The Donohi: Ancient Body Warming Tool of the Ninja

Chris Parker

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Does that include launching personal attacks on new members here in the forum? Because Mr. Chris Parker is making the experience here at Martial Talk very unpleasant. If this is how things are here at Martial Talk, I will do my posting elsewhere next time. Thank You.

Hmm. For the record, there were no personal attacks from my side, Damian. You were critiqued (well, your video was), and you were questioned... if you take that as a personal attack, I do recommend you stop putting things out in public. As far as posting elsewhere, sure, you're welcome to... but, again, for the record, this was quite gentle. Try martialartsplanet (MAP) with an Antony Cummins-inspired video if you want to see something a little harsher... or visit Budoseek and try justifying it with Don Roley... have fun with that.

Lock it! -I'm done here.

Not your decision, of course... but if you don't want to post, that's fine as well. I am a little disappointed that you couldn't (or wouldn't) answer simple questions, but that's fine.

frank raud

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Wow, all this over a pocket warmer made from copper pipe! Forgive my ignorance, was this supposed to have been a secret tool only the ninjas had? Or would the average samurai/peasant/fisherman know about such things?

Chris Parker

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Secret? Not really. Other samurai knew about such items? Undoubtedly. Peasants and farmers? Not as sure, but certainly possible. But, as this particular item is listed and described (in a way) in the Shoninki (a text from the Natori family covering aspects of Kishu Ryu Ninjutsu) it has been seized upon as a "secret ninja tool", particularly by the followers of Antony Cummins, and Antony bluntly doesn't have any grounding in the wider history/culture, and has presented it (and other things) as him revealing the "secrets". He's not, of course... but he is unaware of the many others who have covered such things better long before he did, nor of what was actually secret, and what was more an adaptation of common ideas.

frank raud

Master of Arts
Reaction score
So, consider that most measurements(and material) would have to be adapted to modern/Western measurements(I doubt M copper pipe was accessible to ninjas), wouldn't it be easier to just utilise the concept of a pocket warmer and buy one? Seriously, wouldn't an incense burner do the same job? A hot water bottle? Maybe I'm culturally challenged.

Chris Parker

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Nope, you're dead on, Frank. In fact, in describing the video to some of my guys, that's pretty much the simile I used... it's like an old-tech hot water bottle in it's application. The big issue is that, if you're doing this to explore old technology (from an academic point of view), great... but then don't use modern tools, materials etc. If you're just after something that does the job, there are better (modern) items around. Presenting an old technology achieved with modern methods as something that means anything at all is to completely miss the point.

Cryozombie

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Bottom line Antony Cummins is a poor source for anyone to quote, use, etc.

But... His Video on how the Game Tenchu Stealth Assassins is "real" ninjutsu is AMAZING. "Yes, ninjas hid behind walls" "Yes, ninjas hid on roofs"

AMAZING. The guy really revealed secrets in that video, and now I know, I don't need a school, I can learn from the videogame.

Aiki Lee

Master of Arts
Reaction score
What? Cryo- what is that video called? I must se it now. I am compelled to see it...

Latest Discussions