MA on your resume?

Laurentkd

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I disagree.
I have put it on my resume and have gotten my last two jobs because of it.
The first one was an industrial plant. I put it on there as a filler and the HR lady was fascinated by it. It was all she wanted to talk about and I got the job. Later, I found out that the ma stuff made me stand out and showed that I was a dedicated person.
For my job at the middle school, it showed that I can teach a room of kids.

AoG

I have a similar experience, but mine was when I was applying for college. As Andrew said, I didn't focus on my rank, but rather how much volunteer time I have spent teaching, how I have organized large events, taught classes for schools, church, etc for community service, and so on. When I went in for my interview for a full ride scholarship, my martial arts experience was all they wanted to talk to (to the point that I tried to also bring up my athletic and musical involvement in high school as I was afraid I would end up looking one dimensional). They must have liked it though because I did get the scholarship.

Other than I have only applied for one "adult" job (since my MA instructor already knew who I was!) and that was for substitute teaching. I included it as how many years I have instructed kids so that it would show my teaching experience with children K-12. Don't know if it made a big difference, but I thought that it was experience with teaching kids that others may not have so why not.
As others have said, I would try to include it in a way that applies to the job you are applying for, either by showing leadership, organizational abilities, etc. rather than just listing the fact that you are in the martial arts.

Ninjamom

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I included it with my last ap, because the teaching experience, physical fitness, and volunteer aspects were all critical requirements for the job.

I'd like to add one more thing to the discussion: I own my own business, and more often than not, I'm the one on the other side of the interview desk. In my mind, martial arts experience, if accompanied by some level of rank/achievment, is always a plus, mostly for these reasons:
....It shows ability to commit to a goal and follow through. It shows self control and self discipline. ...it shows that you can LEAD.
Amen to that, Brother MB!

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
My son listed his black belt and wrote essays on it for college--a show of growth and achievement.

Phoenix44

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Unless you're applying for a non-martial arts job in a narrow field in which you already have vast experience--for example, an accountant with 15 years experience in accounting--yes, I would certainly list your MA business. Why wouldn't you?

It's a job that requires skill and determination. Plus, if it's your own business, that also shows entrepreneurial and financial capability. And your martial ability might be considered a plus in many fields.

YoungMan

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
In fact, our Grandmaster encourages black belts in the organization to list their rank on applications and resumes. He feels that Dan rank, especially higher Dan rank, is something to be proud of and should listed alongside our other accomplishments.

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I'm with Drac and Terry on this one, I don't like to advertise what I do, unless it's a job requirement.

I once listed my MA experience on an application for a bouncer position and was not hired, they feared a lawsuit if I used it on a customer...They lasted less than a year, too many fights and no security...

Balrog

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I disagree.
I have put it on my resume and have gotten my last two jobs because of it.
The first one was an industrial plant. I put it on there as a filler and the HR lady was fascinated by it. It was all she wanted to talk about and I got the job. Later, I found out that the ma stuff made me stand out and showed that I was a dedicated person.

Same here. I have it on my resume and people have been fascinated by it.

I also take that advantage to let them know right up front that there will be times when I will be out of town for certain events. They appreciate the heads-up and work with me on taking the time off.

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
In fact, our Grandmaster encourages black belts in the organization to list their rank on applications and resumes. He feels that Dan rank, especially higher Dan rank, is something to be proud of and should listed alongside our other accomplishments.
Of course, that also serves as marketing for his organization... But that may just be my cynicism coming to the front.

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
As a school teacher who also teaches TKD, I put my MA instructing experience on my resume, for the same reason Lauren did - in fact, I was teaching TKD before I got my teaching certificate, and the program I was in required that you document at least 50 hours working with school-age kids in groups of 5 or larger (specifically excluded daycare) as one of the application requirements, and my time as an instructor was what I listed.

For other jobs, where and how - and if - you list it will depend on how relevant your experience is to the job. But lots of employers are looking for employees who have integrity, perseverance, the ability to work individually and in groups, and with a large variety of people - and these characteristics are prevalent among martial artists, which makes listing your MA experiences, with an emphasis on the characteristics a particular employer is looking for, highly relevant to many potential jobs.

Guardian

Black Belt
Reaction score
I run a small MA program & it's very part time. I need a full time job to put food on the table.

For all of those for whom teaching MA is a part time thing & you have a full time job, do you add your part time MA teaching &/or school in your resume? Why or why not?

I can see reasons for both: One the hand.... You run a small business & that shows that you're willing to work at something you feel passionate about....on the other hand, some employers may see it as you just "spending too much time on your hobby" (despite the fact that it's a business) that some may feel will take you away from their business.

What have you done & what have your experiences been? What would recommend?

Depends on what job you apply for, if it's in security or law enforcement, then you might want to. If it's a job in sales or some other type of office/executive type of environment, you might not want to. Alot of thinking would have to go into that in my view.