Thoughts on Yim WC

bully

Purple Belt
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The hard thing is, GM Yip learned at least 3 styles of Wing/Weng chun in his life. Tracking down all of those 3 histories makes it pretty tough.

Bully - are you doing cho ga wing chun?

No I try to do Ip Man lineage, sort of a bastard son of Kamon in a way. However when i was in China I was lucky enough to spend 5 weeks at Kung Fu school which taught Foshan WC, not sure exactly what flavour but I have looked for the forms on Youtube etc cannot find them.

So I know SLT and CK (not mastered, just know;-)) and bumble along doing these but I have the added bonus of Ershianshi (the Foshan form) which traditionally is taught before SLT so my master told me. They have 4 empty hand forms compared to our 3.

Alot more traditional in a Northern Kung Fu way if you know what I mean?? Some of the moves in the form would not be considered Wing Chun as we know it. I appreciated it for what it was and will continue to practice it. I see it as an addition to my training.

Eric_H

Black Belt
Reaction score
No I try to do Ip Man lineage, sort of a bastard son of Kamon in a way. However when i was in China I was lucky enough to spend 5 weeks at Kung Fu school which taught Foshan WC, not sure exactly what flavour but I have looked for the forms on Youtube etc cannot find them.

So I know SLT and CK (not mastered, just know;-)) and bumble along doing these but I have the added bonus of Ershianshi (the Foshan form) which traditionally is taught before SLT so my master told me. They have 4 empty hand forms compared to our 3.

Alot more traditional in a Northern Kung Fu way if you know what I mean?? Some of the moves in the form would not be considered Wing Chun as we know it. I appreciated it for what it was and will continue to practice it. I see it as an addition to my training.

Bully,

That sounds pretty cool, if you ever find a vid of it please share. I know that some of the WC that mixed with Omei has a definite snake/crane emphasis, but it seems to be more from the Omei side than the WC.

Thinking about it, I had once seen a WC branch that did a form of long range fighting very similar to northern shaolin, then was more like "standard" WC once they got in close. Wonder if it was the same one you got to learn.

bully

Purple Belt
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Will do Eric, I am ill at the mo and cant train which is frustrating. I will film myself doing the form when I am better. I have all 4 forms of the lineage on video but I promised I would not make them public. So the best thing I can offer is doing the one I know myself....wont be pretty though :-( but you guys will get the idea.

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
...The hard thing is, GM Yip learned at least 3 styles of Wing/Weng chun in his life...

Three or more. His core was Leung Jan lineage from Chan Wah Shun/ Ng Chun So, and later from Leung Bic. But there were others too. Anybody that obsessed with, and gifted at martial arts learns like a sponge. Great minds are ever curious. True masters creatively assimilate information. Disciples simply repeat what they are taught. Seems like that's something we all need to keep in mind.

Asmo

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
In our lineage it is a stork and a rodent , and I can certainly see the similarity in our techniques to a stork deflecting with its wings .

But at the end of the day who cares where it comes from , it's mine now , and yours and whoever elses that makes the effort to get off their **** and do the daily training that is required.

Really? I was told snake and crane. They must have changed it, or maybe the instructor who told me believed that snake and crane was correct. I agree with you about the similarity to a stork, but that could also be analogous to a crane.

Then again that could lead one into theorising that it did come from Fukien White Crane. I'm not too hung up on the origins, but the theories are interesting nonetheless.

mook jong man

Senior Master
Reaction score
Really? I was told snake and crane. They must have changed it, or maybe the instructor who told me believed that snake and crane was correct. I agree with you about the similarity to a stork, but that could also be analogous to a crane.

Then again that could lead one into theorising that it did come from Fukien White Crane. I'm not too hung up on the origins, but the theories are interesting nonetheless.

I think in the blue book it refers to a stork and a rodent if memory serves correctly , but who knows next week it could be a budgie versus a shitzu.

But the recurring theme of the whole thing is that it is always some type of bird using it's wings to simultaneous counter attack using it's wings to deflect attacks while it counter attacks using it's beak or feet.

The only thing that changes is the type of bird and the type of animal it is fighting.

Asmo

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Yeah, true. I'll have to check the blue book.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
I think in the blue book it refers to a stork and a rodent if memory serves correctly , but who knows next week it could be a budgie versus a shitzu.

But the recurring theme of the whole thing is that it is always some type of bird using it's wings to simultaneous counter attack using it's wings to deflect attacks while it counter attacks using it's beak or feet.

The only thing that changes is the type of bird and the type of animal it is fighting.

There are similar stories in multiple Chinese martial arts, Taijiquan being one of them

After reading the history and or origin stories about several CMA styles I have concluded that pretty mush all either started with some type of bird fighting a snake and somewhere along the line a mystical being or priest in a cave gets involved… that or it comes from Guan Yu :D

Reaction score
There are similar stories in multiple Chinese martial arts, Taijiquan being one of them

After reading the history and or origin stories about several CMA styles I have concluded that pretty mush all either started with some type of bird fighting a snake and somewhere along the line a mystical being or priest in a cave gets involved… that or it comes from Guan Yu :D

Well , they're legends xp

Latest Discussions