The worst job you ever had

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Well, those are all really funny and gross.

I worked for a temporary agency that sent me out on an assignment to do collections for FHP in Orange County, California. FHP was one of the first HMOs. What they didn't tell me was that I was calling the families of recently deceased patients to collect payment and make payment arrangements on their outstanding medical bills.

I quit after the third phone call.

Ceicei

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
shesulsa said:
Well, those are all really funny and gross.

I worked for a temporary agency that sent me out on an assignment to do collections for FHP in Orange County, California. FHP was one of the first HMOs. What they didn't tell me was that I was calling the families of recently deceased patients to collect payment and make payment arrangements on their outstanding medical bills.

I quit after the third phone call.
EEwwww!! Talk about insensitivity!!! Now if I could have a smiley that wrinkles the nose... It's almost as bad as having a lawyer show up at the hospital right after a family member died.

- Ceicei

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Mark Weiser said:
Your Welcome C. and Kaith your an Activist lol
Ant that time, I was just angry....think if I wasn't so in shock at what had just happened, I woulda done some violence. I'm all for recylcing, but me...I don't wanna be part of it for a loooong time. :)

shesulsa

MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
The last phone call I made on that job was to a woman who had lost her husband three days prior, "thanks to Fatal Health Plan!" (her words). I apologized to her, hung up, picked up my things and walked out the door. Went straight to my temp office and told them what I had just done and why. They gave me an executive secretary position at Weiser Lock - cake walk job for $15.00 per hour. This guy barely asked me to do anything.

M

Mark Weiser

Did someone mention the Weiser family name lol. POINTS to the Name on this posting lol

shesulsa

MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
lol - yeah - liked working there. Are you a Weiser of the family that owns Weiser Lock?

Ping898

Senior Master
Reaction score
worst job for me.... Working at a ice skating rink. I worked weere people traded in their shoes and rented a pair of skates. One kid turned in a pair with dog doo doo on them. Smelled nasty and we were stuck with them back there for hours. We put paper towels around them, but didn't help much. :disgust: And of course they were the customer, so not like we could refuse or go off on them or anything. EEEEWWWW!!!

M

Melissa426

Detasseling corn.
Walking up and down miles of rows of corn for 10 hours a day, rain or shine, middle of summer, pulling the tassels off of the tops of the corn stalk.

It was the only decent paying job I could get as a 13-14 y.o. Back then, minimum wage was about $1.85 an hour.

T

TonyM.

There have been so many in the last 39 years. Gilding Bibles was probably the worst. Pushing 70 bibles on a wheeled sled under a belt sander from 7:00-4:30 with two 5 min. breaks and an unpaid half hour lunch break. Being a Correctional Officer was probably the next worst. It's not unlike doing time for 8-16 hrs a day. Glass recycle is right up there next. Oh yeah, cleaning the bleachers at Laurel International race track was a load of fun. Gotta love carrying 55gal. galvanized trash cans full of torn ticket stubs. They weighed more than I did.

KenpoTess

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Selling Kirby Vacuum cleaners.. egad.. many many moons ago, (20 years ago) seems like yesterday~! I lasted 2 weeks.. I was flabbergasted at the classes we had to take.. First we would meet at the office.. Mandatory singing.. *this is too stupid to make up~!!* "Roll out the Kirby.. blah blah *all to the Beer barrel polka tune*twitch* Then contests to see who could take apart and put back together the vacuum the fastest.. errr.. Then after 'Graduation' .. we were off to make oodles of money.. our appointments were pre-set.. but always in the boonies of Western NY.. our offer for the client to listen to our speel was either an 8'x10' area shampooed, or 1 piece of upholstered furniture.. now a couple people would listen, and being they could buy on credit.. I sold 9 cleaners the first week/half.. a few of the clients, had emptied a 16x20' room of furniture and expected me to clean it all.. Uhh Not gonna happen people~!!
Now sure.. at $1000 bucks a cleaner.. I should of made some great commisions.. when I went back to pick up my paycheck.. guess what.. The Entire operation was GONE~! My boss had upped and split town.............. No checks.. no cleaner (had to return the demo each night) .................
That was a good lesson .. I Hate Kirbys to this day~!

A

Akula

After reading through this, there is no way I'm going to even try to claim to have the worst one.

My personal worst one was when I was going to college, I interviewed for a part time advertising position with decent sounding duties, and got it. Showed up for the first day for the company orientation and review of the job with four other people - still no warning signs. Showed up for the second day, and was bascially told that it was really a telemarketing position and that the duties discussed in the interview would happen 'a year or two out' and pointed to a small desk with a phone and a large list of numbers. I made my opinions known and make a prompt u-turn and headed for the door. Before my car had left the parking lot, I saw three of the four people in my orientation group heading for thier cars as well.

Rob Broad

Master of Arts
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Melissa426 said:
Detasseling corn.
Walking up and down miles of rows of corn for 10 hours a day, rain or shine, middle of summer, pulling the tassels off of the tops of the corn stalk.

It was the only decent paying job I could get as a 13-14 y.o. Back then, minimum wage was about $1.85 an hour.

Been there, much nicer than grading mushrooms.

psi_radar

Black Belt
Reaction score
#1 Ditch digging
"The world needs ditch diggers too."--Judge Schmiels

#2 Roofing in Philadelphia in the summertime
Not as quaint as it sounds. And it doesn't sound too quaint.

B

Baytor

I worked for a summer at a fence company. It is a sawmill that makes fences. Being the temp summer guy, I got the fun job of peeling cedar posts with some lifer there. He would put the 8 foot cedar poles on the peeler, and I sorted them by diameter. It was very loud boring work. The day I got to work on the "pointer" was a welcome relief. Thats when I took the peeled posts and shoved them into an industrial sized pencil sharpener.

I still hate that job.

A

AaronLucia

I would have to say the job of burning crap. Now burning my own crap isn't that bad, but burning EVERYONE'S crap who lived in my building, now that sucked. :p

Shodan

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Okay- well........my worst job ever was working for my Dad at his dental office. I had all kinds of neat tasks such as janitorial........cleaning the public restroom.......which wasn't as clean as some of you many think being it was a professional office!! Then there was cleaning the instruments/sterilizing and disposing of old tooth particles, bloody, smelly gauze, cleaning out suction tubes and the recepticle where all the sucked items go......yeah.......nice!!

On the plus side........Dad paid me very well and I pretty much could take vacation anytime I wanted/needed to. :uhyeah:

Mace

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I spent the summer between HS and college working on a golf course and thought it would be fun. Found out a couple days in that I would be spending my time digging out the sand traps with a shovel and then refilling them with new sand. Funniest part was one day my friend and I were waiting for a truck load of sand, and someone screams "Fore". So there we are looking for the ball in the air when it bounces right between his feet, in one side and out the other. I've never seen such a shade of pale. :EG:
Sean

Latest Discussions