Testing Forward Force

mook jong man

Senior Master
Reaction score
This is one you can do if you are new and only just starting to do single sticking hands or if you've been doing sticking hands for 20 years . Never think that you are too good to go back and do single sticking hands .

This exercise tests that elusive quality in our arms that we are trying to cultivate called forward force or springy force . This force when trained correctly enables your strikes to spring forward automatically when there is no counterforce , with no conscious thought from you .

You can see in a fight that this is a useful skill to have when fractions of a second count , you can't be standing around thinking " Oh I think I see a gap through there , maybe I should hit through " . With forward force this hitting through the gap will happen automatically or at least it should.
  • Get in position for single sticking hands , one partner in Tan Sau and the other in Fook Sau.
  • Fook on top of Tan keeping wrist contact.
  • Both people are exerting slight forward force from the elbow , which equalises each others force.
  • Don't do what I did when I first started and use a lot of muscle , its counter productive and you wear yourself out .
  • Just use a very relaxed slight forward pressure , but not so relaxed that your angles collapse.
  • This a static exercise so dont go rolling into Bong or raising the Fook. Just keep in position Tan and Fook.
  • Both people project their force from the elbow to the centreline , pick a point on your partners chest and concentrate to that point.
  • At random times the nominated partner will take their arm away quickly at random , what should happen is that the other partners hands will spring forward and strike the chest in either a punch or palm strike .
  • Make sure both people have a go at doing it from Tan and Fook.
  • After that practice it from the Bong Sau position , this is a bit more difficult because you have to bring the elbow in as you begin to strike.
  • When both partners are happy that their hands spring forward with relaxed forward force on loss of contact.
  • They can then start doing single sticking hands as per usual in the dynamic way , but still nominate one person to take the arm away and the other to spring forward.
  • People who are at double sticking hands standard should be doing this in normal chi sau with the nominated partner taking one or both hands away at random .
  • Some people may find that their hands will spring forward automatically but not exactly going precisely to the centreline of their partners chest.
  • This is a problem with them exerting uneven force along their forearm . I know an exercise that can help with this and I will explain it at a later date.