The Last Person Thread - 3.0

Status
Not open for further replies.

seasoned

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Quick question. We have a 14 year old guy in my Judo club who's a white belt, and gets picked on. Thing is, kid is easy 6 foot 3 and he's 190lbs, and has serious potential for Judo. In two years when his coordination catches up with his size, he gets his adult strength, and he's an orange belt or so he's gonna be unbeatable in competition. Has no self esteem whatsoever because he gets picked on and bullied. Any ideas on how to get him a little more confident?

"In two years", he needs something sooner. Fast tract him into a boxing club........... Being picked on at that young age will effect him for years.
Not something you want to hear, but if there is a spark in him boxing will bring it out.

ETinCYQX

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
"In two years", he needs something sooner. Fast tract him into a boxing club........... Being picked on at that young age will effect him for years.
Not something you want to hear, but if there is a spark in him boxing will bring it out.

I meant it's going to take him 2 years to start beating other skilled Judo players. He should have confidence in his skills by May or so

ks - learning to fly

Senior Master
Reaction score
Quick question. We have a 14 year old guy in my Judo club who's a white belt, and gets picked on. Thing is, kid is easy 6 foot 3 and he's 190lbs, and has serious potential for Judo. In two years when his coordination catches up with his size, he gets his adult strength, and he's an orange belt or so he's gonna be unbeatable in competition. Has no self esteem whatsoever because he gets picked on and bullied. Any ideas on how to get him a little more confident?

first question - while he's getting picked on - WHERE is the instructor??? that would never fly at my club!

Second, we had a kid like that - not the getting picked on part - but who didn't realize his own strength or potential and we did our best to encourage him and remind him to watch his control but keep up the hard work and as he climbed the ranks - he gained control and confidence in his own ability...He was also 14 when he started and at 6' 1" - was all legs!!:) And BELIEVE ME! Once he grew mentally into his body - he was awesome at sparring!! I would let your guy know he has friends there too and take the time to work with him - I'm willing to bet that with some consistent motivation - this 'kid' could turn out to be quite a leader!:)

seasoned

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I meant it's going to take him 2 years to start beating other skilled Judo players. He should have confidence in his skills by May or so
Gotcha, my mind set was thinking outside of the club setting, like at school or in his personal life.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
first question - while he's getting picked on - WHERE is the instructor??? that would never fly at my club!
I'm pretty sure he means getting picked on outside of the club.

Second, we had a kid like that - not the getting picked on part - but who didn't realize his own strength or potential and we did our best to encourage him and remind him to watch his control but keep up the hard work and as he climbed the ranks - he gained control and confidence in his own ability...He was also 14 when he started and at 6' 1" - was all legs!!:) And BELIEVE ME! Once he grew mentally into his body - he was awesome at sparring!! I would let your guy know he has friends there too and take the time to work with him - I'm willing to bet that with some consistent motivation - this 'kid' could turn out to be quite a leader!:)
Agreed, let him know he has friends in the club/dojo, and let him know of his strength and potential, to help him get self-confident even before he matures into his body.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Finished my first final. No idea how I did..definitely got a 100 on the written portion, but pretty sure I bombed the practical. Problem is, I have no idea how much each section is worth..hopefully its like the midterm and the written is worth a lot more than the practical.

GrandmasterP

Green Belt
Reaction score
Day off today.
Monday in work all day.
Tuesday in work til I can slide off then that's it until 7th January.
Bring it on Santa!
:)

ETinCYQX

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
It's freezing cold in here.

Also, BJJ is a good bit of fun. Hurts less than Judo too.

grumpywolfman

Black Belt
Reaction score
TV.jpg

Self defense for better time management.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Discussions