TKD fighters in UFC?

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What do you do after their eyes glaze over and they begin to froth at the mouth?

Thats only after I've RNCd them, I prefer uninterrupted monologues personally, I find talking to unconcious men much more soothing that ones that are awake.
Nah, I'm surrounded by MMA fighters, promoters, coaches who talk more than I do so we get on well lol!
Anyway I can always go off and do yoga with my meerkat.
Yogakat

00814.jpg

• Size : Small
  • Hobby : Yoga

About:

Yogakat finds great peace from forcing body into uncomfortable positions. Can fold self into origami swan and pick nose with tail while achieving higher state of bendy-ness.
This meerkat goes to Weston Super Mare to play slot machine and snog stranger outside closed beach bar or stand in middle of gigantic empty car park when feeling sickness of home in Kalahari.

Nolerama

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
If this might shed a little perspective, I train MMA in the United States, but I rarely make a point to watch the UFC (or WEC for that matter) when it's live.

That doesn't mean I don't try to keep up. However, I find myself catching clips of other productions, like DREAM, PRIDE, Rio Heroes, etc.

They're all different, with different rule sets. But who cares? It's MMA, and why not mix up the rules a bit from production to production?

Basically, I'm saying that it's MMA first (ironically, that sounds like a really good name for a production... MMA 1st...) for the folks that train in MMA. Forget the production. Forget the decreasing masses that associate MMA w/ only the UFC. They'll come along.

This might sound a bit harsh on a TKD thread, but that's like this scenario:

A: "Hey! I'm going to my TKD tourney, wish me luck!"

B: "Huh? What's that?"

A: "Tae Kwon Do, it's a martial art. I have a tournament. Wish me luck!"

B: "Is that like karate?"

A: "It's a Korean martial art."

B: "Oh well, good luck at your karate tournament."

Does it really matter? Does it bruise one's ego to casually mistaken one art for another? In this case, mistake one production for another? It's all the same thing (Disclaimer: karate and TKD are different)

People who aren't that involved in whatever MA will always code-switch. It's not a big deal.

I think I just wrote myself into circles... I guess my entire point is that arguing semantics, whether it be on the production-association level, to the individual arts, to the names of universal techniques can play a huge part in destroying an individual practitioner's viewpoint of his/her own art, and that of others. Why play that game?

dancingalone

Grandmaster
Reaction score
An ATA black belt appeared on The Ultimate Fighter. Danny Abisidi or something like that. He lost in his prelim round.

Miles

Senior Master
Reaction score
I was watching something this past weekend about the Matt Hughes/Matt Serra match. I was pleasantly surprised to see Amir Khillah of Kalamazoo MI is one of Hughes' trainers. Amir was a collegiate TKD champ though his interest in the past few years seems to be MMA.

CDKJudoka

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I love doing MMA as a primarily TKD guy. Many people are surprised by a TKD turn around side kick, since it it so fast an powerful. That and they are surprised when a TKD guy will go to the ground. :)

Dave Leverich

Black Belt
Reaction score
An ATA black belt appeared on The Ultimate Fighter. Danny Abisidi or something like that. He lost in his prelim round.
Danny Abbadi

He didn't fare so well, but it was mainly due to a back issue I believe?
I've since seen him on WCL, although I didn't see much of his matches. He's gone up in weight about 20lbs for that.

Dave Leverich

Black Belt
Reaction score

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Good points about teep vs front leg front kicks, I've found a lot of variation in my TKD vs Muay Thai approaches. Shifting to TKD style kicking and back can really mess with people, timing, hip dedication etc, it's a nice random.

MMA is all about arming yourself with as many 'weapons' as you can! TKD has plenty.

Latest Discussions