TKD Dobaks

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Not to my knowledge. Did you get yours at the Mooto store down the street from Kukkiwon?

Miles

Mooto is now available in the US. Guess where their store is? Right next door to Best Martial Arts Supply:Sang Moo Sa in Paramount, CA.

Laurentkd

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Not to my knowledge. Did you get yours at the Mooto store down the street from Kukkiwon?

Miles

Sure did! You?
That is the coolest thing about Korea- entire stores dedicated to TKD!! (ok, maybe not THE coolest, but pretty high up there!)

Miles

Senior Master
Reaction score
Sure did! You?
That is the coolest thing about Korea- entire stores dedicated to TKD!! (ok, maybe not THE coolest, but pretty high up there!)

I did too! I enjoyed going to the stores and drinking tea while waiting 5-10 minutes for a belt to be embroidered. I should have brought more money....next time!!!

Miles

Miles

Senior Master
Reaction score
Mooto is now available in the US. Guess where their store is? Right next door to Best Martial Arts Supply:Sang Moo Sa in Paramount, CA.

Since the topic is dobaks, anyone have a Mooto Exterra (spelling?) dobak? They are available from Best/Sang Moo Sa (though probably not for long if they are now competitors.....) since they are in the catalog. I wonder if the US Mooto store has a website?

Miles

Laurentkd

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Since the topic is dobaks, anyone have a Mooto Exterra (spelling?) dobak? They are available from Best/Sang Moo Sa (though probably not for long if they are now competitors.....) since they are in the catalog. I wonder if the US Mooto store has a website?

Miles

I think it is golden tiger that carries Mooto stuff in the US. But you can also order directly from their website which is what I prefer (I don't know that I can post it here, but a quick search should get it for you).
Another guy at my dojang has it (bought it in korea actually) and it seems like a quality uniform and does have a cool stretchy-ness to it, but I don't know if it is worth it's price. I have the basic Mooto uniform and I think it is great (totally comparable with adidas or pine tree top models) and it was about a third of the price.

Laurentkd

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I was finally going to give in to myself and buy a Tekno J-3 dobok (who cares that I have uniforms hanging in my closet that I have even yet to wear!) but it looks like you can't get a black collar size 4 anymore (the same with some other sizes). Anyone know if they will be coming back? Or better yet, anyone have one in their pro shop they would like to sell me? (cough cough Master Stoker cough) :)

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

Miles

Yes sir, they do. Mooto.us James Kim is the owner. You can throw a baseball from Sang Moo Sa & hit the Mooto store in Paramount, CA.

GlassJaw

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Yes sir, they do. Mooto.us James Kim is the owner. You can throw a baseball from Sang Moo Sa & hit the Mooto store in Paramount, CA.

You obviously have never seen me throw.

Anyway, I have some questions:

When did Kukkiwon first come up with the V-neck, pullover dobaks?

About how long was it before most schools of KKW-certified instructors had switched from the crossover (bathrobe/kimono-style) dobaks?

Does anyone else get a little irritated when people insist that "dobak" refers specifically to the V-neck-style uniform, rather than simply to any martial arts uniform?

Is there anyone who makes a heavyweight, all-cotton, white-lapelled V-neck dobak? (Would be great for forms and demos [but suck for sparring]. Nice, loud snap. However, everything I've found is either medium-weight at best or is a polyester blend.)

Anyone ever tried attaching patches with Velcro? I would love to
be able to bleach a uniform, but patches can't handle it.

Dan

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I was finally going to give in to myself and buy a Tekno J-3 dobok (who cares that I have uniforms hanging in my closet that I have even yet to wear!) but it looks like you can't get a black collar size 4 anymore (the same with some other sizes). Anyone know if they will be coming back? Or better yet, anyone have one in their pro shop they would like to sell me? (cough cough Master Stoker cough) :)

Yes I have a size four in my store if you would like it pm me with the mailing address and it will be done.

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
You obviously have never seen me throw.

Anyway, I have some questions:

When did Kukkiwon first come up with the V-neck, pullover dobaks?

About how long was it before most schools of KKW-certified instructors had switched from the crossover (bathrobe/kimono-style) dobaks?

Does anyone else get a little irritated when people insist that "dobak" refers specifically to the V-neck-style uniform, rather than simply to any martial arts uniform?

Is there anyone who makes a heavyweight, all-cotton, white-lapelled V-neck dobak? (Would be great for forms and demos [but suck for sparring]. Nice, loud snap. However, everything I've found is either medium-weight at best or is a polyester blend.)

Anyone ever tried attaching patches with Velcro? I would love to
be able to bleach a uniform, but patches can't handle it.

Dan

On the subject of a heavier weight v-neck dobok: Kwon used to have one. I'm not sure they still make them, however.

As far as how well you throw, I guess that's why you do TKD instead of pitch for the Mets.

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

Miles

Miles:

I spoke to James Kim about the Extera. He swears it's the best dobok for fighters. But then again, he is the US rep for them.

Kodiak61

White Belt
Reaction score
We wear a cross-over karate style uniform. White to 2nd degree Red Belt wear a white uniform. Brown and up wear a black uniform or we can mix white and black tops and bottoms or wear a all white uniform. We have two association patches that are mandatory and the GM signature in embroidered on the left front of the jacket.

Bumblebee

Green Belt
Reaction score
My dobok is Best Brand. It's what our sparring team wears. It's comfortable and absorbs sweat well enough. The only patch I have is a Taekwondo one with the Korean and USA flag. I have another one that's a spare and that one's not so good. I pretty much wear that one when the other one needs to be washed. When training one on one, I usually wear a pair of old dobok pants an under armor t-shirt.

lady fighter

White Belt
Reaction score
We use cross tie jackets.. all students under 4th dan wear full white uniforms (white pants and club t-shirt during summer months) 4th Dan and higher are permitted to wear black stripes on white pants or to wear solid black pants! Our school is currently looking into Competition uniforms for the upcoming 2008 "open" tournament season.. we are debating using V-neck uniforms.. due to how light they are for sparring purposes :)

newGuy12

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I just started back. My Master Instructor handed me a dobok and said, "Wear this". It is all white and very light weight. We do not have patches nowadays. Instead, the back of the top has a silk screened logo with our school name.

He said that he would order me a new one (one that has the black part around the neck --> black belts students have different uniforms in that way). We use the v-neck style of uniform. It is more "modern", and does not get undone and in the way and messy looking when you practice and when you have the chest shield on. Also, that is what our GrandMaster says do, so that is what we do.

We have Instructors in our organization who also wear some kind of "Addidas" uniform. I will simply wear the one that I have now unless I can get into shape and move better. If that happens, perhaps I will buy a more fancy uniform.

I also like to hem my pants up a little more than usual, because nothing is worse than the pants dragging on the floor!

Oh, and our uniforms (I cannot recall who the manufacturer is, they are very lightweight and inexpensive) --> they have the WTF logo right at the solar plexus!!!

Regards,

Robert

HelloKitty

Green Belt
Reaction score
:)

OK, this is just a fun thread. Which type of dobok do you prefer and what brand? How many patches do you wear if any?

My master gave my husband and I the doboks when we signed up. They're completely white and only have the symbol of our school on the back. (So, no patches xD) But the quality isn't the best and we'll need another pair of them in the future.

I think we'll go for adidas. When I trained for several years in south america I bought an adidas dobok and it was the best of 4 I had then. I hope they are not too expensive here! xD

Could anyone from DFW (TX) tell me what would be the best dobok prize/quality? ;)

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
My master gave my husband and I the doboks when we signed up. They're completely white and only have the symbol of our school on the back. (So, no patches xD) But the quality isn't the best and we'll need another pair of them in the future.

I think we'll go for adidas. When I trained for several years in south america I bought an adidas dobok and it was the best of 4 I had then. I hope they are not too expensive here! xD

Could anyone from DFW (TX) tell me what would be the best dobok prize/quality? ;)

You have a great store called Lang Son Traders in Arlington Texas on Abrams street and then there is always Tekno out in Wautagua and there J-3 is probaly the best as far as comfort goes. lLet me know if I can help I'm in Arlington myself.

Latest Discussions