Wing vs. Weng

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Really? And you say cling like that? I don't think that's neutral SAE. Sounds very strange to me. All words ending in -ing are pronounced with a long < e > as in sing where I'm from; Midwest, non-regional accent. General American usually refers to relatively unmarked speech from the Midwest.

My pronunciation is probably pretty close to the US version on the audio below:

cling Pronunciation in English

The UK version sounds more like a long e to me.

BTW there are a lot of funny accents in parts of the Midwest. Once the home of "General American English" (and where a lot of the folks who settled the Southwest came from) but now it's the site of some weird developments, like that Northern Cities Vowel Shift. I don't get that at all!

Midwestern accent - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Last edited:

LFJ

Senior Master
Reaction score
Yeah, that's why I said non-regional. There are indeed some regional accents in the Midwest around the Great Lakes, and they all sound funny to me too. Nasally. :inpain:

ivanr

White Belt
Reaction score
hi KPM,
tryed to send you private message, but it is not working here, no idea why. I am sorry, i am not giving any more any names to anyone after bad experience with some individums from germany, who always ask for informations and contacts and then are doing **** here, etc. My friends are students of Pak Cheung and Taam Hou Chuen (my sigung) and one siu lam wing chun family from Qingyuan and Saichiu. It is nothing personaly against you, please do not take it like that.

Last edited:

ivanr

White Belt
Reaction score
I am sorry, i am not giving any more any names to anyone after bad experience with some individums from germany, who always ask for informations and contacts and then are doing **** here, etc..

ps - deleted by editing, sorry, should be - here and back in europe, etc...

that is my tiping on mobile phone :-(

Latest Discussions