The Coming War with Iran?

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
With plans underway for a US attack on Iran reportedly later this summer, what are your thoughts?

This attack has of course been rumored to be coming since the opening of the Iraq war.

Will it happen?

Paul Craig Roberts calls it "
Another American War Crime in the Making"

newGuy12

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Who knows? I would say there is a greater chance of it than not. I would also say that it will be an "October Surprise", and a "Gulf of Tonkin event".

Does anyone know if it is becoming harder for the United States to borrow money yet?

newGuy12

Master of Arts
Reaction score
One thing is for sure -- let Iran squeeze one off -- there won't be much of Iran left after that (and I, for one, will not loose any sleep over it). Isreal will take care of business in a WHOLE different way, if they are smart about it. It won't take take 6 years, that's for sure, hahaha!

Twin Fist

Grandmaster
Reaction score
lemme fill you guys in on something

there are ALWAYS people drawing up war plans

got that?

ALWAYS

it is all hypothetical, but there are teams of people that that is all they do, they pick a country, and draw up a hypothetical plan of how to wage war on that country

it's called planning. And if there is one thing the military LOVES to do besides train, it is PLAN

You practice MA of some kind I assume. Does that mean you PLAN on attacking someone?

no? then why practice self defense?

in case you have to

it is the same thing.

to quote Sgt Hulka

"settle down Francis"

OP
Bob Hubbard

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Here's the questions:

What's the reason? Is there really a problem, or is it just more "because we can" crap from Bush and Cheney?

We're already stretched thin with our Iraqi Forever War. Do we have the ability to fight another war, this one against a better equiped enemy who hasn't been weakened by a decade of sanctions?

Twin Fist

Grandmaster
Reaction score
did you not read what I posted?

We make war plans with everyone, just in case we need them. hell when I was in the navy i saw the plans for war with japan. and they were our bestest buddies back then in the 80's

as for why we might be worried about iran NOW?

do you REALLY need that explained to you?

newGuy12

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Do we have the ability to fight another war, this one against a better equiped enemy who hasn't been weakened by a decade of sanctions?

I don't know war science. There are military people on this board who can say, but my gut feeling is that we simply can't afford it, if nothing else. Again, as I posted above, who will lend us the money?

If Iran keeps #####-ing around, then, well, who knows? Of course, there is a BIG difference between HAVING a nuclear weapon (and a delivery system) and USING it. That's for sure. Now, as far as I know, Isreal *might* let the US know (or the US may speculate) that:

Isreal will preemptively strike Iran now (I, again, would NOT hold this against Isreal, they can do as they wish to protect themselves.)

The US may then say (in order to keep a World War at bay) -- "No, we will try to remove this threat, you will now stand down while the US command addresses this."

I'm not sure how this works. I do know that I, for one, think
Mahmoud Ahmadinejad is not to be trusted. That guy is a bad guy! He has already made that QUITE CLEAR himself!!! He seems to me to be more dangerous than Sadam Hussein was! But, no, our lackey president had to have forces invade Iraq. He could have concentrated on Afghanistan only, but instead he was foolish!

Twin Fist

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Just some food for thought.

look at a map of the middle east

afganistan-bad guys
iraq- bad guys
iran-bad guys

the mountains and russia are to the north.

whats in between the Afgans (where we have bases now) and iraq (where we have bases now)

IRAN

we have them cornered with mountains to the north and the ocean to the south.

Still think it was foolish?

OP
Bob Hubbard

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
did you not read what I posted?

We make war plans with everyone, just in case we need them. hell when I was in the navy i saw the plans for war with japan. and they were our bestest buddies back then in the 80's

as for why we might be worried about iran NOW?

do you REALLY need that explained to you?
Yes, I read it. This is however a discussion board with 9,000 members. Some of them might have more to add than your final word on the subject.

newGuy12

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Just some food for thought.

look at a map of the middle east

afganistan-bad guys
iraq- bad guys
iran-bad guys

the mountains and russia are to the north.

whats in between the Afgans (where we have bases now) and iraq (where we have bases now)

IRAN

we have them cornered with mountains to the north and the ocean to the south.

Still think it was foolish?

OH! You don't think that this was part of a larger plan, do you? To inhibit egress to Iraq?

newGuy12

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Well, I can say this -- and it goes without saying, but I will say it nonetheless.

IF Iraq does "turn" (become a country resembling the US, one that would support our interests)

THEN Bush will go down in history as being a Great Man, but I despair that there is little or no chance of that happening.

However, who can say until its over?

tellner

Senior Master
Reaction score
I seem to recall the Iranian government saying "You and what army?" when Chimpy last rattled his shrunken little saber at them. By "not taking anything off the table" he's left the open the possibility of strikes with strategic weapons. Given "Swinging" Dick Cheney opposition to strategic weapons treaties I'm a bit nervous.

Israel doesn't get along well with Iran, but a nuclear exchange between the two would hurt Iran and destroy Israel.

With Fallon gone the chance of a war goes up. He was widely seen as the last independent thinker in Bush's inner military circle. Since so many senior command staff have resigned what's left is mostly hacks and yes-men. If Shrubus Minimus wants a war he'll get one without any military objections.

If it happens in the next couple months there may be an election, so the sheep can vote for a Strong Abusive Republican Daddy to make them Feel Safe. If it happens near the end of Bush's term he will take complete power without bothering to invoke the powers the spineless Democrats helped grant him with the Warner Reauthorization Act, the bird flu legislation and the DMCA. If he's feeling a little less contempt than usual for the Constitution and the Rule of Law he may invoke the National Security Act and declare a State of Emergency With Limited Mobilization. That roughly translates to:

ash nazg durbatulûk, ash nazg gimbatul,
ash nazg thrakatulûk agh burzum-ishi krimpatul

newGuy12

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Yes, we will "take it", and not even have the common courtesy of having a reach around.

I forgot all about Fallon being fired.

LuzRD

Black Belt
Reaction score
On March 30, the Russian News & Information Agency, Novosti, cited "a high-ranking security source: "The latest military intelligence data point to heightened US military preparations for both an air and ground operation against Iran.".....

from an article that is a year old? 27/ 03/ 2007

couldve MAYBE read "On March 30, 2007..."??

FieldDiscipline

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
IF Iraq does "turn" (become a country resembling the US, one that would support our interests)

This is a big problem. The arab world seem to think America is intent on exporting its vision and model to the world. We cant do that, they are, and must be their own people. That was the idea of 'Iraqi Freedom' was it not?

lemme fill you guys in on something

there are ALWAYS people drawing up war plans

got that?

ALWAYS

it is all hypothetical, but there are teams of people that that is all they do, they pick a country, and draw up a hypothetical plan of how to wage war on that country

it's called planning. And if there is one thing the military LOVES to do besides train, it is PLAN

You practice MA of some kind I assume. Does that mean you PLAN on attacking someone?

no? then why practice self defense?

in case you have to

it is the same thing.

to quote Sgt Hulka

"settle down Francis"

Well said that man.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We rarely plans things ahead of time, we tend to be spontaneous but then this isn't the first time our army has been in Iraq, Afghanistan or Iran for that matter. I can't remember a time when the British army hasn't been at war, we were fighting in the Second World war obviously, then Korea and Malaya, Suez, Salalah in the 70's, the Falklands, the ongoing N Ireland situation, first Iraq war etc etc.
If America goes into Iran they are unlikely to be supported by our troops, we simply don't have them to open up another front. We are stretched far too thin now.

The Last Legionary

All warfare is based on deception.<br><b>nemo malu
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
It's been a desire of Dick Cheney to attack Syria, Iraq and Iran for decades.

tellner

Senior Master
Reaction score
It's been a desire of Dick Cheney to attack Syria, Iraq and Iran for decades.

Fine. Hand him a rifle and extra batteries for his pacemaker and let him and his hand-puppet lead the charge. They can command the 101st Fighting Keyboardists, Rush, Mike Wiener, Michelle Malkin and the entire cast of the Free Republic and LGF.

Latest Discussions