TKD my way

Manny

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hello everyone, some time afther my last visit here, I am fine, my family is very well only my grandma is very sick but she's 94 maybe it's her time to leave and we have to be prepared to this.

Talkin about TKD I'm still teaching and even I am not young anymore and my TKD moves are a little restricted because of agin and flexibilty issues, I still enojoy teaching TKD my way. I must say I have few students all are adult not teens or children so my classes are focus on the following:

1.-Kicks.-I emphatize on regular or basic kicks, trying to ask my pupils to focus in the righ way to trow a kick, here we are talking about: front kick, round kick, round house kick, side kick, back kick and some spining kicks like the spining hook kick. As you may see my kick arsenal is reduced but I think is enough for self defense/street pourposes. forget abou fancier kicks like tornado kicks, jumping/spining kicks and that kind of flamboyant kicks, why? because I don't have the time and my body does not allows me to do clean kicks this way, so I stick with the basics here.

2.-Technike.-Hand techs, blocks/parries, stances,trows, sweeps,etc,etc.

3.-Poomsae.-There is the core of TKD period! I try to techa poomsae the best I can stressing in the technike, very simple, one have to do the poomsae the best one can and there is always ways to imporove it.

4.-Self defense.-This is a must for me and I try to encourage my students to learn the best aplications I can teach them, here I go from very simple moves or thechs to a more complicate ones but adhering the KISS principle. Forget aboy fancy moves and so complicated moves that are not easy to learn or perform.

5.-Saprring.- Light contact and full contact. Light contact without safety gear (protection), full contact with all the safety gear recomended by WTF rule set.

I go to dojang two nights per week and when time allow one more night.

As you may see, the same old Manny.

Sabonim wants to have a chat with me because he wants me to do my third dan test/examination maybe on july.

Manny

sfs982000

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Sounds like a pretty solid approach to me, especially with the concentration on basic techniques and self defense. I wish that more instructors taught that way, but it seems like alot of instructors in my area tend to focus more on tournament competition and XMA. My particular school also does tournament prep and XMA but that is certainly not the main focus of the training.

seasoned

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
We missed you manny it is good to see you back......

Latest Discussions