Most powerful style?

A

AlwaysTraining

Is there a style in existence that is known for having the most powerful techniques? Or known for being power oriented?

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Powerful? Kyokushinkai Karate has this reputation, for example; boxing, Muay Thai, and others could well say the same,

OP
T

TheBattousai

If you mean power oriented style, krav maga is one too. But any single known technique can be given any extra power to it, to make it more...well.....powerfull.

DeLamar.J

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
I would say Thai boxing is a power style, but each person can be different. For example, Ali might be considered to float like a butterfly, but Foreman was a power house, both men had the same style of fighting(boxing). Each man will use that style differently. I have met people that I would consider powerhouses that train in Tai Chi, and I have seen them beat Thai fighters.
You just never can tell, it depends on the person, no matter what style.
But to try and answer your question, hard styles like Muay Thai are focused on power, while styles like Wing Chun are more for sensitivity and finnese, and speed to overcome power.

searcher

Senior Master
Reaction score
What type of power are we talking about? Breaking power? Kicking power? Punching power? Please clarify for me.

jdinca

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Bazooka do. :bazook:

Need a little more clarification about what you're looking for.

Grenadier

Sr. Grandmaster
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Depends on who you are, and what your traits are as well. The most powerful style is the one that suits your abilities the best. Still, though, the most power style is not necessarily the best style for you.

Someone with bird-like legs might not be a good candidate for Muay Thai or Tae Kwon Do, given the sheer kicking in both styles, and the leg blows someone will absorb in Muay Thai. Someone with a very high center of gravity as well as being very tall might not find Jiu-Jitsu to be a powerful style for them.

chinto01

Black Belt
Reaction score
Sin said:
The power comes from within...Not within the Style

I would have to agree here. I believe it is not the style alone that develops power but the students desire as well.

in the spirit of bushido!

Rob

OP
A

AlwaysTraining

I suppose I'm referring to the ability to deliver devestating strikes (be them kicks or punches).

However, when considered, I'd have to agree with the later of these comments... the power comes from within. Thank you.

searcher

Senior Master
Reaction score
With everything that ahs been said so far, I am leaning towards Hung Gar. The style has developed many powerful fighters and they tend to have very powerful techniques. They train their bodies and their internals to become very devastating.

Sin

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Also it depends on your body type, if your little, then Chinese arts would be for you, or if your big and Bulky then western Boxing may be for you....

Now those were just sterotypes, anyone can do any art...I was only making an observation of the types of people who partisipate in certain styles

FearlessFreep

Senior Master
Reaction score
Right, I think it depends on how you use it. I mean, a lot of arts have hand strikes, but how do you punch? I remember when I was first working hard on punching, my instructor was talking a lot about how boxers develop power for punching; a lot about foot shift to get body weiht movong forward into the punch, hip and sholder rotation, shoulder pop, etc... So as TKDer I was doing punching with a lot of theory from a different art. So does TKD have 'powerful' punches or not? Hmmm...TKD has punches, hjow powerful hey are depends on how you do them....

Now, I wonder if there are various philosophies behind delivering a punch and some lead ot more powerful punches then others?

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have to agree with the theory of how the strikes are being thrown. Sure, there are a ton of arts that have punches and kicks, but how they're thrown is going to determine what results you get. Are they thrown snappy, with no hip or body movement or are people using the hips to aid in generating power?

Mike

bobster_ice

Black Belt
Reaction score
There isnt a style that is the most "powerful", you could be 5th dan is karate or tae kwon do and get your a$$ kicked by a ten year old, it just matters on how well you train... I think.

CuongNhuka

Senior Master
Reaction score
o.k. Third time I’ve had to put this. Third time it irritated me to have to put this.
To have proper self defense abilities:
  • Ability to strike with your hands
  • Ability to strike with your legs
  • Ability to grapple standing and on the floor
  • Knowing how to stand, move, and hold your hands in a fight (stance and guard)
  • Knowing how to disarm an armed opponent
  • Knowing how to use a weapon taken from the opponent. And how to use a pocket stick
  • Training against multiple opponents
  • Training to be able to talk your way out of a bad place. And run, FAST!!!
  • Knowing when to talk, when to run, when to hold, when to strike, when to hurt, when to maim, and (most grimly) when to kill.
  • (Newly added to my list) various forms of freestyle aimed at perfecting and training what you know.

Any style that has these is “powerful”. How many styles have these? Well if you really look, every style does. At least in some way. But if some one is very versed in all these areas are they a “powerful martial artist”. Not necessarily. A pro boxer could, and would, beat the living –blank- out of anyone who is very versed in my ten areas. What is difference? Why would the boxer win? Simple, my ten points are designed for the person that wants to train for 1-5 hours a week. Maybe more-or-less. Boxers train for normally 8 hours a day. 6 days a week.
Part of how a style is powerful is how often and hard the artist trains. Style is not really that relevant. Someone that does hard core, tradition Aikido might start boxing there opponent. A hardcore boxer might pull out some Aiki-ha.
In a fight what style you do doesn’t really matter. What does matter is how often, how hard, how well you train, and how well you understand your style. And how well your style complements your body type.

Sweet Brighit Bless your Blade,

John

SAVAGE

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Thats easy the strongest style is Il-Mus-u-up-do!

Seriously the style is just a sytem of attacks...the person is where the strength of each art comes from!

Martial arts is like a pencil.....its up to the practitioner how well the pencil writes or draws!

*bows respectfully*

tradrockrat

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Well, I'll take the dissenting view here. Some styles are developed for specific body types and to utilize their strengths. The systems developed for larger, stronger fighters are more powerful in a generic sense.

Now wait a minute guys! Before you jump on me about this first let me say that I agree that you must find the system best for you and develop your power and abilities as best you can.

However, some systems inherently have "power" as their focus rather than speed, accuracy, redirection, or any of a hundred other possible areas. For example, there are nine primary animal systems in Bando as taught by the American Bando Association. Hands down, the Bull form is the most powerful. No contest. Does that mean a Bull practitioner is more powerful than me? No, but it means he has the potential to be, cause Bulls are bigger and stronger than me. In fact, each animal style was developed for specific body / ability types so as to maximise their potential, but everybody knows better than to stand toe to toe with a Bull or Boar.

Now some will say, "But if you train harder and use your speed, you will have more power!" True, but that's not what was asked here. The Cobra (speed and accuracy attacking vital targets) can beat the Bull, but not by brute force, which is what I think was meant here.

Latest Discussions