.

tkd_Jaz

Orange Belt
Reaction score
In our gym we call it a Backspin but I didn't know if that was the official term or if there actually is one. That's why I called it a spinning heel kick...

Last Fearner

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Excellent diagnosis CM E!
I'm curious as to the energy on a reverse/spinning hook kick such as that. It's one I use regularly for speed breaks so I have no question that the velocity is there.

(Ps. on a side note, do we have a section on breaking/kyeokpa? While a small segment of the population, I find it a part of traditional training that fascinates me to this day)

Thanks Dave. The energy, or subsequent power of this kick can be devastating (as I'm sure you know), but is based mostly on the rapid acceleration, the inertia of the whipping circular motion, and the drawing pull of the muscles for the hook portion of the kick. It is not supported to re-enforce the reactionary force like a linear side kick is, but there is enough power to destroy a target.

(on your "PS.," do you mean a separate forum dedicated to the topic of breaking? Not that I am aware of, but there have been many individual threads on the subject.)

Also, I wanted to correct the spelling of the term "Dolyo" for turning in my earlier post. It should be "Dolryeo" ( &#46028;&#47140; ) When I said about the "Momtong-Dolyo Dolyo-Chagi," that is actually the "tornado roundhouse kick" where you turn all the way around backward (360) and kick with your original front leg using a roundhouse (or "turning kick"). However, it should be spelled "Momtong-Dolryeo Dolryeo-Chagi."

The term for any spinning or "backward turning" kick is just "Momtong Dolryeo Chagi" which means "Body Turning Kick," or "Dwi Dolryeo Chagi" which means "Back Turning Kick" or turning backwards and kicking.

I have also heard the terms "spinning heel kick" and "spinning heel hook." Some people prefer to strike with the heel in this kick, while others use the ball. I use either depending on the purpose, target, and damage I want to inflict. For the more powerful strike, I use the back 1/4 portion of the heel. ~ Ooops! Am I teaching too much information here? All you terrorists and bad guys, don't pay any attention to what I just said!

CM D.J. Eisenhart

searcher

Senior Master
Reaction score
Def. a spinning/reverse heel/hook kick. That is a reason why I am not so happy with Olympic sparring, NO defense. JMHO.

jdinca

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
For the more powerful strike, I use the back 1/4 portion of the heel.

Are you still striking with the bottom of the foot when you use the heel? Our version uses the back of the heel which has a "hooking" affect on the target, hence the name.

Last Fearner

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Are you still striking with the bottom of the foot when you use the heel? Our version uses the back of the heel which has a "hooking" affect on the target, hence the name.

The foot can be positioned at the ankle with the entire foot retracted (like when you stand on your feet and pull the toes and balls of the feet off the floor). You can also position the foot with the toes retracted, but the foot is extended (like when stand on the balls of your feet). If you are striking with the back of the heel in this foot position (close to the achilles tendon), I can see where the curve of the heel could "catch" the target a bit and hook it. I'm not sure it that is what you are referring to.

I hold the foot in this position, but strike with the bottom portion of the heel near the back edge. The full bottom of the heel is round like a "full moon" shape. The back 1/4 of the heel is like a 1/4 moon crescent shape. It is a blend of bottom and back of the heel (right on the corner, but not up to the curve of the ankle). Either way works well, but I have always considered the term "hook" to refer to the path that the kick travels. It starts on a straight line (like a side kick), then after the knee locks, it bends backwards and draws in (like a fish hook).

A similar kick is what I call the back spin heel kick, where you keep the leg extended throughout the circular path of the kick and don't bend the knee prior to impact. In my early days of training, this was also called a "wheel kick," "spinning wheel kick," or a "back spin wheel kick." The impact is basically the same as the hook kick, just that there is no hook of the knee. The kick in this video could have been more like this (hard to tell).

That is a reason why I am not so happy with Olympic sparring, NO defense. JMHO.

I don't believe it has anything to do specifically with "Olympic" sparring. Any competitor in Olympic Taekwondo can choose to put their guards in any position they want. There are no rules that require them to be down, or anywhere else. Fighters at the top level of competition have simply found that this works best, when you know how to do it right. This guy obviously did not know how to do it right - - the other guy did. I mean, you don't see a standard case where the "winner" always had his guards up, and the "loser" always had his guards down, thus you could conclude that guard down is the reason he lost.

Searcher, I don't mean to attack what you are saying, because I understand your point and believe that wise use of guards is essential in tournament or street. However, to classify "Olympic sparring" as being one way is not accurate, and to say there is "NO defense" implies that having guards up is the only defense. Many Olympic fighters (who are very good and win the gold), prefer to use distance, body adjustments, and timing of attacks and counters rather than to try and flail their arms around to intercept every technique thrown at them.

There is defense, its just a different method of avoiding getting hit. This guy just hasn't learned it yet! :)

CM D.J. Eisenhart

TKDmel

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I compete extensively in olympic TKD, and use my guard, but when I don't, the best defense is "no be there!"

jdinca

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I can see where the curve of the heel could "catch" the target a bit and hook it. I'm not sure it that is what you are referring to.

I hold the foot in this position, but strike with the bottom portion of the heel near the back edge. The full bottom of the heel is round like a "full moon" shape. The back 1/4 of the heel is like a 1/4 moon crescent shape. It is a blend of bottom and back of the heel (right on the corner, but not up to the curve of the ankle). Either way works well, but I have always considered the term "hook" to refer to the path that the kick travels. It starts on a straight line (like a side kick), then after the knee locks, it bends backwards and draws in (like a fish hook).

I mispoke a little bit. It's the combination of striking with the back of the heel and then bending the knee as you strike through the target that gives the kick it's name. The combination of the two has the affect of drawing the target to the side, forward and down.

searcher

Senior Master
Reaction score
I understand that it is up to the individual as to whether or not they have up their guard, but I rarely see any Olympic style TKD competitors with their guard up. I was/am not intending to offend, but rather making a statement of observation.

jdinca-I use the bottom of the foot if I am trying to lessen the potential damage to a training partner. In comp. I only use the heel.

Telos

White Belt
Reaction score
We practice both style. Jump Spin Hook Kick with heel and/or with ball. The heel is usuallt trageted at thside or back of the head. The ball of foot is usually targeted at the chin.

This video is prime example of what i try to tell my students. one....quit standing around and dancing. two keep your gaurd up. Otherwise your head fodder.

As a competitor I prefer High section dollyo chagis or narabangs versus spin hooks. But thats just me.