The Norm' For Muay Thai Classes?

Jutt-

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Whilst visiting a friend who lives a while away from me , I was lucky enough to find a gym to continue my training.

When I wen to the gym , I noticed that the learning approach was very freestyle , with people practasing moves and excersising , as opposed to be being shown diffrent techniques.

There seemed to be alot of fighters there who were very good , so I can knock it , but in my current class it's always down to set formulas from the instructor.

Is the freestyle learning aspect popular in most dojod that train Muay Thai ?

Thanks for your time.
Is the fre

Odin

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Whilst visiting a friend who lives a while away from me , I was lucky enough to find a gym to continue my training.

When I wen to the gym , I noticed that the learning approach was very freestyle , with people practasing moves and excersising , as opposed to be being shown diffrent techniques.

There seemed to be alot of fighters there who were very good , so I can knock it , but in my current class it's always down to set formulas from the instructor.

Is the freestyle learning aspect popular in most dojod that train Muay Thai ?

Thanks for your time.
Is the fre

It was proberly a fighters class or an advance class, after a couple years learning the basics its not unusual to let the fighters fight thier own stlye of muay thai.

Beginners and itermediate classes are alot more structured.

King

Green Belt
Reaction score
I agree with Odin, you probably stumbled upon self study. In my gym you are expected to attend classes and practice/tweak the techniques you learned from those classes on your free time. There are plenty of keen students out there who will stay in the gym all day/all the time if they can.

thaistyle

Blue Belt
Reaction score
It's normal for advanced students, fighters and classes to run this way. The kru will oversee it though and make sure everyone is doing techniques correctly. Your beginners classes are very structured with very close guidance and instruction from the kru. Sounds like you got to see the advanced students train.