The Vanishing Flame: Burma - Connecticut screening

blackdiamondcobra

Purple Belt
Reaction score
The Vanishing Flame: Burma show is now set for Saturday, October 1st at 9:15pm at Real Art Ways in Hartford, Connecticut.

REAL ART WAYS
http://www.realartways.org

Please note we are finalizing the show and it won't appear on the calender until the October schedule goes up on the website. I will keep everyone updated on the actual details of the show and who the guests will be. There have been some fluctuations on the time but I think we are pretty locked in for October 1st(if anything changes I will get the info up as soon as possible).

More info to follow.

OP
blackdiamondcobra

blackdiamondcobra

Purple Belt
Reaction score
We have a teaser trailer up with info now:

[video=vimeo;27139063]http://www.vimeo.com/27139063[/video]

fangjian

Black Belt
Reaction score
Is this a video 'documentary' about Burmese MA?

OP
blackdiamondcobra

blackdiamondcobra

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Its a screening and discussion where we will screen parts of three different upcoming documentaries on burmese martial arts and discuss the situation in burma over the last 11 years. We are doing screenings of works in progress that are forthcoming. This particular show is devoted solely to burmese martial arts.

OP
blackdiamondcobra

blackdiamondcobra

Purple Belt
Reaction score
The new Black Belt Oct 2011 with Alistair Overeem on the cover, has a short article on the museum series of shows and a short bit on our last show on page 36.

Stickgrappler

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Awesome trailer! Will look for the Black Belt and check out.

Hoping to make this one.

VASI

Orange Belt
Reaction score
great trailer

was disappointed with the coverage in black belt
just didnt cover the depth and detail that was there but thats the mags for ya

VASI

Orange Belt
Reaction score
lookin forward to more details about the show once it gets closer!

Jimi

Black Belt
Reaction score
Blackdiamondcobra...Vin... It has been a little while since we corresponded here. The Film looks like great stuff man. It seems that I can not attend, nor can Jon, but he has told me that he has cooresponded with you about it.

Although we clashed on topic a good while back about the vid on youtube I mentioned of Jon visiting Burma, I am glad to hear you have been in contact with Jon. Jon means a great deal to me above the ABA itself. Gyi would recognize me and a few of our fighters, so I (and Jon) are not completely out of the loop. LOL

I hope all is a success.

Peace Jimi

OP
blackdiamondcobra

blackdiamondcobra

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Hi Jimi,

Yes, I corresponded with Jon. Bob Maxwell put me in touch. I look forward to seeing him in the future.

This is two works in progress and next year hopefully we will be back around to show the full completed projects. There is still more for me to film and fill the gaps as you know its hard getting through Burma and getting the things you want. It takes alot of time and negotiation.

I will keep everyone updated. I will also post closer to the show what the program will look like.

Jimmy, email me anytime or if you want to be on the vanishing flame list.

Jimi

Black Belt
Reaction score
Respects,
Love the partial footage I was able to see in the trailer. I appreciate the offer to be on the vanishing flame list and I will PM you my email. I trust you are busy with this and other event prep so no need to hassle with anything, just so you will have my other more frequent contact. I am infrequent here anymore.

Again, I hope all is a success, we both have passion for our exposure to Thaing, Bando, Banshay, Naban, Lethwei etc... from our experiences w/ people like Gyi, Jon (for me) Bob Maxwell and You have had the direct experience of research in Myanmar(Mynmar?:)/Old Burme itself. Wow.

Yes Blackdiamondcobra, Vin (forgive if too informal) My Eyes Are Certainly Hungry To See More. This is meant as a compliment to your work. How I have been trained by Jon and others has my mind/intelect/spirit quite intrigued to see more.

This is the stuff I crave to see, to let my eyes and senses devour it, to wish to express it and hold it sacred as well. What beauty you have captured on film man, wonderous. I hope to someday see your completed work and I regret not being able to attend this CT event. May all go well for you.

Peace & Respects Jimi

OP
blackdiamondcobra

blackdiamondcobra

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Just wanted to give everyone a quick update. I am still editing away getting ready for the mix

The show is going to run two hours.

The first part will be
Burmese Martial Culture
followed by a discussion
The second part will be
Bare Knuckle Warriors: The Art of Burmese Lethwei
followed by a discussion

Both are rough works in progress( i assume both would eventually run around 90-120 minutes each). I had not realized what a huge topic the burmese martial culture would be. Its staggering the amount of time i would need to cover something like that. The compression of the themes was really hard to consolidate and compress into something cohesive and understandable to a wide audience. So I guess we will see in one week.

VASI

Orange Belt
Reaction score
All sounds good bro
lookin forward to makin it if i can

VASI

Orange Belt
Reaction score
another great show!
any other martialtalk peeps go? I met one guy john who posts on another forum
master gyi was very funny--i didnt expect that! and very detailed in his talks
great conversations too with vincent and the others
i learned a ton about burma on top of it

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I heard it went very well. Dr. Gyi can indeed be very funny... of course, sometimes, his idea of funny and his victim's may not be in complete agreement! ;)

Latest Discussions