Those little sayings that hit home

TheOriginalName

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Hey one and all.....

I'm only a relatively recent member of MT and only a relatively new into the MA world (4 weeks training in Bushidokan ----- and loving every minute of it).

Reading through all the great posts on this forum i've noticed that everyone has a little quote or saying that they throw up every now and then ..... and i got to thinking (very dangerous and painful for me) that we need a place to gather all these very cool and powerful words.

So i'll start it off with one an old Basketball coach told me when i was younger and it stuck and still rings true....

Practise does not make perfect - Practise makes perminent

When i've done my 1000th block in a row i always here his voice in my head reminding me to check my form ......otheswise the first 999 blocks may have been undone.

I hope to see a heap more words of wisdom.

Gemini

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
There have been such threads before, but good for you because they're always fun and maybe even offer something to chew on. I'll offer one.

When opportunity knocks, the time for preparation is over.

Ella

<B>Banned User - Multiple Accounts / Previously Ba
Reaction score
These are really cliche, but you asked for it;

It is not the destination, but the journey

A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step

Black belt is not the end, but the beginning

Practice doesn't make perfect, practice makes permanent. Only perfect practice makes perfect.

Your best weapon is your mind

thesensei

Green Belt
Reaction score
"Violence is the last refuge of the incompetent." -- Salvor Hardin

"Better to be judged by twelve than carried by six."

"He who hesitates meditates in the horizontal position." -- Ed Parker

"There is no try. You must do!" -- Yoda

See signature

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I'd rather have an UGLY trial than a BEAUTIFUL funeral..

Ella

<B>Banned User - Multiple Accounts / Previously Ba
Reaction score
"Speed will get you nowhere if you're headed the wrong direction."

I wish that were true...

if your headed in the wrong direction, your going to be THAT FAR in the wrong direction when you realize your mistake. ;)

ChingChuan

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Insight in a process is more important than controlling it.

(I hope that doesn't sound to strange - I translated it from Dutch)

charyuop

Black Belt
Reaction score
This is a quote of a reply given to a student from his Sensei in an Aikido class, but I think it works perfectly for any art. The student was worried about the effectiveness of what he was studying on the mat...

"Your Aikido might not work, mine works just fine".

Chnage Aikido with any other Martial Art and it "works just fine".

CuongNhuka

Senior Master
Reaction score
My fav is "do your kata 100 times, and you begin to see your oppnent. Do your kata 1,000 times, and the poeple around you begin to see your opponent."

Next is acctuly a story. When my Sensei was training in Aikido (before Cuong Nhu) there was this knucklehead who trained with them. One of those, I got every thing figured out already, types. Well, one day they were doing some technique, and this knuckle head was doing it with my future Sensei. He was modifying it to make it ultra-realistic, or some other crap. Well, there Sensei saw this going on. "Mmm... that look like good technique. Here, you do to me!". There Sensei was this short little Japanese, a-typical Mr. Miyagi type, brocken English and all.
The result, WHA POW! The guy gets flipped on his face. "Mmm... that not work so well, here you try again!" WHA POW! Flipped on his face again. "Mmm... maybe you should do Aikido now, make own later."

The moral, if you must do something other then whats taught, make sure the other guy is aware, willing, and your Sensei is no were to be found. Or you'll find out why what your doing is wrong.

charyuop

Black Belt
Reaction score
My fav is "do your kata 100 times, and you begin to see your oppnent. Do your kata 1,000 times, and the poeple around you begin to see your opponent."

Next is acctuly a story. When my Sensei was training in Aikido (before Cuong Nhu) there was this knucklehead who trained with them. One of those, I got every thing figured out already, types. Well, one day they were doing some technique, and this knuckle head was doing it with my future Sensei. He was modifying it to make it ultra-realistic, or some other crap. Well, there Sensei saw this going on. "Mmm... that look like good technique. Here, you do to me!". There Sensei was this short little Japanese, a-typical Mr. Miyagi type, brocken English and all.
The result, WHA POW! The guy gets flipped on his face. "Mmm... that not work so well, here you try again!" WHA POW! Flipped on his face again. "Mmm... maybe you should do Aikido now, make own later."

The moral, if you must do something other then whats taught, make sure the other guy is aware, willing, and your Sensei is no were to be found. Or you'll find out why what your doing is wrong.

I love your quotation, but the story is even better hahahahaha. Would love to know who that Sensei was, try ask for his name to your Sensei.

Catalyst

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Here's some that I like:

It's not where you start it's where you finish. - Vince Lombardi

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover. - Mark Twain

Tell me and I will forget. Show me and I will remember. Involve me and I will understand. - Confucius

The wealth of a man is not measured by the size of the estate he leaves to his heirs, but by the number of people who mourn his passing. - Catalyst

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
These are really cliche, but you asked for it;

It is not the destination, but the journey

A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step

Black belt is not the end, but the beginning

Practice doesn't make perfect, practice makes permanent. Only perfect practice makes perfect.

Your best weapon is your mind
We say, "Black Belt is not a destination".
Sean

zDom

Senior Master
Reaction score
"Aim small, miss small." (U.S. Navy?)

"Don't cheat yourself!" (said by Grandmaster Bong Yul Shin over and over again to encourage students not to give up and stop while doing non-stop calisthenics for over an hour)

"Keep pushing!" (a favorite encourgement by G/M Lee H. Park)

"I was thinking about doing martial arts ..." (said by THOUSANDS of wanna-be martial artists who I never saw again after hearing this phrase from them)

"I was thinking about coming back ..." (said by HUNDREDS of has-been martial artists who I never saw again after hearing this phrase from them)

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
"Aim small, miss small." (U.S. Navy?)

"Don't cheat yourself!" (said by Grandmaster Bong Yul Shin over and over again to encourage students not to give up and stop while doing non-stop calisthenics for over an hour)

"Keep pushing!" (a favorite encourgement by G/M Lee H. Park)

"I was thinking about doing martial arts ..." (said by THOUSANDS of wanna-be martial artists who I never saw again after hearing this phrase from them)

"I was thinking about coming back ..." (said by HUNDREDS of has-been martial artists who I never saw again after hearing this phrase from them)
You are missing the "But..."

OP
T

TheOriginalName

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Don't know where i heard this one but as a beginner it's one i latched onto ...

All belts take skill, training and time to earn but only white takes courage - the courage to start.

Do or do not - there is no try naturally from out favourite little green alien!!

DavidCC

Master of Arts
Reaction score
(in reference to pressure-point trikes)
"that won't leave a mark, but it will make an impression"

Hawke

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
INSTRUCTIONS FOR LIFE by the Dali Lama

1. Take into account that great love and great achievements involve great risk.
2. When you lose, don't lose the lesson.
3. Follow the three R&#8217;s:

Respect for self
Respect for others and
Responsibility for all your actions.

4. Remember that not getting what you want is sometimes a wonderful stroke of luck.
5. Learn the rules so you know how to break them properly.
6. Don't let a little dispute injure a great friendship.
7. When you realize you've made a mistake, take immediate steps to correct it.
8. Spend some time alone every day.
9. Open your arms to change, but don't let go of your values.
10. Remember that silence is sometimes the best answer.
11. Live a good, honorable life. Then when you get older and think back, you'll be able to enjoy it a second time.
12. A loving atmosphere in your home is the foundation for your life.
13. In disagreements with loved ones deal only with the current situation. Don't bring up the past.
14. Share your knowledge. It's a way to achieve immortality.
15. Be gentle with the earth.
16. Once a year, go someplace you've never been before.
17. Remember that the best relationship is one in which your love for each other exceeds your need for each other.
18. Judge your success by what you had to give up in order to get it.
19. Approach love and cooking with reckless abandon.

Callandor

Green Belt
Reaction score
There's an implied unwritten part:
Speed will get you nowhere (near your destination)
if you're headed the wrong direction.

I wish that were true...

if your headed in the wrong direction, your going to be THAT FAR in the wrong direction when you realize your mistake. ;)

Yup, and that distance is directly related to your speed.

CHeeRS :cheers:

Latest Discussions