Practice Space

mgotangsoodo

White Belt
Reaction score
Excuse me if this question has been asked before, I did a simple search and couldn't find what I was looking for.

I live in a small house with very little room for practice and winter is setting in so outdoor practice is becoming hard to bear. I would like to solicit some ideas of places to look for practice space, I would like the space mainly to practice hyung (forms/kata, hands/feet only, no extra weapons). My school/club meets 20-30 mins away, by car, and only meets on Mondays and Fridays for a total of two and a half hours; we don't have any dedicated space. I was considering contacting other martial arts schools closer to my home to see if they had open studio time but that seems like a weird request to ask of a business I'm not patronizing, although I *am* willing to pay for use of their facility. Other possibilities I've thought of are asking the local rec center if they allowed use of the exercise rooms between classes, or seeing if there was a yoga or dance studio that would let me use their space.

Another thought I had was to organize a martial arts club/co-op and collectively rent space for a few hours a week. This is probably way more effort than I'm willing to put into this at the moment though. (recruitment, insurance, liability, administration, etc...)

I'm really early in this process so I haven't contacted anyone yet, I'm just trying to gather some input. The main concern I have about using someone else's space is with regards to liability. I'm guessing that some places wouldn't be willing to take on the added risk of letting joe schmo martial artist use their space a few hours a week.

If all else fails, how else do people practice during the winter with little space? Do you break the forms down into small segments and practice in isolation? Right now, I don't have the space to do full effort movements (kicks/strikes) so I mostly go through the motions in my basement. My main problem with this is that we're only doing one form a week in class (break it down and scrutinize the execution) and I don't get a chance to do many of the forms (20+) from start to finish, with full intent.

Anyway, I'd love to hear suggestions. I'm going to start with asking the local rec center if they allowed people to use their exercise rooms between classes since that seems like the easiest place to start.

Kickboxer101

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Just use what you have. I have barely any room in my front room but I make do. Sure I cant do my form perfectly with the space but if I get to close to something I just shuffle back. Sure it's not perfect but its better than nothing

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
First, not to sound all macho or anything, but when the weather is bad, I practice in it. Builds character.

However, your ideas are good.

You can ask other martial arts schools. It's not uncommon at all. Offer to provide a needed service in trade, like cleaning the mats or the mirrors. Everybody hates to clean the dojo.

The local community center can be good as you mentioned. Don't be surprised to be asked to teach a class.

Also try local churches. They usually have a basement with open spaces, a gymnasium, etc. Again, it's not that unusual for people to make such requests.

Best of luck!

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Excuse me if this question has been asked before, I did a simple search and couldn't find what I was looking for.

I live in a small house with very little room for practice and winter is setting in so outdoor practice is becoming hard to bear. I would like to solicit some ideas of places to look for practice space, I would like the space mainly to practice hyung (forms/kata, hands/feet only, no extra weapons). My school/club meets 20-30 mins away, by car, and only meets on Mondays and Fridays for a total of two and a half hours; we don't have any dedicated space. I was considering contacting other martial arts schools closer to my home to see if they had open studio time but that seems like a weird request to ask of a business I'm not patronizing, although I *am* willing to pay for use of their facility. Other possibilities I've thought of are asking the local rec center if they allowed use of the exercise rooms between classes, or seeing if there was a yoga or dance studio that would let me use their space.

Another thought I had was to organize a martial arts club/co-op and collectively rent space for a few hours a week. This is probably way more effort than I'm willing to put into this at the moment though. (recruitment, insurance, liability, administration, etc...)

I'm really early in this process so I haven't contacted anyone yet, I'm just trying to gather some input. The main concern I have about using someone else's space is with regards to liability. I'm guessing that some places wouldn't be willing to take on the added risk of letting joe schmo martial artist use their space a few hours a week.

If all else fails, how else do people practice during the winter with little space? Do you break the forms down into small segments and practice in isolation? Right now, I don't have the space to do full effort movements (kicks/strikes) so I mostly go through the motions in my basement. My main problem with this is that we're only doing one form a week in class (break it down and scrutinize the execution) and I don't get a chance to do many of the forms (20+) from start to finish, with full intent.

Anyway, I'd love to hear suggestions. I'm going to start with asking the local rec center if they allowed people to use their exercise rooms between classes since that seems like the easiest place to start.
Local activity/rec centers often have spaces you could use during un-reserved times. Nearly any YMCA will have spaces that would be appropriate, if you are a member there (possibly the same for most fitness centers). You might occasionally have an audience if it's an open room, but that's not a big deal.

oaktree

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I use to change some of the form to fit a higher space if you can turn your body in any direction it is enough space to do the form, I do this with my taijiquan form.

Latest Discussions