The X-blocks

mook jong man

Senior Master
Reaction score
This just highlights that even in Wing Chun, there will be differences :)

On your double bong sau though, if you are on an angle addressing your attacker's centerline, aren't your hands at different distances in relationship between his body and yours? While perhaps this is a weakened structure, it still seems to be within the 2 line theory. :)
I don't want to talk too much more because it's supposed to be a karate thread lol.
But you know the double Lan Sau from Chum Kiu , if you change both your arms from horizontal to a 45 degree angle then you have the position for the Double Bong Sau.

The arms will be slanted with the middle of the forearms on the centerline , it's a very strong structure.
From that position the top hand will lop sau the attackers wrist and drag him into a Fak Sau to the throat.

punisher73

Senior Master
Reaction score
That's fascinating, thanks very much! Yes, we use the motion you described as bunkai in the next move of Seuinchin, in place of the 'basic' bunkai of a spear hand strike. It can also be seen as you describe in Sunsu if I understand it correctly (I am still learning Sunsu) when you stack hands before delivering the (no longer called) toe-rip kick. The bunkai I've been shown is just as you describe, I think. A grappling move of intercepting an incoming punch, and grasping the wrist and elbow of the incoming hand before twisting and offbalancing the opponent and then delivering the kick to their center. I can only imagine it would hurt like the dickens even in practice.

Since you probably enjoy history, especially of your art. Here is an old picture of Tatsuo Shimabuku performing that move from Sunsu.
http://www.senseibryan.com/master%20shimabukus%20katas/shimabuku-kick.jpg Not sure why it won't let me insert the image though.

OP
Bill Mattocks

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Since you probably enjoy history, especially of your art. Here is an old picture of Tatsuo Shimabuku performing that move from Sunsu.
http://www.senseibryan.com/master%20shimabukus%20katas/shimabuku-kick.jpg Not sure why it won't let me insert the image though.

shimabuku-kick.jpg

Wow, thank you! That's the move, although when you see it done in kata, it's hard to imagine that's what it can be used for. The way we do it, it's almost like a stack hands, with one palm up, one down, about a foot apart and slightly offset centerline towards the karateka's right.

The other bunkai I've seen for this is similar to the photo you linked to, but imagine Soke's right hand lifting and tilting the uke's right elbow, causing him to be even more unbalanced. I'm sure you've seen that, though.

punisher73

Senior Master
Reaction score
You're welcome! Here is a video of Tatsuo Shimabuku doing bunkai from his kata (uke is Steve Armstrong)

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest Discussions