This si something I miss

Manny

Senior Master
Reaction score
Here you have a video from facebook is about some techs of shotokan karate I hope you can see this video that I liked alot. Saddly this kind of training is a NO-NO inside my dojang and inside of many dojangs in my coutry, we are focus only in WTF/Olimpic TKD.

When I see this kind of videos I ask myself what I am doing inside TKD? and believe me sometimes I don't have a clear answer.

Manny.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=689060781147080&fref=nf

Michael89

Orange Belt
Reaction score
we use this kind of training under one step sparring at my grandmaster's dojang only because he trained in Shudokan Karate under Dr. Kye Byoung Yoon.

Gnarlie

Master of Arts
Reaction score
It's always been part of my training and still is. Depends on the Dojang though.

Balrog

Master of Arts
Reaction score
The foundation of martial arts training of any kind is self-defense. We can do floor drills and bag punching all day long, but sometimes you just have to set up some real-life scenarios and practice the self-defense aspects. We do the chair training drills every once in a while and the students love them.

Gwai Lo Dan

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Manny, I am a bit of a fan of Naka Tatsuya. I really liked the film Kuro Obi. Check it out if you haven't seen it. The link is a version with spanish subtitles.

Last edited by a moderator:

RTKDCMB

Senior Master
Reaction score
One step sparring is a reasonably large part of our training, the chair training is something we do every now and then, as well as some sparring in the chair with the person standing doing most of the attacking.

Earl Weiss

Senior Master
Reaction score
Here you have a video from facebook is about some techs of shotokan karate I hope you can see this video that I liked alot. Saddly this kind of training is a NO-NO inside my dojang and inside of many dojangs in my coutry, we are focus only in WTF/Olimpic TKD.

When I see this kind of videos I ask myself what I am doing inside TKD? and believe me sometimes I don't have a clear answer.

Manny.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=689060781147080&fref=nf

Why is it a "No No". Perhaps you and somelike minded students could get together for private sesions and do this?

Archtkd

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Manny: Given the litany of complaints you make on several threads, shoudn't you be looking for another dojang? I don't know what Kukki taekwondo schools in your town are doing, but one-step sparring is still a large part of training in many taekwondo dojangs here (of many styes including Kukkiwon) and a requirement in most belt tests.

OP
Manny

Manny

Senior Master
Reaction score
Manny, I am a bit of a fan of Naka Tatsuya. I really liked the film Kuro Obi. Check it out if you haven't seen it. The link is a version with spanish subtitles.

Exelent movie KURO OBI.

Manny

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
Manny

Manny

Senior Master
Reaction score
Why is it a "No No". Perhaps you and somelike minded students could get together for private sesions and do this?

Why is a NO-NO? well the dojang is kidie oriented, the dojang does not have full grown men, only kids, teens and some moms, we see one steps once in a while a few days before kups test. The class consit of kicking and kickcing a kicking drills poomsae and once a week WTF sparring and that's all. Now my master has gone and leave another sambonim I don't see this could change, that's why I am thinking going back to kenpo karate or perhaps shotokan karate.

Manny

Gnarlie

Master of Arts
Reaction score

Why is a NO-NO? well the dojang is kidie oriented, the dojang does not have full grown men, only kids, teens and some moms, we see one steps once in a while a few days before kups test. The class consit of kicking and kickcing a kicking drills poomsae and once a week WTF sparring and that's all. Now my master has gone and leave another sambonim I don't see this could change, that's why I am thinking going back to kenpo karate or perhaps shotokan karate.

Manny
Start your own dojang? Adults only, focused on the SD aspects if the art. If not, set up a saturday morning class for adults at your existing dojang.

Find a high dan rank in your country who is willing to support you and have at it.

Latest Discussions