The Side Parry

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Agree that the "side parry" (I'll call it 引(Yin) - Arm guiding) is an important MA skill. If you can guide your opponent's leading arm elbow joint side way to jam his own back arm, for

- wrestling art, more than 80% of the throw can be executed there.
- striking art, your other hand can punch on your opponent's head.
- knife fight, your opponent's knife can't reach you.

IMO, in MA there are some techniques (or principles) that are more important. This one definitely is.

Martial D

Senior Master
Reaction score
I would like to see you pull some of that off at speed. I'm a little sceptical.

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I would like to see you pull some of that off at speed. I'm a little sceptical.
If you ask in fist swinging environment, whether you will be able to use your hand to guide your opponent's punching arm side way, it happens all the time.

Silva+belfort+2.gif

machida1.gif

giphy.gif

Last edited:
Reactions: KPM

Martial D

Senior Master
Reaction score
If you ask whether in fist swinging environment, whether you will be able to use your hand to guide your opponent's punching arm side way, it happens all the time.

Silva+belfort+2.gif

machida1.gif

giphy.gif
Yes but none of those people are standing in the pocket trying to side Parry a knife with another knife.

OP
K

KPM

Senior Master
Reaction score
I'm going out on a limb here, but I'm guessing you've never been in a knife fight, ?

That's kind of a stupid question. Have you? When someone talks about shooting do you ask if they've been in a gun fight?

OP
K

KPM

Senior Master
Reaction score
Yes but none of those people are standing in the pocket trying to side Parry a knife with another knife.

Anything you do knife against knife is risky and you can sit back and second guess it until the cows come home. I didn't make this up. Its been part of using a big knife. And no one said anyone would be "standing in the pocket." Everything is dynamic and used when the opportunity presents itself. If the opportunity isn't there....you do something else instead. And I specifically stated in the video that this comes into play when you find yourself at middle range. Its better to be further out so you can evade. But that isn't always possible.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
That's kind of a stupid question. Have you? When someone talks about shooting do you ask if they've been in a gun fight?
Its not that stupid, it's blatantly obvious you haven't or you wouldn't be doing what you are in that vid, and yes I have,
Find someone fairly fast, give him a plastic knife and tell him you giv him 10$ every time he stabs you whilst you try and catch the knife on yours, like you demonstraigh, you will be down a few grand in an hour

OP
K

KPM

Senior Master
Reaction score
Its not that stupid, it's blatantly obvious you haven't or you wouldn't be doing what you are in that vid, and yes I have,
Find someone fairly fast, give him a plastic knife and tell him you giv him 10$ every time he stabs you whilst you try and catch the knife on yours, like you demonstraigh, you will be down a few grand in an hour

And do you go to the Japanese Koryu forums and ask all of them if they have been in a sword fight? Like I said, there is a time and place for everything. You do things when the opportunity presents. You don't set out to do them on purpose. If YOU actually did any real knife training, you would realize that.

Gweilo

Master Black Belt
Reaction score

So what happened to your argument you had with me about teaching all the classical techniques, regardless if they were relevant, because it is part of the art?
If the video was for educational purposes, surely you would cover all the bases and at a tempo that is viewable for the student?

OP
K

KPM

Senior Master
Reaction score
You know, actually....I would take Jobo's challenge. He is wrong. Because what he described is essentially one of the progressive sparring drills we do. You give one partner a knife as well as a bracer and glove and tell him all he can do are straight thrusts and backhand slashes. You give the other partner a Bowie trainer and tell him all he can do is evade or use the side parry. Then you go it! This is a form of "hand sparring", and this is how you develop the side parry. The side parry is essentially the same thing as a backhand backcut. It just depends on what makes contact and where. So yeah.....if Jobo wanted to square off with me and work that sparring drill, I'm damn sure I wouldn't be "down a few grand in an hour." Because I've done that drll! ;)

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
So what happened to your argument you had with me about teaching all the classical techniques, regardless if they were relevant, because it is part of the art?
If the video was for educational purposes, surely you would cover all the bases and at a tempo that is viewable for the student?
I think you mistaking me for someone else, but any way I'm pretty sure that Bowie knife training is not a classical techneque

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is a common fallacy in discussing specific techniques. The idea is NOT to try to do this when someone tries to stab/cut. It's to use this when there's an opportunity and opening. It's not that different from those short parries in the videos KFW posted. Any of those parries would get you knocked out if you said, "Keep trying to punch me, and I'll be parrying like this." Yet they absolutely work, on a reliable basis, with a reasonable percentage of success.

Can you parry a knife? Yes. Can you do it on command? Probably not.

Reactions: KPM
OP
K

KPM

Senior Master
Reaction score

Remember.....Jobo likes to argue just for the sake of arguing! ;)

OP
K

KPM

Senior Master
Reaction score
I think you mistaking me for someone else, but any way I'm pretty sure that Bowie knife training is not a classical techneque

But the side parry is a "classic" bowie knife technique. I didn't just make it up.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
This is a common fallacy in discussing specific techniques. The idea is NOT to try to do this when someone tries to stab/cut. It's to use this when there's an opportunity and opening. It's not that different from those short parries in the videos KFW posted. Any of those parries would get you knocked out if you said, "Keep trying to punch me, and I'll be parrying like this." Yet they absolutely work, on a reliable basis, with a reasonable percentage of success.

Can you parry a knife? Yes. Can you do it on command? Probably not.
Are you telling me that knife parry works reliably with a high% if success, ? If not I'm not sure what point your making, that doesn't end with a Bowie knife stuck in your chest,

Last edited:

Gweilo

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Well clearly someone just made it up
I know most people living in Manchester are grumpy, but may I suggest a change in diet, fish and rice or a big jar of prunes or something

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Remember.....Jobo likes to argue just for the sake of arguing! ;)
You may as well post that vid on a how to commit suicied site, I mean your entitle to your own fantasy, but you really should not be spreading it around as a useful technique

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Discussions