Tips on Matial arts training with a New born baby!

python3d

White Belt
Reaction score
Hi there
im a martial arts trainee and enthusiast... Train on a regular basis...
My wife and I are now having our first baby...

Any tips or advice how will I now be able to train or squeeze in a work out here and there...?

Training has been a big part of me since a child i don't want to leave it now..
help!

In advance thank you for your time and any advice tips that is offered.

-

mook jong man

Senior Master
Reaction score
I'd advise not to do martial arts training with a new born baby.

I find that they are far too small to hold the pads properly.

Blindside

Grandmaster
Founding Member
Reaction score
1. Have an understanding wife.
2. Make sure that she gets her own time, just like you get yours.
3. Make regular classes, keep in the habit of study, do additional workouts when the kid is asleep. Admittedly in the first couple of months you will be pretty tired as well, but again, keep the habit.
4. Kids vary alot on their sleep patterns, their patterns will naturally impact yours, but depending on the kid they may be sleeping through night at 4 months (my first son) or waking up multiple times a night at 8 months (my second, right now, aaargh. :D).
5. Enjoy the time, and make time for your kid, its the most important thing you can do.

Instructor

Master of Arts
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I didn't even slow down. Heck I just brought ours to practice, still remember the little bouncy seat in the dojang.

OP
P

python3d

White Belt
Reaction score
will do
thanks for your advice
ill keep it in mind

OP
P

python3d

White Belt
Reaction score
haha that's what i was thinking, this way they will get into it quicker.. get them to start young haha
thanks

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'd advise not to do martial arts training with a new born baby.

I find that they are far too small to hold the pads properly.

But they do provide built-in progressive resistance training, if used as a weight.

And that's only half tongue-in-cheek. I used to do crunches, leg raises, and so on with my son when he was a baby. Just don't use the baby as a medicine ball and do wall throws...

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
A friend of mine posted this pic of his baby on Facebook. Python you know you have to post baby photos on here now don't you!! :)

318086_465000666881212_1812180608_n.jpg

Unreal Combat

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
If you have a regular routine stick with it the best that you can. It will be easier long term. Just make sure your partner gets some time out to do their own thing aswell.

And congratulations!

Cyriacus

Senior Master
Reaction score
Well, you have a training partner. You can train together. Just do whatever youd normally do in training with your own spicy flavor stirred into it! Want to do more of something? Do it! Less? Do it! Wanna try something new? Do it!
Generally, you can fit a workout into a few minutes if you trim all the gaps out and concentrate it. Of course it doesnt need to be THAT compact, but it can be and thats what counts. Google some bodyweight exercises, as well. Theyre great for high reps and sweat.

mook jong man

Senior Master
Reaction score
But they do provide built-in progressive resistance training, if used as a weight.

And that's only half tongue-in-cheek. I used to do crunches, leg raises, and so on with my son when he was a baby. Just don't use the baby as a medicine ball and do wall throws...

Very true , in fact my old mum still likes to knock out a few sets of squats now and again with me draped across her shoulders as resistance.

I wouldn't mind so much, except that the other patrons at the gym tend to stop and stare quite a bit.

OP
P

python3d

White Belt
Reaction score
thank you thank you to all who responded !!! I will stick with my routine because i know if i fall back even for a week i will regret it...
Good luck to all...

-python3d

OP
P

python3d

White Belt
Reaction score

hahahaahaha ur right

OP
P

python3d

White Belt
Reaction score
If you have a regular routine stick with it the best that you can. It will be easier long term. Just make sure your partner gets some time out to do their own thing aswell.

And congratulations!

thanks and I will sick with it... And ill make sure she will.. thanks man!

Daikenen

White Belt
Reaction score
Having a wonderful and understanding wife definitely helps. First place I took my little girl after the hospital was for a tour of the dojo, that was on the way to our home for the first time. Do your best to attend classes once or twice a week to keep it a habit, or even alternate how many times you go each week. Training is important, but so is harmony at home. Congratulations btw.

ATC

Senior Master
Reaction score
All my kids grew up in the Dojang. We have many adult students that have their spouse in the stances that watch. Why would you change doing what you love. Just have them join your fun.

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Put the children first. They need you more than you need martial arts training. When they are older, get them involved. I used to bring my daughter to the dojo when she wasn't mobile, but as soon as she started walking it was too much of a distraction. The only thing I could do was cut back on training during the times she was awake. I also shifted my workout patterns to the early mornings so that I would have more time with family. Here's a funny story, when my daughter was nine months old, I was training jujutsu and ended up bringing her to the dojo. During a sparring session, I crashed into the mat and broke my collar bone. I ended up going to the ER with all of my training partners and baby in tow. Later that fall, I removed my brace to wash it and had to lay flat on the floor so the ends of the bone didn't move or grinder together. My daughter was sitting just out of reach and filled her diaper to overflowing. Then, she began to happily dip her fingers in the poop and eat it. Helplessly, I called for my wife, who was horrified, and she told me in no uncertain terms that if I got hurt training again, she might have to kill me.

OP
P

python3d

White Belt
Reaction score
Put the children first. They need you more than you need martial arts training. When they are older, get them involved. I used to bring my daughter to the dojo when she wasn't mobile, but as soon as she started walking it was too much of a distraction. The only thing I could do was cut back on training during the times she was awake. I also shifted my workout patterns to the early mornings so that I would have more time with family. Here's a funny story, when my daughter was nine months old, I was training jujutsu and ended up bringing her to the dojo. During a sparring session, I crashed into the mat and broke my collar bone. I ended up going to the ER with all of my training partners and baby in tow. Later that fall, I removed my brace to wash it and had to lay flat on the floor so the ends of the bone didn't move or grinder together. My daughter was sitting just out of reach and filled her diaper to overflowing. Then, she began to happily dip her fingers in the poop and eat it. Helplessly, I called for my wife, who was horrified, and she told me in no uncertain terms that if I got hurt training again, she might have to kill me.

WOW! thanks for the tip