Titles

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Having said all of that what is important is not the title but one's ability and if you are a teacher then one's ability to teach as well!
And that is, I think, the factor that often gets lost in such discussions.

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
A title is necessary if you want to become a teacher / Sensei especially if you want to living from the Martial Arts.
Nope

I agree... You only need students to be a teacher.

To be a good teacher, you need technical knowledge, patience, and a certain level of confidence.

To be a great teacher, you need technical excellence, even more patience, humility, and insight into your students and your art.

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I meant the legal side and I can only speak for Germany. If you don´t have a state recognized certificate that allows you to teach, you can have serious problems if for example a student get hurt. For example my different titels from all over the world and different associations didn´t count. I had to to a be tested by an authority in order to teach.

And of course my students call me by my first name :)
Would you need any of that to teach someone privately/covertly in your basement? You might need them to teach publicly and to enjoy the legal protections that go with the teaching certification, but you don't need it to be able to teach someone.

In fact, I've learned more from people who didn't even know they were teaching me than they'd believe!

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
In fact, I've learned more from people who didn't even know they were teaching me than they'd believe!

Amen brother..Short mini lesson that stay with you a long time..

German Coach

Orange Belt
Reaction score
You might need them to teach publicly and to enjoy the legal protections that go with the teaching certification, but you don't need it to be able to teach someone.

I agree - have the same experience.

Latest Discussions