Achieving the one handed pushup

Ivan

Black Belt
Reaction score
Hey guys,
I know it's been a while since I last posted. To catch you up on what's been going on in my life, I finally recovered from a chest infection that impeded my wellbeing for over two months. I've been getting back to training and attempting to join my local amateur club which has been difficult, as they're at capacity for the number of members they have. I also broke my toe in taekwondo due to a stupid running exercise, but I have continued my training albeit in safer manners (it ain't stopping me).

I have been attempting to reach two fitness goals for a while: dragon flags, and one-handed pushups. My dragon flag progress is good, but I am unsure as to how to train for one-handed pushups. Of course, I continue to train my chest using classic gym exercises. Benchpress, inclines, declines, etc... My pushup count is also quite good. My record so far is 72 (on a very, very good day). I have made some progress from the last time I filmed myself but I feel that my progress has come from my training for dragon flags as I have been strengthening my core by doing ab exercises for a high-intensity period of 10 minutes daily. Here is how my one-handed pushup looks like right now:

Are there any exercises you can recommend? Just a heads up, I cannot do chest dips as they hurt my shoulders and collarbones.

isshinryuronin

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I was able to do a few one handed pushups with my right hand. But, curiously, I am left handed! Can't explain that.

Since a one hander requires you to roll to the pushup hand side, I think part of the chest is taken out of the equation and perhaps more arm, shoulder and lat are involved.

Maybe doing two handed pushups leaning a little over to the side will help prepare for the one handed. If right handed, putting a book or other spacer under your left hand will transfer some weight to the right and work that side more.

At 70 years old, those days are long gone and my current max is 26 regular, but unenjoyable, pushups.

For karate, clapping your hands or chest in between will develop explosive power and give a stronger punch, though far fewer reps will be possible.

Alan0354

Master of Arts
Reaction score
It's so good to be young!!! I wish I can do it. Keep trying, you can do it.

I tried it a while back, NOT EVEN CLOSE!!! I am weaker now than those days, so I am not even going to try. It's a different world doing it with one hand. I can still do 20 to 24 pushup wearing 60lbs weighted jacket and feet on a chair easily, but noway one hand pushup.

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
It's so good to be young!!! I wish I can do it. Keep trying, you can do it.

I tried it a while back, NOT EVEN CLOSE!!! I am weaker now than those days, so I am not even going to try. It's a different world doing it with one hand. I can still do 20 to 24 pushup wearing 60lbs weighted jacket and feet on a chair easily, but noway one hand pushup.
Yeah, no way I can do one armed pushups anymore. When I was in my early 20s I could. But I was a skinny little guy with a strong upper body. You know what I could never do? A true, full length, one-armed pull-up (with the other hand down at my side or behind my back). My big brother could do those, for real. But he was a state champ wrestler and then went big time into climbing and mountaineering, and he is really short too (about 5'3"). Body geometry is a factor.

Having strong muscles and short bones, as well as a very competitive personality did the trick for him. Now he's just old and fat like me! :p

Alan0354

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Yeah, no way I can do one armed pushups anymore. When I was in my early 20s I could. But I was a skinny little guy with a strong upper body. You know what I could never do? A true, full length, one-armed pull-up (with the other hand down at my side or behind my back). My big brother could do those, for real. But he was a state champ wrestler and then went big time into climbing and mountaineering, and he is really short too (about 5'3"). Body geometry is a factor.

Having strong muscles and short bones, as well as a very competitive personality did the trick for him. Now he's just old and fat like me! :p
Ha ha, don't talk about fat to me!!! I am only 5'5", I am 175lbs.....after lost another 10lbs lately already. My peak was 198lbs!!! My problem is I am on apple pie and ice cream diet. It's not me, it's my hands!!! they keep shoving those to my face!!!

Ha, I can barely do regular body weight pull up, like 6 to 8 times( bad form towards the end), forget one arm pull up!!!................Hey, at least I can pull myself up!!! 🤣

Remember the Gladiator show on tv? They made the requirements the contestants had to pass before going on the show. Those that qualified cannot be muscular and big or else they could not do some of the requirements. Then in the show, the contestants always got beat up by the gladiators. That's not fair, those gladiators could NOT pass the test, I remember I saw one time the gladiator just could the run up the incline treadmill like thing no matter what. That's part of the requirement for the contestant. You have to be skinny to be able to run up. So those that qualified are all thin and not big. I eventually lost interest in watching the show. I don't like contestants being bullied on the show.

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Hey guys,
I know it's been a while since I last posted. To catch you up on what's been going on in my life, I finally recovered from a chest infection that impeded my wellbeing for over two months. I've been getting back to training and attempting to join my local amateur club which has been difficult, as they're at capacity for the number of members they have. I also broke my toe in taekwondo due to a stupid running exercise, but I have continued my training albeit in safer manners (it ain't stopping me).

I have been attempting to reach two fitness goals for a while: dragon flags, and one-handed pushups. My dragon flag progress is good, but I am unsure as to how to train for one-handed pushups. Of course, I continue to train my chest using classic gym exercises. Benchpress, inclines, declines, etc... My pushup count is also quite good. My record so far is 72 (on a very, very good day). I have made some progress from the last time I filmed myself but I feel that my progress has come from my training for dragon flags as I have been strengthening my core by doing ab exercises for a high-intensity period of 10 minutes daily. Here is how my one-handed pushup looks like right now:

Are there any exercises you can recommend? Just a heads up, I cannot do chest dips as they hurt my shoulders and collarbones.
Twist the hips more. Think about it and try it and I feel you will get what I am saying.

Hadidon

White Belt
Reaction score
Hey guys,

keep practicing every day and hopefully you will become an expert

Cynik75

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Set your feet wider - sit will be easier for you to keep your balance and focus on pushing.
And maybe start witch archer pushups or with one hand resting higher on a support.

Last edited:

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Several good bits already. I used to be able to do these. They share some musculature with a standard push-up, so I’ll come back to that.

Treat it like any exercise you’re trying to develop: get the form right and use light weight. For the form, I agree with the recommendation of a wider stance (as you strengthen, you can choose to narrow it for more development of the stabilizing muscles). For less weight, cut off your other arm.

Okay, maybe not. Do counter push-ups one-handed, and do some from the knees. After you’ve done all you can of the one-handed for the day, do as many 2-handed (from standard position) as you can. For a few days, do the 1-handed only as counter or kneeling. When you see numbers going up on those, do as much as you can (even if it’s just part of one) full 1-handed push-up, then finish with counter 1-handed.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was able to do a few one handed pushups with my right hand. But, curiously, I am left handed! Can't explain that.
I was the same way, but opposite. I suspect my left shoulder has always been more stable - I have had stability issues with my right shoulder over the last decade, and that's probably not something that just happened.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You know what I could never do? A true, full length, one-armed pull-up (with the other hand down at my side or behind my back).
I could do those (and four-finger pull-ups - 2 on each hand) back when I was rock-climbing in my teens. I was really skinny and had developed a lot of upper body strength for that kind of motion. I don't weigh a lot more now, but I'm nowhere near as strong in those motions.

23rdwave

Green Belt
Reaction score
These videos should help you get started. Pavel Tsasouline's Naked Warrior book focuses on the one-arm pushup and pistol (one-leg) squat. What helped me get my first one-arm pushup was lowering myself to the bottom of the movement and then doing a five-second plank. Hold the plank and then relax. Don't try to push yourself up. After training the one-arm plank I got my first pushup later that day.
Your hand needs to be under the pectoral not the shoulder. Spread your fingers and screw yourself clockwise on both the up and down movement. This should push your shoulder into its socket, making you stronger and more connected. Good luck.
I just did my first one-arm pushup in quite a while. Thanks for the inspiration.

Last edited:

Gyakuto

Senior Master
Supporting Member
Reaction score
When I wanted to do normal press-up as a 12year old, I start with my hands on a mantle piece, then as that became easier, a dinner table, progressing to a coffee table, then the floor and finally hand stand press-ups (I made that last one up). Wouldn’t the same strategy work for one handed press ups? Or, and my preference, practise ones martial arts skills instead!

23rdwave

Green Belt
Reaction score
Yes, this is how you train it. I used the stairs in my home for both one-arm pushups and one-leg squats. It is recommended to use stackable steps like they have in gyms but the other way works, too.