Decisions… decisions

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
OK here is a rather vague question that may require a more detailed post later.

If you trained Yang Taiji and Sanda and/or once trained Xingyi and Chen style and you were given the choice to train with a Chen Sifu or a Xingyi Sifu on Mainland China for 1 to 2 weeks a few hours a day what would you do.

Also take into account your current Sanda Sifu recently forced a choice between Sanda and Xingyiquan and your current Yang Style Sifu was not upset but not all to happy about Xingyi but is rather fond of Chen style and knows nothing about the sanda training that is going on.

tellner

Senior Master
Reaction score
XS, this has nothing at all to do with martial arts and everything to do with your connections and personal relationships. Do what you think would most enhance those unless one of the teacher's you have access to in China is just so stellar and gawdlike that you'd kick yourself forever for missing out on the twenty hours of personal contact.

Doc_Jude

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
You are responsible for your training. A personal relationship with an instructor might make you feel special, but think about the cultural experience and the connections that could be made by a trip to China.
I have different values than most, but a trip to China sure sounds nice, especially if you have the opportunity to train with some good folks over there. Good luck in your choice.

Brian King

Master of Arts
Supporting Member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Doc_Jude wrote
"I'm gonna steal that, hope you don't mind. "

Not a bit, steal away. Being greedy with (y)our training is something that we stress at our school and a concept I stole from one of my teachers.

Brian

Steel Tiger

Senior Master
Reaction score
OK here is a rather vague question that may require a more detailed post later.

If you trained Yang Taiji and Sanda and/or once trained Xingyi and Chen style and you were given the choice to train with a Chen Sifu or a Xingyi Sifu on Mainland China for 1 to 2 weeks a few hours a day what would you do.

Also take into account your current Sanda Sifu recently forced a choice between Sanda and Xingyiquan and your current Yang Style Sifu was not upset but not all to happy about Xingyi but is rather fond of Chen style and knows nothing about the sanda training that is going on.

Well I think that since you are going to be away from your teachers for a couple of weeks and you have the opportunity to train with these guys then you should do it.

If you're worried about how your teachers will react then train with the Chen guy that seems to offer the least hassles.

Though, if it were me, I'd go with the xingyi.

OP
Xue Sheng

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
XS, this has nothing at all to do with martial arts and everything to do with your connections and personal relationships. Do what you think would most enhance those unless one of the teacher's you have access to in China is just so stellar and gawdlike that you'd kick yourself forever for missing out on the twenty hours of personal contact.

Ever since my wife and I were married she been trying to associate me or get me to associate with a Sifu “in” China. She has tried to get me to train Chen there before. She has no real association with Chen nor has she ever trained it she just thinks it looks more like kung fu as she saw it when she was growing up and she has done some translating for one of the Chen family on a couple of occasions.

And although she said she would look for a Xingyiquan Sifu for me if that is what I decide she is not to found of me training Xingyiquan and she is less happy about my training Sanda, I am to old you know and kung fu styles like those are for young people :uhyeah:. Or at least that is what I am told.:rolleyes:

I would try my best to be open and honest in my relationships and to be greedy in my training.

Good luck

Brian King

I like that thanks

You are responsible for your training. A personal relationship with an instructor might make you feel special, but think about the cultural experience and the connections that could be made by a trip to China.
I have different values than most, but a trip to China sure sounds nice, especially if you have the opportunity to train with some good folks over there. Good luck in your choice.

I have been to China before and I really want to go back, my wife is from there so at least I generally don’t have to worry about hotel expense.

My Yang style sifu I feel is one of the best Yang style sifus on the planet today either in or out of China but he too is from there. My Sanda sifu (also from China) was a personally friend before I started training Sanda with him and honestly any decision I make will not effect that friendship. To be completely honest I train Sanda because it is fun to train but I really have my doubts that I will be able to train and do it justice in the same way in 20 years. But I do feel that I could easily train Taijiquan (Yang and/or Chen) or Xingyiquan the rest of my life (I am hoping that is longer than 20 years)

I like that! I'm gonna steal that, hope you don't mind.

As am I

Not a bit, steal away. Being greedy with (y)our training is something that we stress at our school and a concept I stole from one of my teachers.

Brian

Good then its ok if I steal it to.

Well I think that since you are going to be away from your teachers for a couple of weeks and you have the opportunity to train with these guys then you should do it.

If you're worried about how your teachers will react then train with the Chen guy that seems to offer the least hassles.

Though, if it were me, I'd go with the xingyi.

That is the problem really, I have wanted to train Xingyi since I first read about it about 30 years ago but ever since I trained Chen I have absolutely loved Chen style but with no real teachers for either in my area I ended up training Yang style and although it has not always been this way I am rather happy I did go with Yang. But given the choice between a good Chen teacher and a good Xingyiquan teacher...that is a hard choice for me and I can't pick both, my wife already thinks I train to many and I really only currently train 2 when I trained 3 she was constantly telling me I train to much.

Thanks everybody :asian:

grydth

Senior Master
Reaction score
It would appear the Chen training would be best. You emphasize the martial aspects of Tai Chi and Chen is especially noted for that. This satisfies your wife, gets you to China and creates no conflict with your teachers here.

Will enjoy reading of the fruits of this voyage.