David Loisseau

ajs1976

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I was watching UFC Unleashed last night and they replayed one of David Loisseau's matches. He ended the fight be launching a spinning back kick into his opponent's ribs and then going in for some ground and pound. A spinning back kick is supposed to be one of those flashing kicks that is useless in MMA settings. His comment at the end of the fight was that he saw the opening, went for the kick, he is a TKD black belt, and has been doing this since he was a little kid.

Have any of you watched his matche? From a TKD perspective what do you think of his style? His UFC.TV profile lists his style as Boxing and Wrestling. He seems to kick more and with more variety then most of the other UFC fighters and not just rely on Muay Thai style leg kicks. If his style is based off of TKD, he has rounded it out more. The kicks are there, but so are punches and some wicked elbows.

mrhnau

Senior Master
Reaction score
doc clean said:
I was watching UFC Unleashed last night and they replayed one of David Loisseau's matches. He ended the fight be launching a spinning back kick into his opponent's ribs and then going in for some ground and pound. A spinning back kick is supposed to be one of those flashing kicks that is useless in MMA settings. His comment at the end of the fight was that he saw the opening, went for the kick, he is a TKD black belt, and has been doing this since he was a little kid.

Have any of you watched his matche? From a TKD perspective what do you think of his style? His UFC.TV profile lists his style as Boxing and Wrestling. He seems to kick more and with more variety then most of the other UFC fighters and not just rely on Muay Thai style leg kicks. If his style is based off of TKD, he has rounded it out more. The kicks are there, but so are punches and some wicked elbows.

I just watched the fight (taped it last night). That was a wicked kick. However, he did employ a jumping kick that his opponent totally went under! He wound up ok, but you don't see alot of jumping kicks in the UFC. With MMA, he probably has studied alot of arts. His elbows were quite brutal! I'm not a TKD expert, but that back kick was pretty wicked. The opponent looked like he just wanted to die!

MrH

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Everything has its time and place. Some situations may be suited for a spinning type kick and others may not. Any time you're doing a spinning kick, it needs to be set up properly. If not, and you're telegraphing it, it could find you in some trouble.

Mike

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Well all I know is that his opponet was hurting ftom that kick, it took the wind out and most likely cracked some ribs. Nice to see a good old fashion spinning back kick.
Terry

Eternal Beginner

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Yes, David Louiseau is awesome! I think he is extremely gifted and works extremely hard and most "ordinary" people probably wouldn't have the timing or speed to carry out a kick like that. There is a reason why you don't see it often in MMA type scenarios. That being said, I think he proves the point that it is the fighter not so much the 'style' that wins fights IMO.

Gemini

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
MJS said:
Everything has its time and place. Some situations may be suited for a spinning type kick and others may not. Any time you're doing a spinning kick, it needs to be set up properly. If not, and you're telegraphing it, it could find you in some trouble.

Mike

I agree. When defending the usefulness of such kicks, I've always said, the kick that your opponent doesn't expect is an effective kick. Anything can work under the correct circumstances.

searcher

Senior Master
Reaction score
MJS said:

Mike

Ditto for me!!!!
icon14.gif

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
MJS said:
Everything has its time and place. Some situations may be suited for a spinning type kick and others may not.

Yes, definitely. Everything will work some of the time. Sounds like he chose the right time! I haven't seen the whole fight, but I have seen this clip.

mrhnau

Senior Master
Reaction score
arnisador said:
Yes, definitely. Everything will work some of the time. Sounds like he chose the right time! I haven't seen the whole fight, but I have seen this clip.

Tape them LOL. It's late for me to watch, but I always have a good tuesday morning :) Plus you get to fast forward through the inifite Xience and Right Guard commercials!

MrH

FearlessFreep

Senior Master
Reaction score
I was watching UFC Unleashed last night and they replayed one of David Loisseau's matches. He ended the fight be launching a spinning back kick into his opponent's ribs and then going in for some ground and pound. A spinning back kick is supposed to be one of those flashing kicks that is useless in MMA settings.

I've seen more high kicks and spinning kicks in other forms of MMA competition, like Pride, then I have in UFC (granted, small sample size in what I've seen). I think the different sporting events have different rules and that naturally leads to different tactics.

The more I watch these events, the more I think of them as 'sport', and as such, the rules of the sport dictate the tactics and the tactics dictate the skills and techniques used and right now, in UFC, high kicks and spinning kicks are not favored so people don't use them so they don't practice them so they don't do them very well so.... I saw a spinning heel rake to the head in a Pride fight that was faster than a see a lot of the low roundhouse kicks to the lower legs you see in UFC.

So what does that mean? Nothing much, just that sport competitions don't really indicate what works in a life-death struggle. Different techniques fall out of favor or get popular and it's a cyclical thing. Spinning kicks might not be the most popular or even useful technique in UFC, but that doesn't mean much unless you are fighting in UFC

OP
A

ajs1976

Purple Belt
Reaction score
terryl965 said:
Well all I know is that his opponet was hurting ftom that kick, it took the wind out and most likely cracked some ribs. Nice to see a good old fashion spinning back kick.
Terry

I heard at one point that the guy had seperated ribs.

Kempojujutsu

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
If you missed the show, they do re-air it through the week and weekend. I know it will be on Thursday Night, same time as Monday night show. Also they have it on Friday & Saturday nights. Not sure of the time on those nights. Go to www.spiketv.com.

Update Here is their schedule for UFC Unleashed
Saturday, October 29 @ 9:00 PM
Monday, October 31 @ 10:00 PM
Wednesday, November 2 @ 11:00 PM
Thursday, November 3 @ 11:00 PM
Friday, November 4 @ 11:00 PM

Andrew Green

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Compare the ratio, spinning back kicks to round kicks.

Lot's of things can be used if the opportunity is right, and they can turn the fight around. But in order for them to be useful the core stuff has to be there.

Throwing something unorthodox once and a while can definately work to your advantage, but you also have to remember that the opportunity for one might show up every few fights at best. Where a round kick will be thrown many times per fight.

The other thing about unorthodox stuff is if it starts becoming common people will train more to defend it and it's usefulness will drop.

Gemini

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Andrew Green said:
The other thing about unorthodox stuff is if it starts becoming common people will train more to defend it and it's usefulness will drop.
No doubt. I remember when a jumping back kick was considered one of those unorthidox &quot;fancy&quot; kicks. Now they're common place.

Latest Discussions