The Miraculous Power of Fasting

Unkogami

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I was asking for a quote supporting the accusation that I was not posting on topic and/or that I was lying about my own personal life experiences. Or we could stop this "Let's troll Unkotare" and get back to the point.

Oily Dragon

Senior Master
Reaction score
Don't worry about being redundant. Post your evidence right here so we are all clear what we are talking about.
You haven't discussed fasting in about at least 72 hours or more. Are you fasting right now?

If we were trying to solve a hot homicide case, we'd have already failed in our collective mission.

If your next comment is about fasting, and not the evils of cranberry juice, I'll respond.

If it's not, I might respond.

OP
Instructor

Instructor

Master of Arts
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You haven't discussed fasting in about at least 72 hours or more. Are you fasting right now?

If we were trying to solve a hot homicide case, we'd have already failed in our collective mission.

If your next comment is about fasting, and not the evils of cranberry juice, I'll respond.

If it's not, I might respond.
May I suggest you guys make a new thread for your debate about high school wrestling nutrition and practices. It might prove educational. I know one very sick young man who could have benefited from wisdom in this area.

chiquest

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I think the problem with any example of how fasting works is that human bodies are incredibly variable. One person may get best results with this kind of extreme intermittent fasting (this being about the largest gap you can get with daily fasting), while another person's body may have a bad reaction to 12-hour gaps (in my 20's, that big a gap was a real problem).

Have you found any source that guides on how to find a fasting regimen that works for an individual, as opposed to simply instructing on how to follow a specific regimen?
This website lists a few intermittent fasting methods...https://sph.umich.edu/pursuit/2019posts/beginners-guide-to-intermittent-fasting.html...but it always depends on the individual. It's true, everyone is unique. For example, I rarely feel hunger. I usually have to check a clock throughout the day and remind myself it's time to eat something. So, you would have to experiment with the duration of fasting periods. Remember, though, you have to stick with an experiment for a few days, not just one day. You might feel uncomfortable at first, but stay with it and see if your body adapts. Then make adjustments by either lengthening or shortening the fasting duration. Using the sleep cycle as part of the fast makes it easier. It's worthwhile to activate autophagy and then balancing it with a healthy diet. It's key to health span and life span.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This website lists a few intermittent fasting methods...https://sph.umich.edu/pursuit/2019posts/beginners-guide-to-intermittent-fasting.html...but it always depends on the individual. It's true, everyone is unique. For example, I rarely feel hunger. I usually have to check a clock throughout the day and remind myself it's time to eat something. So, you would have to experiment with the duration of fasting periods. Remember, though, you have to stick with an experiment for a few days, not just one day. You might feel uncomfortable at first, but stay with it and see if your body adapts. Then make adjustments by either lengthening or shortening the fasting duration. Using the sleep cycle as part of the fast makes it easier. It's worthwhile to activate autophagy and then balancing it with a healthy diet. It's key to health span and life span.
Unfortunately, every time I’ve tried purposely fasting (as opposed to just forgetting to eat), I have acid problems that make the rest of my day miserable and ruin my sleep for the night. That’s not something I can reasonably wait out.

OP
Instructor

Instructor

Master of Arts
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Unfortunately, every time I’ve tried purposely fasting (as opposed to just forgetting to eat), I have acid problems that make the rest of my day miserable and ruin my sleep for the night. That’s not something I can reasonably wait out.
I went through acid problems too that predated fasting. It seemed like they got worse when I fasted. After a while though I didn't experience that anymore.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I went through acid problems too that predated fasting. It seemed like they got worse when I fasted. After a while though I didn't experience that anymore.
As long as those happen, I doubt I'll make it past that. It's too disruptive to be worth the fast.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Timely study was recently released (published a week ago). Conclusion is that, "Among patients with obesity, a regimen of time-restricted eating was not more beneficial with regard to reduction in body weight, body fat, or metabolic risk factors than daily calorie restriction."

In other words, if time restriction helps you remain disciplined about your caloric intake, great. It doesn't seem to hurt. But you would gain the exact same benefit from simply restricting your caloric intake and eating whenever you want.

OP
Instructor

Instructor

Master of Arts
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Timely study was recently released (published a week ago). Conclusion is that, "Among patients with obesity, a regimen of time-restricted eating was not more beneficial with regard to reduction in body weight, body fat, or metabolic risk factors than daily calorie restriction."

In other words, if time restriction helps you remain disciplined about your caloric intake, great. It doesn't seem to hurt. But you would gain the exact same benefit from simply restricting your caloric intake and eating whenever you want.

This is true if weight loss were the only goal. In my case I fast for longevity reasons. This is where fasting pays massive dividends.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
This is true if weight loss were the only goal. In my case I fast for longevity reasons. This is where fasting pays massive dividends.
I would be interested in reading some scientific research on the subject. Do you have some stuff you can share?

OP
Instructor

Instructor

Master of Arts
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I would be interested in reading some scientific research on the subject. Do you have some stuff you can share?
I shared a couple of good studies earlier in the thread here is another one:

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
I shared a couple of good studies earlier in the thread here is another one:
I will freely admit that this is a pretty dense study. Reading it, can you help me understand how they're defining "dietary restriction"? Also, it seems to focus a lot on fusion and AMPK, but I don't really get the nexus with fasting... unless that is what they mean by dietary restriction. Anyway, interesting article, but I guess what I'm saying is, it's a little above my head. :D

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I will freely admit that this is a pretty dense study. Reading it, can you help me understand how they're defining "dietary restriction"? Also, it seems to focus a lot on fusion and AMPK, but I don't really get the nexus with fasting... unless that is what they mean by dietary restriction. Anyway, interesting article, but I guess what I'm saying is, it's a little above my head. :D
Mine, too, perhaps. I’d read “dietary restriction” to mean caloric restriction, rather than fasting.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Steel is not tempered in downy feathers. Weakness begets only weakness.
Ah, so ignoring the effects of sleep deprivation (including the physical problems it can create) is strength. Got it.

Now get off that stupid high horse. You look ridiculous up there.

Latest Discussions