Thoughts on Yim WC

MacPedro

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Guys,

IÂ’ve been thinking about the story of Yim Wing Chun and a thought occurred I would like to throw out there for discussion. ItÂ’s probably been voiced before here but IÂ’m newJ
If the tale of the origin of Wing Chun is a fabrication we can still learn/deduce 3 things.
1. Whoever made it up wanted us to know that this is an art where the weak may overcome the strong.
2. Whoever made it up wanted to show us that the principles can be utilised in combat in a short period of time. Before your overly amorous suitor comes a knocking.
3. We are not supposed to view Ng Mui (without whom the art would not have left the Southern Shaolin Temple) as the most important in the Wing Chun history. The person of most importance is the person itÂ’s named after, the first student, the person who embraced Wing Chun concepts and made them their own.

From a more personal point of view I feel perhaps WC has to be a fractured art. This melting pot is its strength not itÂ’s weakness. This seems too much of a good thing for the story to be anything other than a parable. As well as everything else Wing Chun is also a diagnostic honing tool, an engine of re-invention and a means to update itself. A living martial art (but only if we ensure we share our points of view and are willing to be open).
Regards,
Pedro J

Further reading
http://home.vtmuseum.org/articles/meng/truthrevealed.php

P.S. I am not trying to sell this as 'fact' I am mearly taking a rough stab at motives for the structure of the story...because I thought it may be of interest.

Reaction score
Guys,

I’ve been thinking about the story of Yim Wing Chun and a thought occurred I would like to throw out there for discussion. It’s probably been voiced before here but I’m newJ
If the tale of the origin of Wing Chun is a fabrication we can still learn/deduce 3 things.
1. Whoever made it up wanted us to know that this is an art where the weak may overcome the strong.
2. Whoever made it up wanted to show us that the principles can be utilised in combat in a short period of time. Before your overly amorous suitor comes a knocking.
3. We are not supposed to view Ng Mui (without whom the art would not have left the Southern Shaolin Temple) as the most important in the Wing Chun history. The person of most importance is the person it’s named after, the first student, the person who embraced Wing Chun concepts and made them their own.

From a more personal point of view I feel perhaps WC has to be a fractured art. This melting pot is its strength not it’s weakness. This seems too much of a good thing for the story to be anything other than a parable. As well as everything else Wing Chun is also a diagnostic honing tool, an engine of re-invention and a means to update itself. A living martial art (but only if we ensure we share our points of view and are willing to be open).
Regards,
Pedro J

Further reading

P.S. I am not trying to sell this as 'fact' I am mearly taking a rough stab at motives for the structure of the story...because I thought it may be of interest.

One thing i've learned is that people in general sometimes need a back story to get an idea of the strength or value of something they can't understand the first time they see it, Though we have no way of confirming this and what i'm about to say is speculation couldn't it be possible that the story of ng mui was one of the less brutal stories that was brought to light , perhaps passed down by the practitioner of the art in its early days to a student to give him an idea of WC's strength, if you think about it if wing chun originated in a shaolin temple then it would be fairly obvious that raids for food and supplies would be a common occourance and that the monks who first developed this system really felt a need to develop it because of the nature of their attackers? Ofcourse the story that has been passed down could be specualtion too since we have no way of checking although i think one thing is certain , there was a need for a quick effective system for self defense and wing chun was born.

the three points you mentioned i can agree with but even if wc was like a melting pot , I think it is complete in no way incomplete. For me , it is probably my knowledge that is incomplete. :)

Regards
HLF

Domino

Black Belt
Reaction score
I see the story parallel to examples I am given during class but true or not, lovely story.

Nabakatsu

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Something I Was told by my Dai Sifu, do with it what you will, was this:
The idea that Ng mui was weak and thus the style she created was for weaker opponents to overcome stronger opponents is both silly and deleterious. Why one may ask?
Well, for starters, if Ng Mui was a master of shaolin kung fu before she made Wing Chun, she'd have to be quite strong! all that tiger kung fu and such.. she'd be flexible, agile, strong, patient, balanced, ect ect, these things are important to all forms of kung fu, from what little I know ;)
The other aspect to this is, it creates and excuse for wing chun men and women, to not be in good physical condition, if your going to train a martial art, you should have some physical prowess, the best you can do anyways, certainly some will have limitations. It's important to train hard and be in good shape if you want to make this system work against other skill practitioners of different arts, or just against bigger stronger faster people.
Just some food for thought.
Cheers!

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
I believe in one of Ip Chun’s books he even questions the origin story that has Wing Chun coming from Ng Mui to Yim Wing Chun

The thing about Chinese origin stories is sometimes they are changed or linked to a famous person of the time or roughly from that time or a historical person known at that time to gain legitimacy

That however does not mean that the origin of Wing Chun coming from Ng Mui is not true… but it cannot be proven historically at this time as far as I know

zepedawingchun

Black Belt
Reaction score

This may not be how it really happened, but, in my guesstimation, what actually occurred probably isn't much different than this. If you've never read or heard this story, you owe it to yourself to do that. The pros and cons make good sense and actually makes you want to question everything. Which is what we are supposed to do in WC anyway, right?

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score

This may not be how it really happened, but, in my guesstimation, what actually occurred probably isn't much different than this. If you've never read or heard this story, you owe it to yourself to do that. The pros and cons make good sense and actually makes you want to question everything. Which is what we are supposed to do in WC anyway, right?

May or may not be true, what is the Wing Chun Museum's source?

I can give you multiple reputable sources that Zhang Sanfeng created Taijiquan on Wudang Mountain but there has not yet been a historical scholar in or out of China that can prove Zhang Sanfeng ever existed. But there are a whole lot of real Chinese Taijiquan masters that had and have no doubt of his existence

I will give the article this though, Shaolin Temple was very good at documentation and if there is no documentation of Ng Moi from Shaolin that origin stories validity is not looking good

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I tend to agree with MacPedro. Origin stories in kung-fu like have survived, like so much treasured folklore, partly because they are good stories that touch a sympathetic cord in people, and also in part because they embody lessons and values relevant to their context. Ultimately, the historical accuracy of these stories cannot be ascertained. But their relevance to the concepts of Wing Chun are clear. Among the ideas conveyed are that:

1. WC came from Shaolin, but is new and different, designed to be more efficient and effective
2. By eliminating inefficient, complex, and overly specialized moves, WC can be learned relatively quickly.
3. Since it's movements "borrow your opponent's power" even an old woman or young girl could use this system effectively.
4. In the hands of a skilled and strong boxer, like Wing Chun's husband Leung Bok Chau (and the masters who came after him), this system is unsurpassed in effectiveness.
5. Wing Chun should be a morally righteous art to be used to help the weak and oppressed fight against injustice and aggression.

In other words, pretty much what Mac P. already said. Kinda the WC version of "George Washington and the Cherry Tree" or to use something that's been in the news lately, "The Midnight Ride of Paul Revere".

And Nabakatsu, your Dai Sifu's opinions are not surprising considering how big and strong he himself is (see number 4 in my list above). He probably doesn't have much patience with small, weak and lazy WC people making excuses for their soft approach to training and then justifying it with a bunch of mystical "internal" hogwash backed up by a distorted version of this story. Well, there goes my excuse! Rats.

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I have seen it suggested, I believe by Yang Ming-Jwing, that Wing Chun came from Fukien White Crane.

If you look at videos of Fukien White Crane, there are some things that look similar to Wing Chun.

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I have seen it suggested, I believe by Yang Ming-Jwing, that Wing Chun came from Fukien White Crane.

If you look at videos of Fukien White Crane, there are some things that look similar to Wing Chun.

Many others have come to the same conclusions, and some have specifically identified the sub-branch of Fukien Weng Chun White Crane as a likely ancestor. Others say it was a branch of White Crane practiced in the Weng Chun Precinct of Fo'Shan. Even some of the stories about Ng Mui identified her as expert in Crane Boxing, told of her taking refuge in the White Crane Temple on Mt. Tai Leung, and of her famously observing a fight between a crane and snake, (or in other stories, a stork and fox). Who knows? Certainly there are still vestiges of Crane, Snake and other systems in Wing Chun. I look at many Southern styles as "cousins" of WC. Still, Wing Chun not only has different techniques than these possible forebearers, but a different philosophy as well. It was that that I alluded to in my comments above regarding our origin stories.

yak sao

Senior Master
Reaction score
Could the name "Ng Mui" be another clue into the system?

Ng being "five" in cantonese, and Mui, I believe is "plum flower"......the footwork pattern for the wooden dummy.

Also, the plum flower, in Chinese culture, stands for courage and hope......and it blossoms at the end of winter from a seemilngly lifeless branch

How is all this simply coincidence?

wtxs

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Could the name "Ng Mui" be another clue into the system?

Ng being "five" in cantonese, and Mui, I believe is "plum flower"......the footwork pattern for the wooden dummy.

Also, the plum flower, in Chinese culture, stands for courage and hope......and it blossoms at the end of winter from a seemilngly lifeless branch

How is all this simply coincidence?

Ng Mui is a name given to the nun - you're right that "Ng = 5, however, "Mui = daughter ... it identifies her sibling standing within a family or group, which she is the 5th. This naming practice is very informal and common ... much like the saying my #2 son or my 2nd born.

Eric_H

Black Belt
Reaction score
May or may not be true, what is the Wing Chun Museum's source?

At the time, it was mostly my Sifu, Garrett Gee.

In Hung Fa Yi Wing Chun, we acknowledge the term Ng Mui as an energy concept. It is more or less a retelling of the 5 elements theory through Wing Chun's eyes. "Yim Wing Chun" can also be understood as "keep secret the wing chun." Basically, the whole story is filled with different codewords.

I wrote a small article about the crane and snake theory and how it applies (or in this case doesn't) to my own lineage. If you'd like, give it a read here:

http://hfy108.com/forums/showthread.php?3087-Crane-and-Snake-and-what-they-mean-to-HFY-Wing-Chun

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
I was looking for this old post.

This is from the book - Wing Chun Kung Fu, Traditional Chinese Kung Fu for Self-Defense and Health - By Ip Chun with Michael Tse

Ip Chun talks about origin

001bc893_medium.jpeg

mook jong man

Senior Master
Reaction score
In our lineage it is a stork and a rodent , and I can certainly see the similarity in our techniques to a stork deflecting with its wings .

But at the end of the day who cares where it comes from , it's mine now , and yours and whoever elses that makes the effort to get off their **** and do the daily training that is required.

bully

Purple Belt
Supporting Member
Reaction score
In the Foshan form I learnt there is strong elements of snake and crane which is not in any Ip Man lineage which I have seen (I am not saying I have seen them all!!). These elements seem to have been removed from the system by Ip Man. So it would seem logical to say the crane and snake story would be an influence to the system.

Will video it soon.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
I could be very wrong, and take it for what it is worth since I am more a Taiji/Xingyi person than Wing Chun, but I think tracking down any origin based on what Ip Man taught (lineage to Ip Man) would be difficult since it is my understanding that he pretty much did not teach any two people exactly the same. From what I can see and what I have been told Ip Ching and Ip Chun do not even teach the exact same forms or the exact same way.

Eric_H

Black Belt
Reaction score
I could be very wrong, and take it for what it is worth since I am more a Taiji/Xingyi person than Wing Chun, but I think tracking down any origin based on what Ip Man taught (lineage to Ip Man) would be difficult since it is my understanding that he pretty much did not teach any two people exactly the same. From what I can see and what I have been told Ip Ching and Ip Chun do not even teach the exact same forms or the exact same way.

The hard thing is, GM Yip learned at least 3 styles of Wing/Weng chun in his life. Tracking down all of those 3 histories makes it pretty tough.

Bully - are you doing cho ga wing chun?

Latest Discussions