The effectiveness of Acupuncture.

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Xue Sheng said:
She has treated a couple of cases succesfully but it really depends on the severity.

In Chinese medicine, from the Chinese OMD perspective, they would not work with the Western Diagnosis. They would talk to you about your symptoms and basically do a TCM examination and give it a Chinese name and depending on severity and cause the name would be different and in Chinese.

Also depending on severity and the cause, per a Chinese Diagnosis, it may or may not be treatable. Sever with specific causes (and I do not know what those causes would be) is not treatable. Sever with other causes might be treatable all the way too mild is very treatable.

It really depends on your particular situation.

I think that is the most informed response that I have ever received on the subject. :asian:

I appreciate your insight and her insight very much. I may PM you in the near future. :)

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
lady_kaur said:
I think that is the most informed response that I have ever received on the subject. :asian:

I appreciate your insight and her insight very much. I may PM you in the near future. :)

Thank you but all the insight is hers.

PM me anytime.

shifu

Orange Belt
Reaction score
One of my students has a shoulder injury from his work and is currently undergoing acupuncture for same. He swears by its benefits. I have also undergone acupuncture for releasing Chi/qi and found it to be most pleasing and effective.

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Me I swear my it..Messed my lower back up doing squats..One session and I was able to walk upright and not all bent over...

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
I swear by it as well, but I can be considered biased.

About 2 years before I started forced acupuncture treatments I had a solid year of nothing but injuries that started with a partially torn ligament in my elbow and ended with a tree falling on me. I will spare you the entire detailed list.

When the year was done I had constant pain in my low back, shooting pain between my left foot and left knee and an entirely numb right foot, fairly regular (not constant) shoulder and neck pain, and doing Tai Chi hurt.

I meant my wife and after we were married I was "told" I was getting acupuncture and herbal treatments (they were free so I listened).

I still have occasional minor back pain, but it doesn't stop me and that is a very old injury, however the rest is gone.

Now I just got to work on getting back in shape...and after 40 that ain't easy.

OK. I’ll stop now, I’m starting to sound like a commercial.

TKDmel

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I currently know of only 3 well trained Chinese acupuncturists in the US. But I am certain there are more. 1 is in Oregon 1 is my wife (yes I know that makes me bias in many peoples eyes, but it is true.) There is also one in Syracuse.

Xue Sheng, Could you PM me with any contact info you may have on the practitioners here in Syracuse? I had wonderful results with accupunture here many years ago but can not find the gentleman anymore. He may no longer practice as he was fairly old back then.

I am pretty new to MT so I hope asking this is allowed. If its not then please forgive my ignorance.

Wey

Green Belt
Reaction score
I wish to have acupuncture done to me as well, though I do not have any real ailments, other than flexibility problems. D:

Xue Sheng, could you ask your wife about the effects, if any, of acupuncture on flexibility? It would be much appreciated. And, does she have any referrral of an acupuncturist around the Atlanta area? Thanks.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
I wish to have acupuncture done to me as well, though I do not have any real ailments, other than flexibility problems. D:

Xue Sheng, could you ask your wife about the effects, if any, of acupuncture on flexibility? It would be much appreciated. And, does she have any referrral of an acupuncturist around the Atlanta area? Thanks.

I will ask her

Also she does not know anyine in Atlanta. You can chack the NCCAOM website to see who is there.

Also if you find someone that is saying they were trained in China make sure you find out what they were trained in China. Trained in China does not necessarily mean trained in Traditional Chinese Medicine in China.

There are a lot of Chinese that ended up in acupuncture in the US that claim trained in China, and they were, just not in acupuncture. I have seen that claim made by people trained as nurses in China and Western Medicine in China and the training is not the same. I even saw one that was claiming trained in China and he actually was trained in China... as an accountant.

There are also some very good practitioners trained here in the US as well.

Wey

Green Belt
Reaction score
Oh boy, gotta check their credentials eh? Thanks for your help.

wushuguy

Purple Belt
Reaction score
finding a good acupuncturist is difficult, sometimes credentials and certificates aren't everything, some times people with skill come to the usa by alternate means so they couldn't get a certificate or bring one with them. my wife and i found one by accident, he came from china and was doing skin care (in china he was a doctor of internal medicine. he did skin care because it was easier to make money as people could see results with their eyes, not waiting for some time guessing whether the herbal medicine worked.)
anyway, talking with him more, he does acupuncture but only for his family and close friends, but he liked us so did acupuncture for my wife's knees. her knees hurt every winter and sometimes unbearable. but after that session, for two years now, winter has come and gone, and she didn't have knee pains.

so, when looking, rather than just the credentials, have to know how long they've been practicing and what kind of success they've been having treating those patients, and what kind of patients they have experience treating. very experienced doctors can tell much just by feeling the pulse and observing the patient. like by feeling the pulse and looking, they will be able to tell what illness you have without you having to tell them. (verifiable by visiting a western doctor and having tests done, or already knowing your illness before visiting).

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
very experienced doctors can tell much just by feeling the pulse and observing the patient. like by feeling the pulse and looking, they will be able to tell what illness you have without you having to tell them. (verifiable by visiting a western doctor and having tests done, or already knowing your illness before visiting).

You are talking abu0t a traditional Chinese medical diagnosis and most well trained TCM docs don't really need and at times don't want the western medical diagnosis. Basically TCM Docs are looking to treat the cause not the result. And just because patient A has a headache does not mean that you treat patient B's headache the same way. They may have different cause.

But in China a TCM Doctor will also send patients for MRIs, X-Rays, etc. and at times prescribe western medication. They do not always have these options here.

Latest Discussions