Thinking of opening a small MA training centre

samurai69

Blue Belt
Reaction score
As the title says, i am thinking of opening a dedicated martial arts centre (not too big).

I will continue to run my Aikido school from there 2 or 3 times per week and run regular RBSD courses there too (one day per week) and maybe an advanced self defence class one day per week

The rest of the time i will open it to other instructors (various styles) and personal MA sessions. If there is enough space i will install a small gym and run some of my PersonalTraining business from there too

equipment will consist of mats, various bags (top/bottom, speedball, haevy etc), Thai and focus pads (i also trained in muay thai) and grappling dummies

how does this sound?

what are the pitfalls?

How should i base the fees (monthly membership - pay as you go etc)?

I will also probably run my massage business from the same site (dependant on space)

Any suggestions, hints etc greatly appreciated

Sin

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
So many questions on how to get the school going...I suggest you ask your instructors on how they got started, and go to your local library, and see if there are any books on how to get started.

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
samurai69 said:
As the title says, i am thinking of opening a dedicated martial arts centre (not too big).

I will continue to run my Aikido school from there 2 or 3 times per week and run regular RBSD courses there too (one day per week) and maybe an advanced self defence class one day per week

The rest of the time i will open it to other instructors (various styles) and personal MA sessions. If there is enough space i will install a small gym and run some of my PersonalTraining business from there too

equipment will consist of mats, various bags (top/bottom, speedball, haevy etc), Thai and focus pads (i also trained in muay thai) and grappling dummies

how does this sound?

what are the pitfalls?

How should i base the fees (monthly membership - pay as you go etc)?

I will also probably run my massage business from the same site (dependant on space)

Any suggestions, hints etc greatly appreciated

I agree with Sin..ask your inst. for some advice. I'm sure they'll be happy to assist you.

As for your questions...it sounds like you have some great plans in the works. As for the pitfalls...that can fall under many things, one being that the business does not do well, and you end up having to close down. Memberships can be done on a month to month basis, 6 mos., a year, contracts, and no contracts.

Mike

Sin

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
legal bable pretty much, you need to write out everything you want to do and how your gonna do it, and then from there you need to show your lawyer....

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
First and foremost are you opening a school for profits, is this going to be your only source of income. Are you just doing it as a secondary income or are you doing it to help keep childern of the streets.
Do you want to train adult, kids, familys. Are you going to do it more for a sport aspect or a ARrt aspect.
Are you trying to do mainly self defense or as a get in shape type class.
Once you have the idea of what type of school you need to figure out how uch space you wil need to acomplish your goals. Leases are a funny thing for alot of MA schools.
Terry

karatekid1975

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
With our sister schools, my instructor helped them all get started. So, I agree with asking your instructor. See what he/she things, and if he/she is willing to help.

kroh

Brown Belt
Reaction score
It sounds like a pretty cool thing (and to have it open to other instructors would be cool too). Might I suggest that you have more than one training area so that more than one class can go on at a time. This would maximize what can be taught while at the same time increasing the number of arts that can realisticly function at any given time (Otherwise some calsses wouldn't get to hit the floor untill nine at night. I have a friend in that situation right now where his class doesn't get to go on utill then and goes until eleven. Silly colleges).

Regards,
Walt

OP
samurai69

samurai69

Blue Belt
Reaction score
kroh said:
It sounds like a pretty cool thing (and to have it open to other instructors would be cool too). Might I suggest that you have more than one training area so that more than one class can go on at a time. This would maximize what can be taught while at the same time increasing the number of arts that can realisticly function at any given time (Otherwise some calsses wouldn't get to hit the floor untill nine at night. I have a friend in that situation right now where his class doesn't get to go on utill then and goes until eleven. Silly colleges).

Regards,
Walt

sounds like a good idea, if there was enough space, would have a room with mats and a room without

Grenadier

Sr. Grandmaster
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
samurai69 said:
sounds like a good idea, if there was enough space, would have a room with mats and a room without

Or, you could have a room without the mats, and then put down the mats when needed. With several students helping, it can be a quick assembly / disassembly process, regardless of whether you use the gym mats or the jigsaw puzzle mats.

Latest Discussions