The Martial Arts BS to English Guide

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
You've trained me, I'm military. So you've trained military.

Didn't I show you an empty hand defense against a stick when we were all going back to the hotel at the meet and greet?

Then I've trained military too... :D :D

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I've trained law enforcement, homeland security, and military.
I'm still not so vain as to insist doors be opened before me by cherubic angels.

theletch1

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I've had students and classmates that were state and local police. I've trained myself off and on and I've trained with Morph4me... both of us are former Marines. So, I could spout all the "I've trained the police and the military"... so long as I didn't try to look at myself in the mirror when I shaved.

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I am not naming names or organizations. However, I know of 4 men....Some in the martial arts world and others who are in the muscle and fitness business. They claim to have taught the U.S. Marine Corps. However, in truth they paid a lot of money to the Marine Corps Relief Fund to help needy Marines and Sailors aboard the Marine Corps installation, held a conference did a few technique planned photo op kind of stuff and well that was that.

Notice they always want to use Quantico for their fake staging. This is where the FBI and Marine Corps Officer Training is. So they can do photo ops in the presence of the FBI and help their cause as well.

The Marine Corps has been all in house with L.I.N.E. and M.C.M.A.P. However, in the time of the Korean and Vietnam war the Marines were learning Yudo, Tae Kwon Do, and Hapkido. Oh yeah from the Korean's themselves.

I agree with Mbuzzy here, if it comes to the military it is in house or a little help from advisors. Look at the Army's recruiting scheme. They have more or less adopted BJJ as their choice of fighting in combat gear. Then when they show the tournament on Spike Tv, they wear shorts and shoes.....not full battle attire and fight like MMA cage fighters.

I only really have this to say, "I am a brown belt in hapkido. I have been training in hapkido in some way shape or form since 1984 when I went to my first formal class." I would almost bet I am one of the longest practitioners of hapkido not to hold a dan ranking." That is ok, I know my technique to a fault and that is what it is all about.
This is one of my pet peeves.

Lots of martial arts instructors have taught law enforcement officers, or military officers, or (in my area) CIA agents and Special Ops types. Whether at sponsored/hosted clinics at a professional training facility or as regular students in normal classes... folks from these professions take martial arts classes.

This is nowhere near the same as being a LE trainer or military trainer. Hey, I can get a group of Marines or FBI agents interested enough for their company or squad to bring me in to teach a few hours. It's not that hard. But that doesn't make me an instructor for that organization...

I've taught cops, service members (include special ops), and more. I'm currently completing the requirements to be a general LE instructor, and looking for a good DT instructor class. You don't hear me saying I'm an instructor; I'll simply say that I have taught individuals from those professions.

David Weatherly

Black Belt
Reaction score
Thanks for a good laugh and a nice summary. Sadly, I'm sure we all know far too many who fall within these descriptions.

David

Cryozombie

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Can I have my Username Changed to "Zombie Grandmaster Super Soke Level 9" please?

If A guy takes a home study course, and was in the military/cop, then he can say he has trained the Military/cop right?

Guro Harold

Senior Master
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Can I have my Username Changed to "Zombie Grandmaster Super Soke Level 9" please?

If A guy takes a home study course, and was in the military/cop, then he can say he has trained the Military/cop right?
Yeah, he can say that he trained the military/copy personally!:)

OP
The Last Legionary

The Last Legionary

All warfare is based on deception.<br><b>nemo malu
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

I schooled a boot. Can I be called Colonel Randor?

matt.m

Senior Master
Reaction score
Funny how that happens.

I too could say that I trained the Marine Corps Judo team. In all actuallity all I did was train with my pals during extra conditioning so they could climb the rope, wall board, pullup ect. easier.

I was the motivator of sorts. Motivator and trainer are totally different things. I am a Judo instructor now, folks pay for me to instruct them in Judo.

I always tried to help people have better workouts by cheering them on. Jeff and Morph4me could tell you that sort of activity was common practice in the Marines. Cheering on your brother when they need it is a sure fire way to help them and the unit to be more combat effective.

When I train or cross train with others there is no instructor. Gee I have some friends that are cops so I wander if I am qualified to instruct at the St. L Police Academy. Maybe, however the important question is "Did I instruct the cops at the academy?" That is a no.

I've had students and classmates that were state and local police. I've trained myself off and on and I've trained with Morph4me... both of us are former Marines. So, I could spout all the "I've trained the police and the military"... so long as I didn't try to look at myself in the mirror when I shaved.

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Funny how that happens.

I too could say that I trained the Marine Corps Judo team. In all actuallity all I did was train with my pals during extra conditioning so they could climb the rope, wall board, pullup ect. easier.

I was the motivator of sorts. Motivator and trainer are totally different things. I am a Judo instructor now, folks pay for me to instruct them in Judo.

I always tried to help people have better workouts by cheering them on. Jeff and Morph4me could tell you that sort of activity was common practice in the Marines. Cheering on your brother when they need it is a sure fire way to help them and the unit to be more combat effective.

When I train or cross train with others there is no instructor. Gee I have some friends that are cops so I wander if I am qualified to instruct at the St. L Police Academy. Maybe, however the important question is "Did I instruct the cops at the academy?" That is a no.
Even more specifically -- did you instruct at the academy as part of the regular programs, either in-service or recruit?

It's one thing to teach a class at the police academy after hours or as a side opportunity. It's entirely different to teach official, approved training.

And there are way too many folks out there who'll made all their claims about having taught cops, spies, 7' tall super soldiers or whatever... without making that little distinguishing point that they taught them on the student's own time... not as part of the program.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I feel like this thread should be in the beginners corner, so new martial artists dont get sucked into b.s. schools. Most of the bullets actually ring true to me despite (or perhaps the truthfulness is the cause of) how much it made me laugh.

punisher73

Senior Master
Reaction score
To my knowledge, the only instructor I have seen claim that he "trained special forces" and had paperwork to back it up was Paul Vunak. He was brought in specifically to train Seal Team Six since that was it's own unit and in charge of their own training stuff. He stated that, and said what he taught them and in what capacity.

But, why doesn't anyone say "I trained a biker gang enforcer" or "I trained a brain surgeon"?

I would be more impressed with, "Hey, I trained average housewives to successfully defend themselves against an attempted rape/mugging". Most LEO's and SF guys already can take care of themselves pretty much.

Latest Discussions