do you think it'll be alright to do it yourself?

eggwhites

White Belt
Reaction score
just wondering what you guys/girls think. why not join a gym you ask? well, the thing is i'm just using it as a form of cardio because i'm a weight lifter at heart and i just want have a different form of burning calories. plus, i just want to do it when i feel like it. for example i don't want to do it after working out my legs. is it hard to self learn? no one will be looking at my form and i know that if a person learns the wrong way it's hard to unlearn it.

Kieran

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
You would be best to take a few lessons (at least) from someone first of all I think. Mainly for the reasons you outlined yourself.

I think it would be quite hard to learn yourself. I've been training for almost a year and I'm only just getting into more advanced techniques now, my basics are still needing lot of work before the technique is 100%. on top of that I don't think I would have been able to get my footwork right or my yaang saam khum right if I wasn't training with a club.

Of course, everyone is different but I think you should get someone to show you the ropes first of all.

savior

Green Belt
Reaction score
yeah learn the basics.. only problem is that learning those basics the right way may take 6 months

King

Green Belt
Reaction score
Hrmm, you can probably find work out tapes that has punching, kicking, knees, etc. If you are only planning on doing it for cardio then I wouldn't really call it learning Muay Thai; so you wouldn't have to worry about form and functionality -- since you're not going to be relying on techniques outside of exercise context.

But if you are considering on learning the art then you have to find a real kru. Because even a guy who's been "taking" Muay Thai for a few years will not have enough experience to properly guide you. I'm basically saying that experience and knowledge goes a long way with developing your own skills. Learning from a person who doesn't know what they are doing will only cripple your abilities. Anyway good luck with it mate.

thaistyle

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I have to agree with King. If you want cardio kickboxing than just do it yourself, but if you want muay thai, you better find a qualified instructor (kru) to show you the basics. If you are trying to learn muay thai on your own, you are wasting your time.

meth18au

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Hey buddy,

I fully understand the dilemma you are in. I have been an avid weightlifter for around 6 years or so now. I had this dilemma when I first started my MT training. I didn't want the martial arts to get in the way of my training. I was worried about being able to kick (or even walk!!!) after a session of heavy squatting, or doing the huge amount of push-ups required in Muay Thai after my chest workouts. There are ways around it though, where there is a will, there is a way!!! :)

However from my experience, my weight training has gone from 4-day splits to 2-day splits because I love my martial art training so much that it becomes my primary focus. Either way, if you don't try to incorporate it you will never know whether it is for you or not!!! It may just become your next passion!!! And as others have said before me, you definitely need qualified instruction to learn Muay Thai properly.

Good luck with it champ.
If you wanna know exact routines in detail that I have tried out mixing the 2 forms of training, then just msg me.

Latest Discussions