Thinking of the punch in a slightly different way.

mook jong man

Senior Master
Reaction score
When I first started Wing Chun we were told to drive the elbows forward when punching.
Quite a few years later my Sifu introduced the concept of just expanding the angle of the arm , which I could sort of understand but didn't fully get it.

I believe this concept was there all along but somehow it got lost in translation on the way from Hong Kong to Australia , in those days there was no Youtube and we sort of had to depend on people bringing back snippets of info from their Hong Kong training trips with Sigung.

It's not until I saw this video which was a bit of a revelation , that I could fully appreciate the concept of raising up the elbow like a car Jack , to my mind it seems to produce more power than just thinking of driving the elbows forward.

Maybe it is because you tend to stay more relaxed , because you are not thinking of opposing anything , you are just raising your elbow up.

The second video is on the importance of relaxing and using a straight line when pivoting and striking.
scissor_jack.jpg

[video=youtube_share;EIA8MQjGRZ8]http://youtu.be/EIA8MQjGRZ8[/video]

[video=youtube_share;5uIQ46ow7Nk]http://youtu.be/5uIQ46ow7Nk[/video]

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Makes sence because you are using a lever.

600.jpg

KPM

Senior Master
Reaction score
Thanks for videos! I see this as just good biomechanics. By emphasizing the straightening of the elbow and keeping things in a straight line, you eliminate the "downward arc of the fist" the creeps into a lot of people's punching.

ST1Doppelganger

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Thanks for posting the videos MJMan I always enjoy a good video from a GM seminar and really enjoyed how the atmosphere of the seminar was relaxed just like his punch.

Last edited:
OP
mook jong man

mook jong man

Senior Master
Reaction score
Thanks for posting the videos MJMan I always enjoy a good video from a GM seminar and really enjoyed how the atmosphere of the seminar was relaxed just like his punch.

I think it's just a normal class not a seminar , he's pretty much semi retired now.
Hasn't accepted any new students now for about five years.

Those premises look pretty new , before that his school was in his apartment , he used to teach every night for about six hours and only stop for half an hour to have dinner with his family and watch tv while all his students were around them doing chi sau.

ST1Doppelganger

Brown Belt
Reaction score
I think it's just a normal class not a seminar , he's pretty much semi retired now.
Hasn't accepted any new students now for about five years.

Those premises look pretty new , before that his school was in his apartment , he used to teach every night for about six hours and only stop for half an hour to have dinner with his family and watch tv while all his students were around them doing chi sau.

Ok that makes since he seems like a very humble and good instructor.