Those little sayings that hit home

Ella

<B>Banned User - Multiple Accounts / Previously Ba
Reaction score
So,

Speed is useless if your going in the wrong direction?

Darth F.Takeda

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Waiting weapon, attacking mind. Koryu

One mind, any weapon. MCMAP slogan

Close, Enter, kill! -Military adage, but also applies to 1 on 1 conflict.

Speed Surprise, Violence of action = Suprise! - SAS

Slow is smooth, smooth becomes fast. -

Who Dares, Wins!- SAS

Molon Labe - Come and get it. - King Leoniedis, Spartan king

My word of life are true, because my word of Death is true.- Outlaw Jossie Whales

RITFencing

Orange Belt
Reaction score
"Quit yammering and get back to *expletive deleted*ing work."

Something along those lines has almost always been helpful to me, both when hearing it and when saying it. :)

Em MacIntosh

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Perspective is everything.

It is not enough to know, one must apply. It is not enough to will, one must do.

Getting what you desire and not getting what you desire can both be dissapointing.

To give your sheep a large meadow to graze in is the best way to control them.

It is foolish to tie your laces in the rice field or adjust your hat under the plum tree lest the owner accuse you of stealing his property.

Nothing is harder than armed struggle.

With a worm who does not survive the winter snow, one cannot discuss the spring. With a frog who never leaves the well, one cannot discuss the ocean. With a poor man, one cannot discuss much beyond the next meal

Christina05

Green Belt
Reaction score
"There Is no try only do" Yoda
"You either do karate or you Don't. Its like walking in the middle of the street sooner or later you get hit." Similar to the explination in karate kid if that makes any sense.

tradrockrat

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
"No one nation has a monopoly on sunlight. No one system has a monopoly on truth." U Ba Than Gyi

"I only want perfection. Excellence will be tolerated until then." Master Teacher Jon Collins

"The only difference between ignorance and stupidity is how many times I have to tell you to keep your hands up!" Master Teacher Jon Collins

"Don't tell me you are giving your best. That's what your parents want to hear. But I know that your best is THE BEST, so I want to hear you say you are BEING the best." MT Jon Collins

"You want the perfect kick? Make yourself perfect and kick naturally." Shamelessly ripped out of Zen teaching by me.

Last Fearner

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
"I was thinking about doing martial arts ..." (said by THOUSANDS of wanna-be martial artists who I never saw again after hearing this phrase from them)
:lol:

"I was thinking about coming back ..." (said by HUNDREDS of has-been martial artists who I never saw again after hearing this phrase from them)
:lfao:

These are hysterical! I have been around in the Martial Art long enough to hear both of those said in earnest many, many times!

pstarr

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
"A gem is not polished without rubbing,
nor a man perfected without trials."
-Old Japanese Saying

One of my favorites

Cirdan

Senior Master
Reaction score
"An empty vessel makes the most noise"

"Simplicity is more desireable in the end"

Ping898

Senior Master
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
"Once is luck, twice is improvement"

Em MacIntosh

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
all by Uppaluri Gopala Krishnamurti
  • "The moment you repeat that which is not yours, you have become the follower of somebody."
  • "If books and talks could change people, this world would become a paradise."
  • "If you want really to learn something, school is the last place to go."
  • "Once you are relieved of the burden of culture, any potential will be exposed. What stands in the way is the culture, all the teachers and what they have taught."
  • "When the movement in the direction of becoming something other than what you are isn't there any more, you are not in conflict with yourself."
  • "I am not out to liberate anybody. You have to liberate yourself, and you are unable to do that. What I have to say will not do it. I am only interested in describing this state, in clearing away the occultation and mystification in which those people in the 'holy business' have shrouded the whole thing. Maybe I can convince you not to waste a lot of time and energy, looking for a state which does not exist except in your imagination."
  • But unfortunately, in the market place, we have many claimants who say that they are enlightened, and they are in turn out to enlighten everybody. There is a market for that kind of thing. The demand and supply principle is responsible for that. But actually an enlightened man or a free man, if there is one, is not interested in freeing or enlightening anybody. This is because he has no way of knowing that he is a free man, that he is an enlightened man. It is not something that can be shared with somebody, because it is not in the area of experience at all."
  • "Your minds pose as much a threat to the future of mankind as the nuclear weapons. The hydrogen bomb has its origin in the jawbone of an ***. The caveman used it to kill his neighbor. Here your civilized man is doing what the caveman did but you do it for the `good of mankind.' Those who still hold that right is all on their side and that their eternal good will burn away the evil of others are the real enemies of mankind."
  • "To be an individual and to be yourself you don't have to do a thing. Culture demands that you should be something other than what you are. What a tremendous amount of energy -- the will, the effort -- we waste trying to become that! If that energy is released, what is it that we can't do? How simple it would be for every one of us to live in this world!"
  • "All learning, all teaching is for destructive purposes. You learn about the laws of nature to control and dominate your neighbor. It's a game of one-upmanship. I'm not saying anything against it. I'm just saying that's the way it is. All learning, all teachings are 'war games'. Winning all the time is all that you are interested in. Charity is the filthiest invention of the human mind: first you steal what belongs to everyone; then you use the policeman and the atom bomb to protect it. You give charity to prevent the have-nots from rebelling against you. It also makes you feel less guilty. All do-gooders feel 'high' when they do good."
  • "On one occasion, when I asserted with great vehemence that whatever happened to me had happened despite everything, despite my visit to Ramana Maharshi, despite my contacts with J. Krishnamurti and my personal conversations with him, and despite all the things that were expected of somebody who wanted to be an enlightened man, one friend in the audience said, 'We cannot accept your statement of "despite"....' He said that my statements were irrelevant. 'The problem is very simple,' he said. 'If we accept what you are saying, namely, that whatever has happened to you has happened regardless of what you did, and that everything you did was irrelevant, we lose the only hope that we have in you. We still feel that although we have lost faith in them all, we cannot lose faith in you.' I told him that that is the one thing that is standing there in him which makes it impossible for him to free himself from whatever he is trying to free himself from, because he has replaced one thing with another. That is all that we can do. One illusion is replaced by another illusion and one teacher is replaced by another teacher."
  • "I have no particular message for mankind, except to say that all holy systems for obtaining enlightenment are nonsense and that all talk of arriving at a psychological mutation through awareness is rubbish. Psychological mutation is impossible. The natural state can happen only through biological mutation."
  • "I can never sit on a platform and talk. It is too artificial. It is a waste of time to sit and discuss things in hypothetical or abstract terms. An angry man does not sit and talk and converse pleasantly about anger; he is too angry. So don't tell me that you are in crisis, that you are angry. Why talk of anger? You live and die in the hope that someday, somehow, you will no longer be angry. You are burdened with hope, and if this life seems hopeless, you invent the next life. There are no lives to come."
  • "As long as you think you have something to renounce, you are lost. Not to think of money and the necessities of life is an illness. It is a perversion to deny yourself the basic needs of life. You think that through a self-imposed asceticism you will increase your awareness and then be able to use that awareness to be happy. No chance. You will be peaceful when all your ideas about awareness are dropped and you begin to function like a computer. You must be a machine, function automatically in this world, never questioning your actions before, during, or after they occur."
  • "There is no such thing as truth. The only thing that is actually there is your "logically" ascertained premise, which you call "truth"."

Last Fearner

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
all by Uppaluri Gopala Krishnamurti

I don't mean any disrespect to you, MacIntosh, for posting these quotes, but I perceive the sayings and philosophies, and life realizations of this U G Krishnamurti as the ramblings of a bitter, resentful, and un-enlightened individual.

I had not heard of this person, but just the quotes you presented showed me someone who was bitter toward his own life's experience, having reached conclusions based on his own failures, and began peddling a crock of B.S. to whomever would listen by denouncing all others who claim to have attained the enlightenment that he admittedly failed to find, thus he concluded it does not exist.

There are indeed frauds a charlatans in the world, but U G seems to lump all gurus and enlightened individuals into one category of false prophets. I did a little more reading about U G here:

http://www.mindgazer.org/wiki/index.php?title=U.G._Krishnamurti

This quote was of particular interest (my emphasis added):

"People call me an 'enlightened man' -- I detest that term -- they can't find any other word to describe the way I am functioning. At the same time, I point out that there is no such thing as enlightenment at all. I say that because all my life I've searched and wanted to be an enlightened man, and I discovered that there is no such thing as enlightenment at all, and so the question whether a particular person is enlightened or not doesn't arise. I don't give a hoot for a sixth-century-BC Buddha, let alone all the other claimants we have in our midst. They are a bunch of exploiters, thriving on the gullibility of the people. There is no power outside of man. Man has created God out of fear. So the problem is fear and not God."

U G has apparently done some psychological introspection in his lifetime and discovered many truths about human nature, and the nature of the universe which is commonly written about by other experts, but then he denounces that there is any truth. I can grasp the intent of his philosophical ramblings, but they are nothing new, and he is far from accurate in many of his bold statements of "there is no such thing" as this or that - it doesn't exist, and "you cannot" do this or that, and "this is the reason" people do this or that, but it is useless because everything is a fraud and an illusion.

I am a fan of Richard Bach, and his book ILLUSIONS, and many times I quote sayings which resemble these philosophies, but U G seems to have lost all touch with reality, and all hope for anything positive in his own life, thus began spewing suggestions of total disregard for school, teachers, authority, religion, God, Spirituality, philosophy, authority figures, rules, laws, society, or anything else that is part of the human experience.

Needless to say, I was not impressed with much of what he had to say. Sorry for the trip down a side path, but I think the source of quotes, and the validity of their meaning are more important than repeating them willy-nilly. I don't mean to challenge anyone, or start an argument, but I am just sharing my interpretation of Uppaluri Gopala Krishnamurti's non-teaching. :)

CM D. J. Eisenhart

Em MacIntosh

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Human is the best we can be. I appreciate your input and agree with you. I think he is bitter as well. I just tend to agree with him a lot. I see his frustration being quite valid. How many people pretend so as not to feel they've wasted their time? How many pass this information on to others? Not all of us for sure, but integrity is hard to come by these days. "Soke" are a good example. Though I agree with much of what he said, I follow my own philosophy, as do you. I thought some might hit home. Thanks again.

zDom

Senior Master
Reaction score
Here's two more:

The fool says in his heart, “There is no God.” — King David, Psalm 14:1

"On any given day, given the right situation, anybody can beat anybody in a fight" — paraphrase of something said by Mike Morton, my instructor

Em MacIntosh

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
"Is life so dear or peace so sweet as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take, but as for me, give me liberty, or give me death!"
-Patrick Henry

p.s. I'm not christian

jdinca

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
"Practice does not make perfect, perfect practice makes perfect."

"Wisdom is the willingness to learn from experience."

"I'd rather live on my knees than die on my feet."

Uh, wait a minute. I'm not so sure about that last one...

Latest Discussions